Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 11-24-2004, 05:48 AM   #41
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: I'm thinking Litre Bike....

I've always said that hunting would be much more of a sport if the deer could shoot back, but what happened in Wisconsin wasn't what I had in mind.

Barehanded, Rattlesnake hunting: Now, there's a sport.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-24-2004, 05:53 AM   #42
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I don't think we have to choose one or the other.

It's kind of like drinking a black and tan. You get yer Ale and yer Guiness in the same gulp.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 05:59 AM   #43
Mooner
Founding Member

You are correct. I enjoy the curvey roads as well, but scraping pegs and doing two wheel drifts on the street is not necessarily any safer.
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 06:04 AM   #44
pdad13
Founding Member

This is a joke, right?

This summer, I saw a pack of numbskulls on the L.I.E. through fast-moving, but fairly heavy traffic. This one dude pulls a massive stand-up wheelie in the HOV lane at about 80 mph and then runs over a the depression/drainage grate. He almost loops it.

By the way, he was approximately 2 feet from a concrete barrier on his left, and closely followed by some tailgaiting idiot in an SUV. By any number of equations he would have been very, very dead. And leaving a very ugly corpse for his family to bury. Incendently, at the same time, two of his buddies almost erased each other chasing through traffic at about 90. Of course, I've seen hundreds of dopes just like them.

Rob, I don't mean to sound preachy, but wheelieing is no reason to buy a liter bike. I don't have a problem with wheelieing or stunting if that's your thing, but it shouldn't be done on public roads at highway speeds.

There's a lot more to riding than stunts.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 06:21 AM   #45
Flickmeister
Registered Member

Rob,

Er.....ah, how many times have your already landed on your head to determine wheelies are the most important part of motorcycling and you need a 1000ccs to do it? Best I can tell, both are far from the truth.

Understand, I am not addressing this from an ability to wheelie point of view. The worst image in all of motorcycling is rude sportbike riders acting like idiots on the roadways. High speed wheelies bewtween lanes of traffic being a major contributor.

Since you already have the right weapon (GSXR600), why don't you try the real fun of our sport and go to a good track school to learn cornering and master the sensation of lean angles? That is the venue I enjoy most.

I had an '03 Gixxer Thou. It was a fabulous bike, just too much motor for any sane riding. It required entirely too much right wrist restraint to be any real fun. I sold it and bought an '04 GSXR600.....the most fun I've had on a bike in over 40 years of riding. If you like the corners and the tap dance of keeping your motor screaming in it's upper stratoshere, ain't nothin' like a good 600. 'Sides, when you get good, you can drive your literbike buddies absolutely insane with jealousy in the turns. Yee-ha! If wheelies are your major goal, what I've suggested here doesn't mean a thing. However, if the ultime fun on two wheels is your goal, it might be worth a thought. Enjoy the ride. Cheers, Jack
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 06:22 AM   #46
tumbler
Founding Member

Greco-Roman bear wrestling
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 06:37 AM   #47
jungkvist
Founding Member

Putting aside the narrow focus of death-by-wheelie; of the bikes IÂ’ve ridden, IÂ’d say that the FZ1, the V-Strom and the Naked SV1000 are about as good as it gets, when it comes to combining stupid-fun and practicality (never ridden a Tuono but IÂ’d love to get my hands on one).

I’ve always liked the idea of a Swiss Army Bike – something that can do just about everything – and those three fit the bill.

I know that the idea of a SAB might not exactly fit the topic, but advising someone whoÂ’s willing to pony up ten-large, just so he can do wheelies and litter the highway with his remains, is kinda surreal, donÂ’t ya think?

Old 11-24-2004, 06:37 AM   #48
LA
Registered Member

I really don't understand the wheelie thing, but. I've got a 04 S4R with a little over 3,000 mi. on it and I believe it would be a wheelie freaks dream. It's a way excellent motorcycle -handles moutain turns like it's on rails and just hauls ass.

LA
LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 06:39 AM   #49
jungkvist
Founding Member

Now, there's a Pay-Per-View Special if I ever heard one.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:46 AM   #50
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

I do remember.

This was a reader submission and this is an open forum. It is actually FREE for the entire world to read and in no way part of the subscription side of Motorcycle.Com.