Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-08-2004, 10:40 AM   #21
pushrod
Founding Member

Default Re: New rider, pretty tall, a little MO experience, what bike?

Whilst more expensive than the KLR, the KTM Adventure is another DP that gets good marks.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2004, 11:13 AM   #22
Chango
Founding Member

Default 3rd

I love my Bandit 600 to death, but if I had started out on a Bandit 1200 I would almost certainly be dead. Yes, the B6 is my first bike, and I have had no problems with it that haven't been caused by me. I've stripped out the oil drain plug, fried the clutch with car oil (at least, it started slipping about a week after I put car oil in, and now six months later it still slips when cold), and it has fallen over in the parking lot once. But, other than those things which were all completely my fault, the bike has been as reliable as a paperweight for 2 years and 31,000 miles. That's not a typo. In fact, the valves have only needed one adjustment when it was 7,500 miles old. At 25,000 (about a month ago) they were still just fine.

Of course, last week I managed to scrape the right footpeg (yes, I am slow, but I haven't had any trouble keeping up with anyone I've ridden with yet except for one guy on a Honda Shadow. He was faster than I am slow!), so I guess it's time to move on. After all, according to KPaul logic now that I've scraped one footpeg one time I must be the epitome of all motorcyclists everywhere, and even if Sean were on a ZX-10R, he wouldn't stand a chance against me on a track... Or something.

"Remember: It's always easier to do things the hard way." -- Chango
Old 10-08-2004, 11:19 AM   #23
kowalke67
Founding Member

I think the dual sport theme going on is a great idea. My first bike back after a 15 yr absense was a F650GS Dakar (34.1 seat height I believe). I'm 5' 11" 170lbs. 50 hp was enough to get me going again. I sold it after about 2 1/2 yrs for a sport tourer. A used Dakar could be your ticket but will be on the pricey side. I sold my low miles '02 w/abs for $6400 on ebay.

However, a bike I have not heard mentioned yet is the Suzuki DRZ650. This bikes makes an excellent commuter, allows for some light off-road fun it you don't get technical with it, and soaks up everyday road imperfections without blinking an eye. You kind find good used ones without to much effort. Keep an eye on ebay and cycletrader.com (see and ride before you buy!!!). Quality condition 2002-2003's are going for $3500 to $4000

Sean mentioned the DRZ400S which I own and love. However, if you're going to be doing any significant commuting- especially on the freeway or interstate- I'd strongly recommend the bigger 650 for the engine size and infinitely greater comfort. The DRZ400S seat will quickly wedge up your arse crack and you'll have to shake it out when you get to your final destination. I've ridden mine for 40, 50, and 90 miles streches but I would not want to do it on any type of regular basis.

Best thing to do is go to the dealerships and sit on all these bikes recommended and see what feels good to you. Anything weighing 450 lbs or less and making 50 to 60 bhp will be fine for starting out.

The international motorcycle show is coming around soon and you can see and sit on nearly ever modern manufactures bike offered on the market today.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:39 AM   #24
PrairieDog
Registered Member

Christoph,

Tall is good - it allows you to ride some bikes that those vertically challenged can not. I too am 6' 4" and find some bikes offer a lot more comfort to us tall ones.

One of my bikes is a Kawasaki ZRX1200. Good standard style bike. It keeps your feet under you so you don't take a shot to your lumbar region every time you encounter a bump. No bent over riding position, unless you want to and then there is plenty of room to do so. I changed the stock footpegs out for some made by Competition Werkes - gained about 3/4 inch of leg room. Made a world of difference.

Another choice of bike would be one of the myriad of selections in the "Adventure / Enduro / Touring / Sport" category. There are a lot of good bikes here that will do everything well. Lots of leg room, fun to ride and very comfortable for long legged folks. I also own a KLR650 that is a ball to ride. You won't break any land speed records on it, but it will run forever and keep you quite comfortable.

I have ridden a Honda ST1300. Good leg room for us tall folks.

Hope this helps.

Marty
PrairieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 12:19 PM   #25
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Yep, The DL650 is a fantastic first bike, but most certainly NOT for beginners in the dirt. If you want the 650 VStrom, go for it, I strongly recomend it to tall newbies. Just don't try to ride it in the dirt. -Sean
Old 10-08-2004, 12:22 PM   #26
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Get the Urban Assault Tourer...

AKA the VSTrom 650. A GREAT first/last/only bike. AS long as its a "road", its happy.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 12:22 PM   #27
fullgarage
Registered Member

i am 6'5" and ride a vfr800. the bike fits me well and is a great all-around bike. it's entertainingly fast, and offers great comfort without forcing you into a racer crouch. i do everything from track days to long tours, with lots of commuting thrown in, and the bike is perfectly happy with all. it has its limits on the track, but its limits are higher than most riders.
fullgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 12:23 PM   #28
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

However, as a first bike, a 950 Adventure would be a terrible choice. BIG $$ if/when you have that dirt tip-over. Stick to cheap, lightweight single cylinder DP bikes if you don't have much money and want to improve your street AND dirt skills. -Sean
Old 10-08-2004, 04:30 PM   #29
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

It's now called the "Vulcan 800" and it will be in there

-Sean
Old 10-08-2004, 05:19 PM   #30
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Middle Class comparo

Not to pry... but any chance the M50 will make that comparo?