Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 01-15-2005, 04:43 AM   #1
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Zero gravity vs. laminar lip

IMO a smoke or color matched Zero Gravity or Double Bubble screen looks better than the Laminar Lip on the bike.

I had a smoke Z.G. on a ZX1000R that worked pretty good and looked great with the red and black color scheme. It was on there when I bought the bike so I can't say how it compared stock, but I didn't notice any XS noise or backpressure with it on.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2005, 04:55 AM   #2
Buzz_Waloch
Founding Member

I've got a Lip on my Ducati ST4 and it works pretty well. It seems to smooth the air-flow a bit and provide a bigger pocket of air. It ain't the prettiest contraption though.

I think LL's claims of "increased downforce" are a total joke.
I sincerely apologize for my antics her at MO. It is readily apparent that the majority of MO readers do not appreciate my megalomaniac WWF MO persona. Like the husband that is the last to know his wife is having an affair, I did not understand the detrim
Buzz_Waloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 05:15 AM   #3
sarnali
Founding Member

I've always wondered if just taking a hole saw and drilling a few 1 inch holes along the bottom of a stock windshield would do the same thing. My Bandit had a pressure relieving slot along the bottom of the shield and I felt no buffetting or back pressure at all. I didn't even need ear plugs with it, unlike my Trophy.

I've been planning on getting a short summer screen for my bike so maybe I'll try drilling it and see what happens. I don't want to mess with my tall winter screen 'cause it's nice on these 29 degree mornings.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 06:54 AM   #4
Outlander
Founding Member

I had the ZG on my FZ-1 and it improved airflow quite a bit for me. The "for me" part is the key because everyone's individual size makes all the difference.

There are some positive reviews on the laminar lip over at motorcycle-usa where they put it on a couple of the bikes in their 'Reality bikes' shootout.
Outlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 07:37 AM   #5
Jake18
Founding Member

I would liike to know if anyone has combined the Zero Gravity Touring with a Laminar Lip Touring and what the results were.
Jake18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:17 AM   #6
redtale
Founding Member

After putting 110,000 miles on a '98 SuperHawk, I decided to try a couple of ZG screens. The "DoubleBubble" version seemed to be very little different from the stock, lowish, screen aside from looking pretty good in "dark smoke". The Sport Touring screen, however, provides significantly better wind protection. There is about the same amount of minor buffeting as the stock screen but it occurs several inches higher and I can get below it with only a slight crouch during high speed (90+) riding instead of going to a full race tuck. BTW I'm 6'2". ZG also has a "return if not satisfied policy" on their Touring screens. One additional suggestion: go for the "light smoke" or clear (as opposed to "Dark"). The screen is tall enough that you occasionally need to look through it and the Dark screen is almost opaque.

I wish I'd put this on 100,000 miles ago.
redtale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:42 AM   #7
Holy_Kaw
Founding Member

The best thing I've noticed to reduce buffeting while riding is Lose the fairing! and stay away from Semi's. A good riding suit gives me all the comfort I need. Ride NAKED!!!
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:54 AM   #8
Holy_Kaw
Founding Member

The old Windjammer fairing had those "pop-out" vents down low and that seemed to work well. As far as riding in the cold... go electric baby, it rocks! 29 degrees, that's obscene! 72F here, check ya'll later (step, step, step... the sound of a powerful 1200cc Kawasaki coming to life... the sound fades into the distance...).
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 01:46 PM   #9
Fenton
Founding Member

I tried the "lip" on a ZRX1200, the buffeting made my eyeballs vibrate. I was very pleased at how willing the Laminar guys were to refund my money. I have a ZG touring screen now and love it. FYI, my local shop did not have a part # for the taller screen in the current catalog. I used the ZG website.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 03:16 PM   #10
Buzz_Waloch
Founding Member

Too bad the sound never turns a corner! Watch out for the little old ladies.
I sincerely apologize for my antics her at MO. It is readily apparent that the majority of MO readers do not appreciate my megalomaniac WWF MO persona. Like the husband that is the last to know his wife is having an affair, I did not understand the detrim
Buzz_Waloch is offline   Reply With Quote