Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Bikes for short people? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2535)

Vlad 10-04-2004 05:41 AM

Re: Bikes for short people?

As someone who is also vertically challenged, I understand the problem. For light weight and a low seat, the Ducati monster series can't be beat. (Sorry about the accidental rhyme.) Also the SV650 with the lower seat is a very good choice. For a third option, try the MotoGuzzi Breva. They have a low seat option as well. You may also want to look at the Triumph Bonneville series. I haven't ridden the Triumph, but when I sat on one at the dealership, I felt like this was a real possibility.

Francis

nbyers 10-04-2004 06:10 AM

The best thing is, that the bikes suggested in these posts aren't just bikes with low seats. They're also great bikes!

Honda 599? Buell CityX? Ducati Monster? (well, OK, only if your Ducati dealer is close by) These bikes are serious fun.

I've ridden the F650 and it's not necessarily for short people. The R1150R comes with a factory low seat option, though, and it's a terrific bike.

However, sport-touring bikes for short people are in, well, short supply. An R1150R with luggage and a clear screen would work pretty well as an S-T mount but it's maybe 550 pounds wet.

seruzawa 10-04-2004 06:16 AM

How about the Suzuki GS500F? Seat height is 31" uncompressed. It's got a huge aftermarket as well. The engine's been around forever and is reliable as can be.

(Dang, I love be be able to recommend the GS500).

ChicagoCruiser 10-04-2004 06:21 AM

Don't mess with the machinery....

Hey gang, medicine is doing wonderful things these days in the arena of limb lengthening. If you're "vertically challenged" and can't get your dogs down on terra firma while straddling the diminutive likes of a Honda Rebel while wearing 3 inch elevator shoes, you might want to wander into your local orthopedic surgeon and ask to have your femur combo tib-fib supersized. I hear that some folks can get this done down in mexico for less than a grand. Lets not mess with the race-tested science and engineering of what those brilliant folks over at Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha have developed over the years. Scooped seats - ha. Lowered suspensions - blah. That hardware works man. As the musician Randy Newman has sung: "Short people got no reason....."

SRMark 10-04-2004 06:38 AM

Re: Don't mess with the machinery....

I was thinking of having that done to my neck to ***** off people at the movies.

tomk2 10-04-2004 07:11 AM

My wish list for a local commuter/fun bike...

seat height maybe 28 - 30 inches

upright standard ergonomics for my aged ass, beat up knees and gimpy shoulders

400 lbs or less

at least 60-80 hp to the rear wheel

good adjustable suspension

$8K or less

So far I'm looking at Ducati Monsters, Buell CityX, Honda 599...

maybe the SV650 with suspension upgrades?

The MotoGuzzi Breva? seems a little lacking as far as power and suspension.

Am I overlooking anyone?

PeterH 10-04-2004 07:29 AM

I rode a f650 GS on Saturday as a service loaner. If I had wanted to I could have put my knees on the ground. The dealer said that the lower seat was standard on their GS model. The Dakar was a different thing altogether. I had owned a 1999 F650 for many years but it seemed much taller. The bikes are fun, great all around bikes. ( And before everyone gets snotty my current bikes include a 2004 R1, 2005 KTM 990 as well as my K1200lt) and recently included Duc Multistrada and 999) and my main wheels are found on an Aprilia Scarabeo 500 scoot).

bagha 10-04-2004 07:37 AM

This may be useful too you:

The Short Bike List FAQ

http://www.nebcom.com/noemi/moto/sbl.faq.html

mike_lashmore 10-04-2004 07:39 AM

How about the Kawasaki Super Sherpa? It's a great beginner bike, and fun on the trails, only weighs 250lbs.

tneagle 10-04-2004 07:41 AM

I lowered a 2003 sv650 4" for my 5' 1", 100 lb. wife. She absolutely loves it. 3" came from changing the dog bone links and 1" out of the seat, (corbin). Total out of pocket cost: About $300. She also had a Volusia 800 that I lowered 2" with new dog bones.