Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-04-2004, 06:43 AM   #21
Chango
Founding Member

Default Re: Bikes for short people?

Have you considered a pocketbike? They have a nice 20 inch or so seat height, and weigh much less than your target of 400 pounds. On the other hand, you'll look like a complete idiot riding the thing, so I guess it depends on how badly you want that lower seat...

Chango

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2004, 06:46 AM   #22
sarnali
Founding Member

It looks like vertically challenged riders have a pretty good range of options presented here, my choices would be Honda 599, Ducati monster, Triumph Bonneville, or the BMW R1150R or Rockster.

The BMW's are nice because the distance between the peg and seat is pretty compact, especialy with the low seat option, plus the Rockster's got that Krazy Kraut Kafe`look that you don't get with anything else. The Buell city bike looks neat too

I'd be looking for a compact bar/peg/seat relationship more than a low seat height myself. All you need is one foot down at a stop, where as the riding position is what you'll deal with 99.9% of the time.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 08:07 AM   #23
James_Brown
Registered Member

Default Re: Bikes for short people? - Duc maintenance

Why does everybody think that Ducs are so maintenance intensive? I have 12,000 miles on my Monster. At the 6,000 mile mark I had a fork seal replaced and shortly after the 12,000 mile service I had to get a new fuel filter. Total cost of parts < $50. The only other maintenance expensives have been a new set of Dunlops at about 8,000 miles (the front probably had another 1,500 miles) and the cost of oil and filters.

Now the dealer services can be a bit pricey (mycost averaged about $425) but if you don't commute (I walk to work) and ride ~4,000 miles/year like I do, that's under $300/year.

If you ride more than 4,000 miles per year, it can add up, but for the average rider (~3,500 miles/year according to Cycle World) that's not such a big deal. It can be considerably less if you are willing to learn how to check/adjust the valves.
James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 08:14 AM   #24
GDSIII
Founding Member

Take a look at the Buell XB9SL Lightning. My girl friend is 5'3" tall and 100 lbs and this bike fits here perfectly. With a seat height of only 28.6" this 984cc bike is a lot of fun.
GDSIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 08:20 AM   #25
ender
Registered Member

Default Getting feet down is highly overrated...

My first, and only bike is 1989 K75C with factory low seat. Seat seat height is stated as 30.5", but the seat is fairly broad the bike is also well north of 500 punds. I am 5'4 150 pounds. I can get my left foot flat on the ground while my right foot is on the brake, only only the very ends of my toes if I try to use both feet. On particularly slanted surface I have to move on the seat a bit but no big deal. It was irritating at first, and the bike spent a good deal more time laying on the ground than I would have liked, but it has enforced a great deal of discipline in slow speed control. I did learn that backing into parking spaces was pretty risky if there was any up slope.

I get a real kick out of the cruiser dudes letting their feet skim the ground going through intersctions as if their feet could actually help...Buy the bike you liike and don't sweat the seat height within reason (I will never be able to ride a BMW GS bike. I can't even get them off the side stand.

ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 08:26 AM   #26
caderider
Registered Member

Pocketbikes: The worst things to ever appear on the street. Of course, they shouldn't BE on the street in the first place.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:57 AM   #27
oldtim
Founding Member

I have a 29" inseam. I have a 2000 Bandit 1200 and I got a Corbin seat and a Holeshot lowering link. I am not flatfooted at stops but almost.
oldtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 08:59 AM   #28
mile_eater
Founding Member

Dreeeeeam. Dream Dream Dream..
Old 10-04-2004, 09:00 AM   #29
mile_eater
Founding Member

Agreed. When I think of the inventor of those loathsome devices I'm reminded of the long forgot benefits of Drawing and Quartering.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:03 AM   #30
kowalke67
Founding Member

Default Re: Bikes for short people? - Duc maintenance

I think there are multiple reasons that make people say Duc's are high cost in the maintenance and repair departments.

1. Valve adjustments every 5000 miles at $300 to $600 depending on the model and number of valves.

True. This part is expensive.

2. Ducati's are poor quality and breakdown often.

Not true. This may have been true of older Ducati's but certainly not of modern day Duc's. I know many Duc riders and their repair costs can only be described as normal.

3. Dealer costs to service the bikes is high.

Not true. My 600 mile service on my ST3 was $6 more than the first service on my Suzuki DRZ400S and cheaper than my former BMW. For basic maintenance the service costs are normal. The valve adjustment of course throws that off. However, some Ducati dealers offer a two year service contract you can purchase which, when averaged out, can take a significant amount of the cost out of maintenance. It includes all standard maintenance which covers Ducati recommended fluid changes, valve adjustments, etc.

4. People just like to criticize and repeat others critisim without having any real experience with what they are talking about.

Unfortunately, true.