Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 11-23-2004, 05:01 PM   #21
VR1000racer
Founding Member

Default Re: I'm thinking Litre Bike....

Hey fella,

Just get on Ebay and buy a used 96-99 Buell Lightning with a race kit.

torque wheelies at about 2,200 revs (10 mph). Just roll into the throttle.

The race kit ignition raises the rev limit to 7,000, so you can carry a wheelie a fair distance, and still be only doing about 45 when the wheel touches down, or you decide to try the 1-2 shift, which CAN be done, but I recomend a reworked shift drum and undercut trany if you are going to do it reliably.

Otherwise, when you miss the 1-2 shift, and slam the bike down, whilest pegging the rev limiter and making all the noise of, get this, a RACE header & muffler, you look like a total dork to everyone in a 3 block radius that suddenly turned to look at you.

PS- A used Buell like this will only bring about $ 3500 - $ 4500. The higher price will usually include a Penske shock, the race kit, and occassionally an aftermarket seat.

The bike will be fun, fast enough, and with about 80 - 85 ftlbs at the rear wheel, it will leave a corner HARD. Think CR500 with shorter seat height and no ring-ding.

Have fun. Did you know that you CAN wheelie a VR1000?! (But only once per clutch!)

VR1000racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-23-2004, 05:22 PM   #22
Buzglyd
Founding Member

My guess is the squidly question is coming from someone who wants to wheelie down the freeway. Low speed wheelies have no value on Interstate 5.

When are you gonna share that VR1000 with your fellow MOrons?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 05:23 PM   #23
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Tuono vs SV

The tuono is a great bike, but, last I remember it's $12,000. The SV1000 is not selling that great, so the dealers down here are letting 'em go for around $7,000.

Makes a difference to me.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 05:32 PM   #24
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Tuono vs SV

Aprilia's aren't exactly rocketing out of the showrooms but I doubt you could find one for 7 grand.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 11:04 PM   #27
jimmihaffa
Founding Member

I empathize with your predicament Swammy. I too grew tired of mundane one-wheeled tricks on public roadways. To add to the challenge of spirited riding, I recently picked up a Vulcan 2000 and honed my wheelie skills aboard that 120 ft/lb torque monster. Thankfully, I reside in a county whose local troopers are avid MO enthusiasts. The boys in blue were delighted when I offered to donate my spare time that would have otherwise been spent scraping pegs and wheeling my machine off-hours to more noble pursuits, like helping less learned riders develop the same skills. My stay at the local correctional facility has allowed me ample time to instruct bikers of all riding levels on the finer points of endoing their Panheads and wheeling their Shovelheads. I hope this helps. Peace & happy riding Swammy.
jimmihaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 02:41 AM   #28
5valvethumper
Founding Member

This is MUCH better than new bike reviews... or babe photos, product reviews, or interviews w/pro riders, or touring stories, or......
5valvethumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 03:29 AM   #29
tumbler
Founding Member

Default Or...

People *****ing about content...
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 03:32 AM   #30
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Beware of Land Mines

This whole thingÂ’s kinda goofy. Far be it for me to tell someone else how to live their life, but doing wheelies near the national speed-limit seems like a questionable practice. Ya gotta remember that when youÂ’re riding on public roads youÂ’re performing without a net.

Personally, I think "stunt-riding" is a valid sport. However, thereÂ’s a time and place for it, and a certain level of skill that should be achieved before doing it. Stunters, like them or not, tent to pay a high price in pain and parts to learn those skills. So, if this guys is dead-set on doing that sort of thing, I really think he ought do some serious wood-shedding.

Remember that we have no idea what this guyÂ’s skill level is. And, IÂ’d hate like hell to have any of these posts come up in a liability case where MO, and any number of us, might be the defendants. Also, I wouldnÂ’t like the idea of having anyoneÂ’s blood on my hands.

Whether heÂ’s a squid or not, wonÂ’t matter to the family, or the lawyer, of anyone whoÂ’s kid ends up being road kill. Besides, motorcycling is constantly facing an uphill battle in image department, so encouraging this guy might not be a good idea.