Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-08-2004, 08:55 AM   #11
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Re: New rider, pretty tall, a little MO experience, what bike?

VStrom 650

- great bike for your height and relative inexperience, while still lots of power for when your skills grow into the bike.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2004, 09:18 AM   #12
Steve781
Founding Member

Default 2nd the No 1200

I'm 6'4" and all leg, so I feel your pain, especially when cramped up on my buddies SV650S. My first bike was a bandit 600. Very comfy for me, inexpensive, mostly reliable with extensive aftermarket and owners group backup. DO NOT GET THE 1200!!! 1200 owners joke about never needing to replace the front tire, because it is never on the ground. 1200's will power wheelie pretty much at will. Sound like a beginners bike to you?

I still have my bandit. With significant time and a bit of money I turned it into a not too embarassing track bike.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 09:33 AM   #13
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Another thought comes to my pea sized brain.

Are you sure about the cruiser style. I find the extra low seat height on cruisers to be a hindrance, with my long legs. Every time I stop, I don't feel like the strength of my leg is supporting me; or if I need to muscle the bike around I wind up standing half the time, to make it easier to control the bike.

Not all cruisers, but most feel like the seat heights in the sub 28" or lower area.

Just a thought.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 09:41 AM   #14
richardnixon
Registered Member

I agree with Nplateau. A bike like the Suzuki V-strom DL 650 is an excellent choice. A similar option would be the Ducati Multistrada 620. The roomiest most practical coice is going to be a standard style motorcycle with a taller longer travel suspension. Most of the bikes in this category are biased toward street riding like the V-Strom or Multistrada.

At your height the cruiser and sport bike styles are probably best avoided. I am 6'0" and find most sport bikes to be pretty cramped for extended journeys.
richardnixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 09:45 AM   #15
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

I am a little under 6'3" and have really long arms and legs. But I have actually had very little trouble riding even really tiny bikes (I loved the Honda 599 MO tested last spring) and I spend a lot of time on both a FZR400 and a CBR954RR - both bikes most would consider cramped. I think that what actually happens is that you adapt yourself to whatever you ride.

Having said that I think that a particluarly excellent bike for you would be a Honda XR650L. I happen to own a 600R and it is an amazing machine that is way comfy for long pounding rides.

The V-Strom 650 is a cool bike that would suit you ergonimically but might be a bit much to start on and similarly a TDM850 is one of the greatest bikes in the world for tall people if you can get your hands on one.

Best of luck

sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 09:54 AM   #16
rxmelaun
Registered Member

(what exactly does MSF stand for anyway?)

It's Motorcycle Safety Foundation - their website is at http://www.msf-usa.org/

Rich

And a Suzuki V-Strom is a good choice; also a used BMW GS would be a great bike.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:14 AM   #17
Joseph_Betor
Founding Member

I'd agree with this, except it sounds like this guy is a little strapped for cash and there are few used DL650 out there. He'd be better off with the KLR as recommended above for two reasons. First way cheaper than a DL. Second, about 80 pounds lighter. Between his height and his bicycle experience, he'd feel right at home on the KLR.
Joseph_Betor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 10:19 AM   #18
Winger4Life
Founding Member

get a Gold Wing
Winger4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 10:34 AM   #19
maladg
Registered Member

I agree with the majority here...think Standards and the V-Strom 650...aka the "Strominator".

Start saving NOW! Son, there is a BMW in your long legged future. You "Lurch" types are tailor made for the BMW GS series. No need for the shorty seat.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 10:36 AM   #20
maladg
Registered Member

Beta is too cool. I still have - an occasionally use - my Sony Beta. I used to want a Betacam...but time marches on!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote