Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-11-2004, 02:43 AM   #41
Pulsar
Founding Member

Default Re: New rider, pretty tall, a little MO experience, what bike?

hehe, well, i rode the bandit as my second bike with two years riding experience and i always felt lucky that i haven't rode it at the age of 18 or 20.. but why is it the opposite of what beginners shoud ride? because of the ~100HP power? or do you think that the torque is too dangerous for beginners? i'd say a 600 supersport is exactly the opposite of what beginners should ride.. machines that you need to squeeze out at high revs for feeling its power.. which means 50-65mph even at first gear.

not to speak about their ultra potent brakes.

with a big bandit, you can keep rolling in the 5th gear at any speed and just open the throttle for accelerating nice and smooth.

but okay, maybe then it wasn't the best advice.. we keep discussing that issue on the banditforum.de (~6000 riders) and there are quite a lot of beginner guys feeling good on a B12. others that chose a 600 got bored after their first year and started longing for the 1200, often not able to afford another bike after 2 years.

the 1200 motor is good for >>60.000mls.. just have a look how cheap second hand 12 bandits are. hard to find any better bang for the buck i'd say.

hey shagma.. best would be.. try them all out
Pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2004, 03:30 AM   #42
wilro09
Registered Member

Default VERY GOOD ADVICE

Take this to heart buy something used/cheap like a Honda 750 Nighthawk. Very reliable, fairly roomy, powerful enough to be fun but not too powerful for a beginner. After six months you'll know whether you want a cruiser, sportbike, or naked. Many of the new naked bikes are very comfortable for tall guys. I'm 6'2" with a 34 inseam. I ride a '94 Honda CB1000. Very comfortable, powerful, and fun.
wilro09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 05:22 AM   #43
IceWorm
Registered Member

Bandit is way too much bike for a beginner. Don't be fooled by testamonials either. You will hear people say "I started out on a Bandit 1200 with no problem". I am sure there are some who died starting out on a Bandit 1200, unfortunately they are not around to caution against picking that bike for a first ride. It is a numbers game, you want to select a motorcycle that gives you the best chance at surviving the learning curve. A used KLR 650 is a good choice, as is a Bandit 600, SV650, F650, Nighthawk 750, ZR750. Most importantly buy something used with less than 10K miles, for less than $5K. Heck, you can get a nice KLR for less than $3K.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 05:40 AM   #44
GrufRude
Registered Member

I'd put my money into a KLR650 Kawasaki. They are readily available for $3200 slightly used, they have a HUGE aftermarket support system due to their military use, and will perform well as a commuter, fire-road explorer, and are fast enough to keep up on the freeway. They make a great beginner bike for a tall guy AND if you decide to move to a bigger street bike, you can keep the KLR as your adventure tourer . . .
GrufRude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 06:37 AM   #45
theirishscion
Registered Member

Seconded. I've put 10,000 miles on my Nighthawk (CB750 for those who prefer sensible model names) in the last year or so. I picked it up 'cause I'm 6'2" (but leggy, and I'm 28 for what it's worth) and I fit on it just about ok. That and I've previously only ridden little baby european bikes (250s, 350s) in europe and I wasn't sure what would be appropriate in Texas. (Oh, and the Irish motorcycle police have used CB750s since the stone age (for good reason), and I leared to ride from one of them... (sigh) fond memories...)

The whole 'cruiser' thing seemed like it might be a good idea when I was shopping. In fact I came within about an inch of buying a 2nd hand VLX1200 or something, I forget the details. As it turns out this was a lucky escape. I'm just not a Cruiser person, even though they are big and look like they should be comfortable, I need to be upright or canted forward to be comfortable (and I suppose one could fiddle with peg position and saddles and so on and so forth, and get a cruiser comfy for my fat arse, but that seems like it would be a lot of work just to get what my CB750 came with out of the factory).

All that said, for some reason I seem to end up primarily riding with friends on sportsters and fatboys. Believe it or not, I'm actually the 'fast' one when we go out. (All the real sportsbike riding MoRons out there are rolling on the ground laughing with tears streaming down their faces right about now...)

Of course, there are risks to starting out gentle on a 'real' motorcycle (ducks!)... Now I'm lusting after a 919 (commuting) AND an ST1300 (touring). This could get expensive...

