Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 11-23-2004, 11:49 AM   #1
bollert
Registered Member

Default Re: I'm thinking Litre Bike....

Here's the problem - litre bikes will be running up to 100 mph when doing a power wheelie in first gear. You're not watching for cops when the wheel is up. My ZX-10R is a wheelie monster, but if I approach the rev limiter in a power wheelie - 100MPH. That's just 1st gear. It'll do it in 2nd and 3rd too, but then the speeds are more outrageous. If you are an experienced wheelie-er, then you can balance a wheelie at a steady speed, but you don't need a litre bike for that. Get a bike with some low end torque like a Ducati, Buell or maybe even an SV, then you can wheelie off the the bottom of the tach. Safer for you and your license
bollert is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-23-2004, 11:58 AM   #2
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

If you're just looking for a bike to do wheelies on, the best (stock) candidate I've ever run across is an FZ-1. If you can't wheelie one of those, you shouldn't be wheelying, period. However, with the right mods, any bike can do wheelies, including a 250 Rebel.

As far as literbikes go, I'd put my money on an R1, since the performance of all of them is pretty similar, and to me it looks the best. The Honda, to me, is fat and ugly. If I couldn't get an R1 I would buy the ZX-10.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:01 PM   #3
red916
Founding Member

Oh jeez....... Do we really have to endure this? C'mon MO!
red916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 12:07 PM   #4
GogglesPaisano
Founding Member

Default PAGING MR. ALLCAPS, OVER.

I assume he's still floating in his tank, lurking...

-=Goggles=-
GogglesPaisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 12:21 PM   #5
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Keep your GSXR600 and learn to do 150mph stoppies before attemting 100mph+ wheelies. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 12:51 PM   #6
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Having ridden both the '04 R1 and the 10R, and seeing how peaky their revbands are, I would say go for an older R1 (or maybe a GSXR1000). My 2000 R1 felt SO much stronger below, say, 8000 rpm than these two that I couldn't believe it. Its an undersquare long-stroke diesel compared to the new bikes' high-revving Honda v-tecs. That said, it still has a raging top end, it just doesn't feel like it has a turbo bolted on.

This low-end torque, along with the R1's short wheelbase, make it probably the easiest wheelieing bike ever made. Even with a relatively tall top gear (about 80 in first gear) you can clutch it up at about 15 mph and ride all the way through redline which ends up being a pretty decently long wheelie if you get it high enough. I am too scared to shift during wheelies and probably always will be, knowing a couple guys who looped their bikes trying to shift. But the older, high-torque, shorter-geared R1 is the wheelie machine for all time. Jumping from the older R1 to the newer bikes is like night and day. Torque has been sacrificed for top-end power. High torque makes wheelies much easier in my opinion. I had a hard time doing any wheelies with my first bike, a GSXR600. They were so easy with the R1 that now I can loft one just about anywhere at anytime, though I would rather spend my time in the turns.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 12:55 PM   #7
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Pine Box for sale?

You better grow up a lot before you go buy your big bike.

Or... just invest in some serious life insurance... I can think of a few suggestions if you don't have any ideas for benefactors.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:01 PM   #8
tomk2
Founding Member

best wheelie bike ever... the Honda MiniTrail 70 I had in 5th grade. You didn't even need to crack the throttle (lucky thing) to wheelie, just grip the bars and throw your weight back

plus I was at the very best age to appreciate that kinda stuff

tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:08 PM   #9
Vlad
Registered Member

I second that motion. The SV 1000 is a wicked wheelie bike, even though the wheelies often happen unintentionally. Any other thoughts from you MOrons?

By the way, I think doing wheelies on a public road is an invitation to cranial damage, so the only time I've ever done a wheelie is by mistake. I generally try to keep the front wheel on the ground.

And the only people that I've ever seen doing a wheelie and stay stable are people like Ben Bostrom, Matt Mladin, etc. Rossi can likely do one sidesaddle. So, if you're as good as they are, are on a track, and are wearing full body armor, wheelie all you want.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:13 PM   #10
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Best willy bike evah...

Mini Trails were ok but hands down the best wheelie bike ever was the "Go Devil" foldable scooter. Period. One handed, backwards stand-up wheelies, while holding a tall Coors, were all possible on the Go Devil.