Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   New rider, pretty tall, a little MO experience, what bike? (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/2541-new-rider-pretty-tall-little-mo-experience-what-bike.html)

mile_eater 10-08-2004 06:21 PM

Re: New rider, pretty tall, a little MO experience, what bike?

I would recommend an old CBR1000f. Linked brakes. Very forgiving. Very predictable. Enough power to get you out of trouble, not so much power that you'll kill yourself with stupidity.

It's heavy, but handles well. Again.. what matters most? How forgiving is the bike? The 1000effer is VERY forgiving.

tomhorn 10-08-2004 08:00 PM

Being of sub-Burnsian size, I can only recommend bikes I can't get my leg over, like Honda's XR650s. Plenty of used ones around that can be had relatively cheap.

maxriderdon 10-09-2004 02:30 AM

Sean , The 750 is still sold by Kawasaki, and is a much different bike than the 800. The 800 copies many other bikes out there. The 750 is great 80's Japanese work, shaft drive, comes with real motorcycle wheels not bicycle wheels (little spokes) stepped seat, aggressive footprint, tach included, even self adjusting valves. Like the big K Voyager (2004 is last yr. but a lot of us buy used) overlooked by MO. Don't own either but I think they are both great bikes especially for the $. Wish MO would keep bikes like these in mind instead of only sticking with the latest models or some strange old weird bike which almost no one is likely to own. We want real world bikes. There are still plenty of those you guys can review instead of the weird bikes. Hey not coming down on you guys, just recommending what in my opinion would be an improvement.

sarnali 10-09-2004 05:21 AM

If I was just starting out I'd want to learn on something like the KLR, for durability, price, availability of used ones and aftermarket support it's probably the most realistic choice.

The best place to learn basic skills is in the dirt, I rode dirt bikes and raced MX, Trials and Enduro's for 6 years before I rode on the street.

My M.S.F. class was Make Sure I didn't F**k up my dads bike.

iamz 10-09-2004 05:58 AM

750 Shadow Spirit

I'm pretty sure you will be unhappy with the 750 Shadow Spirit. I'm 5'11'' with a very long inseem and have found it too cramped for my legs. I just recently added 2" of height to the seat which helps a little but still not good enough for long rides. And yes, I have put in some long days on this bike of over 600 miles so I know what I'm talking about.

Suzuki DR650SE

I picked up the DR this spring and have put on over 6000 miles including a trip from MN to Ohio (AMA Vintage Motorcycle Show) this summer. It has also become my main commmuter bike. I can stand flat footed on the bike yet it does not leave me cramped at all when on the pegs. It has more than enough power to drive at a sustained 70 mph interstate run but is most happy around 60 - 65 mph. I only weigh in at 130 lbs but had an additional 50 lbs of hard luggage and gear on the bike on the Ohio trip and the additional weight didn't seem to slow her down at all.

The DR handles exceedingly well once you get used to the long travel suspension and some fork dive.

Also, as long as you won't be driving in extreem cold, don't let the fact that the bike has no wind protection bother you. On cold mornings in the 30's and 40's I wish I did have some protection but in summer heat I found 300 - 400 mile riding days not at all tiring.

The neat part about this bike is you can actualy take it off road. And if you dump it on the street or off road, it will most likely sustain only cosmetic damage. But who cares, it's really just a big dirt bike anyway.

steve_griffiths 10-09-2004 10:17 AM

Lots of good recommendations. Even if your cash flow is sad, don't forget to factor in the cost of gear - healmet, jacket, pants, boots etc. It's not cheap but.......

Cheers

Grif

bikerlarry 10-09-2004 10:23 AM

V-Strom 650 is the ticket.

g-bear 10-09-2004 11:56 AM

Great comment. Thanks.

G

12er 10-10-2004 12:17 AM

I would assume he meant a used 640 adventure.

gas_pig 10-10-2004 08:39 AM

My slightly used DRZ400S was/is my first bike. I mostly bought it ride in the woods with my buddies. Now I also use it to commute to work on nice days (35 minutes each way, no hiway). I love it and it's been modified for my purposes. I'm 6' and it's great except for long stretches of hiway. If you do get one, I'd recommend some bar risers to open up the ergos a bit.

I'm now looking for a street bike to add to my garage. Most likely a SV650 or if I get a crazy hair... a ZRX1200R. I'm never selling my DRZ though.

Good luck.