Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 01-20-2005, 05:52 AM   #11
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default Re: Warm Weather Gear

I have a mesh jacket from Marsee. It has good padding in the elbows, shoulders and spine. Pretty good fit for a guy with an average build, too.

Don't use it very much though. If I wear a t-shirt underneath the jacket, it feels like I'm wearing a plastic bag. Even with the good mesh fabric, the thing doesn't breathe well at a stand still.

When I'm moving it's a different story. The jacket seems to disappear. Which is really nice untill...

The ambient temperature gets really hot. When I ride through hot windblast, I feel like it's burning or cooking my skin. You ever notice that firemen's suits aren't made with mesh? When the temps get really hot, you want some nice sturdy fabric between you and the hot wind. At least I do.

For summer time, I've found that lighter cordura works best for me.
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2005, 06:12 AM   #12
tomk2
Founding Member

Default Re: Or Maybe Not...

What failed on your jacket, did the stitching give way or did the fabric just wear through?

I wonder if we have the same jacket... my FirstGear mesh jacket has some soft pads on the outside and an armor pocket on the inside of the shoulder.

I've upgraded the internal armor with some good dual density CE approved stuff but I guess that armor won't do much good if the whole damn jacket disintegrates.
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 06:21 AM   #13
johnnyb
Founding Member

hey i can post again! how exciting. i think when you're thinking bike jackets and money it's not a bad idea to bear in mind that a good leather one will last you a lifetime, provided you don't get too fat. Vanson perf gear is very nice stuff and will never go out of fashion if that matters... some that textile stuff is so, so... sears kids section looking.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 07:30 AM   #14
ddlewis
Registered Member

Default pants..

Hey, how about those Alter Ego pants.. I like the idea of the panel, in case you get caught out after dark and the temps drop. Do you have a pair, and if so what do you think? The JR Ballistic 3.0 pants that I have are great in the cold and wet and damn near unbearable in temps above 75F.

The other pants I've seen that claim to be mesh aren't visually meshy like the jackets. (By which I mean a tighter weave.)
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 07:56 AM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

I bought a pair of Tour Master summer gloves that have leather palms and fabric backs. When moving the air flows freely and the glove fully covers your hand and fingers, keeping the sun off. I like them better than perforated leather or fingerless.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:56 AM   #16
Fenton
Founding Member

I've have a mesh Honda Racing(first gear) with armor. I really like it. However, the fact that you can read the paper through it doesn't inspire crash confidence. I recently bought a perforated Roadgear leather jacket with a liner. I am really impressed with the quality and how warm it is in 40 degree weather with just a T-shirt. I really wanted a Vanson but the cut is too short for my torso. I think the quality of the Roadgear is just as good and the comfort is better than the Vanson, Bates, Alpinestar and Dainsee jackets I tried.

--Good Luck
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 09:59 AM   #17
pushrod
Founding Member

Default Re: pants..

I have the 1.0 Ballistic pants, and you're right... they are a tad warm, even with the sides unzipped. My officemate just bought the AE Jacket and pants but has not had the opportunity to try the "vented" configuration yet.

One other consideration for warm weather kit- when the garments get funky, the textile versions are a lot less trouble to clean.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:22 AM   #18
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Re: Or Maybe Not...

The external pads and the abrasion resistant mesh ripped away, exposing just the athletic mesh inner liner. The seams ripped. The annoying thing was the armor pad is not stitched onto a solid backing of the abrasion resistant material, rather there is just a fine denier material under there. I have pics if you are really interested.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 02:05 PM   #19
Agent0090
Founding Member

"I just got a new CBR1000RR.... and am loving it. But since we got a swift kick of warm weather here in San Diego again . . . . "

Bite me.
Agent0090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 02:10 PM   #20
Agent0090
Founding Member

. . . . 'cause I'm watching snow fall.

(Something to that effect was actually in my first post, but I put it between the "less than" and the "greater than" symbols and it disappeared. Odd. Must be some of that HTML magic about which I know nothing.)

Agent0090 is offline   Reply With Quote