My late father rode (and raced) a Vincent HRD Rapide (S1), which was apparently very comfortable, despite his 6'4" frame. So if you're after a classic and want to spend a few bucks... (Also about the best bike ever built, try for a Series 3 Black Shadow if you can)

///d
Old 10-11-2004, 11:30 AM   #46
Chango
Founding Member

We agree on one thing - beginners shouldn't be riding a 600 supersport because of the way they have to be ridden to get any kind of peformance out of them, and the brakes can throw them over the clipons. But, the Bandit 12 makes just as much power, but so much torque that it can throw a beginner off the back. Therefor, neither is a good choice for a beginner. Personally, I am even hesitant about recommending a 1,000 cc cruiser to a beginner. While they won't be flipping over backwards from the power, if you're not accustomed to it, it can be somewhat intimidating. When I first got my Bandit 600 after driving basically nothing but small cars with smaller engines, the first time I yanked the throttle open in 6th gear at all of 4,500 rpm, I thought my arms were going to be pulled from their sockets. After a couple of years I have become acustomed to the amount of power available from an engine that dates back to when Adam and Eve were discussing apple pie for dessert. Bear in mind that the B6 will accelerate faster than most cars that cost less than 75,000, and even some that cost far more.

As for folks who are "longing for the 1200" after a year, they are probably only using the power in a straight line, like me. I'm looking for a Yamaha YZF600R now, but it's not because I need more power or better handling or better brakes. I still don't consistently use the full capabilities of the B6, other than striaght line acceleration. The real reason is because Yamaha is forking over boatloads of money to bring us a GP next year.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:24 PM   #47
SuperBill
Founding Member

If youÂ’re tall, BMW has the bikes for you. Even their short bikes are tall. Throw in a wide "touring" saddle, and a 32-inch inseam is using tiptoes at stoplights! On top of that, even the older ones have somewhat adjustable ergonomics (pegs, controls, bars, etc.) that can make life more comfortable for taller riders.

You can pick up a late 80’s early 90’s "air-head" (horizontally opposed, air-cooled twin) for not a whole lot of cash, and most old Beemers have been lovingly maintained by their somewhat anal-retentive owners. And don’t let the 800 to 1000 cc motors scare you – the liter motor only makes about 60 HP, and it takes a passenger on the back and a six pack under the belt to get one of those things to wheelie. These bikes can nevertheless outgun just about any bike in the costume party crowd, offer few surprises in the handling department, and cost next to nothing to insure. And most maintenance can be done by a reasonably handy owner.

The only drawback? Hanging out with the Beemer crowd, of which you are approximately half the average age. But hey, if you play it right, you can get yourself an old airhead on the cheap, ride it for a couplaÂ’ years, sell it for what you paid for it, then go on to buy the latest-greatest KawaYamaHonZuki after youÂ’ve learned the ropes.

Welcome to the club!

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 02:14 PM   #48
Dixit
Registered Member

I am not too sure about recommending the Honda XR 650 L: I believe that it has the tallest seat of all but the OE tires are not good on or off road, it vibrates quite a lot, the front brake is just adequate on the street. Sold mine two days ago.
Dixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 11:56 PM   #49
Pulsar
Founding Member

hmm.. agreed.. maybe i should have recalled the feeling opening the throttle of my first bike, a GSX750 in 4th gear, in the first days after i got my driving license.. when speeds around 65mph on the freeway felt really fast.

so then.. nevertheless, shagma.. if (!) you're going for a normal street bike and watch out for a low priced one, then maybe try the ergonomics of a bandit (600) frame

Pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 08:22 PM   #50
Archangel_1976
Founding Member

Heya. I'm 6'5" and 240. Just got a new CBR1000RR. I have about 20 years total riding experience between street and dirt. Thing is.... go to a shop.... take a look around. Sit on the things. Make the salespeople earn their pay. Get feedback (and take it with a grain of salt.... they're trying to sell something). Ask other people who ride up to the shop. ASK QUESTIONS. You're on a good start asking questions here. Just remember.... the fit on a bike... how comfy it is.... will have a lot to do with how much you ride it... and enjoy it. Cruisers..... you can get a nice one for a good price. Especially things like the Honda Shadow and such. Even a good bike like the FZ1 or Z1000...... are great for the price. As for used.... you can get real bargains that way..... but be aware.... it isn't like a used car. A used car craps out on you... chances are.... no biggie. A used bike.... say... a wheel is ****ed up.... and you can get seriously mussed. With a used bike... do the homework. Inspect the bike..... really well. Get a pro to check it out. Also.... Just bear in mind..... safety. Look at the Motorcycle Safety Foundation and take the beginner's course. $200 will get you the course and a rental bike... like a Rebel 250. It'll teach you the basics..... and can usually count as your license test. One quick note though: IF you ever disrespect the bike... that's when you'll likely get hurt. Play it safe.... and don't overestimate your riding ability. Take the time.... learn. Stay alive.... and you'll have your entire life to enjoy motorcycling. And that's the important part, right?
Archangel_1976 is offline   Reply With Quote