Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 04-04-2005, 07:11 AM   #21
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Default Re: Detonation

I know your trying to make a smart remark out it, but yeah regardless of brand they all have some bad out of the crate problems. That said if I was going to buy a bike with the sole purpose of reliability it would probably be a Honda. I don't own one because either they don't fit me or I don't like something about a particular model.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2005, 07:13 AM   #22
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Ditto, do not screw around with it. Go directly back to the dealer and make sure everything is documented.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:16 AM   #23
Tigercub
Founding Member

I haven't read the responses, so this may have been said already, but I'll at least relate my story.

I bought a Triumph Speed 4 three years ago (has it been that long?) and I swear it pinged during break-in (the first 500miles). I brought it to the dealer and he stuffed a gas analyzer into the header pipe and connected a computer to the bikes computer. It showed very lean CO (~0.9%). Triumph claimed that at about idle it should run 1.5 to about 3%. I asked to have the CO increased to at least 2%. After that I would still run into an occasional pinging on low speed acceleration, but after a few thousand miles it completely disappeared.

Carbon monoxide levels in the exhaust, before the muffler, should be upwards of several %. This means the fuel to air ratio is not too lean. And these bikes run lean from the factory!!. But any decent dealer can tell you exactly what is happening with the fuel-air ratio by checking CO, and oxygen from the exhaust pipe. I can't imagine there is a modern bike shop that doesn't have that equipment. They can also check intake manifold pressure, throttle position sensor and fuel delivery etc. It should hardly take them more than a few minutes to check all that and get you going. And it should all be done under warranty. If not, go somewhere else!
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:31 AM   #24
johnnyb
Founding Member

Cashley? what about water injection to control this problem, as used on WWII aircraft engines flown by Kevin Cameron. I would drive the CBR1000RR into a lake and see if problem persists.

Side note: Do you wear earplugs? I have always found they eliminate a lot of engine noise problems.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:39 AM   #25
bazuki
Founding Member

The easiest ways to eliminate detonation are as follows: Keep the revs up, don't lug the motor. The detonation process is time sensitive, higher revs=less time for predetonation chemical changes to take place. Make the fuel mixture richer, less lean. Reduce the spark advance, retard the timing slightly. Your factory settings may be off on fuel mixture or timing. I'd have them checked out.
bazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 12:18 PM   #26
staff
Registered Member

The problem with water injection, unlike such things as -- for instance -- blowing hot air is that it's a finite resource. Yer tank runs dry in the former, but apparently there's infinite capacity in the latter system.
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 04:52 PM   #27
SuperBill
Founding Member

Default If you cant hear it it ain't there...

My God, johnnyb, you have annunciated yet another "Inarguable Motorcycle Truth"! The main reason I wear a helmet is 'cause I can't stand the valve train noise from my old airhead. Add a set of earplugs and that thing purrs like a kitten. SweetÂ….

BTW, forget the lake-fed water injection. Back in the day, J.C. Whitney used to offer a "Cool Can" fuel conditioning device. Looked like a #4 tin can with a coil of copper tube wrapped around it. You simply installed it somewhere in the fuel line between the pump and carburetor, filled the can with ice, and enjoyed the benefits of significantly increased horsepower, better fuel mileage, and a complete elimination of "pinging." All for about ten bucks. I'm not sure if this item is still offered, but it shouldn't be too hard to fabricate one. Don't know if it works with fuel injection, throughÂ….

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote