Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 09-29-2004, 07:05 PM   #21
Dave305
Founding Member

Default Re: MOron Sport Tire opinions wanted

I'm always amazed at the mileage some people get out of their tires. 6K-9K on Bridgestones? The stock 020s on my FZ1 were badly worn at 3,100 and seriously toast at 3,500. Pirelli Dragon GTS lasted 5,100, but felt lousy the last 1,500 or so because the front had become too triangular.

Granted, I do almost all mountain road riding...still, the most I've ever gotten (on a modern bike with modern st tires) was 7K with Michelin Macadam 100s on a Katana 600. Dunlop 205s lasted 6K on the Katana. The bike now wears Michelin Pilot Roads. I like the tire, but they are showing more wear than I expected at 3K.

My BMW R1150RS got 4,800 out of the front Michelin Macadam 90X. The rear may make 6K.

Tires I haven't tried yet, but hear great things about are the Avons (45 & 46) and the Metzler Z6 for excellent high mileage and excellent grip. Both sport touring tires. For sport tires, people sure seem to love the Pirelli Diablos. I was tempted to get a pair put on the FZ1, but I got a great deal on Dunlop 220s. I like the 220, but everyone I know that has tried them got lousy mileage. The Conti Road Attacks are also a tire I'd like to try. I have no experience with them.
Dave305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2004, 08:57 AM   #22
P-Ratt
Premium Member

Default Re: Commuter Sportbike Tires

I had a 46ST last 14,500 miles (in 7 months) doing ST duties. Everything from commuting, sport riding, and playing around to a 4,000 mile trip. It stuck pretty well until about 10k. Slides were predictable and wet weather was just water on the road (no trouble.) It had plenty of tread left when I tossed it, but the tire just turned hard. The profile was great. It just rolled over and cornered. No thoughts, no worries. It just plain worked.
FZ1
P-Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 12:04 PM   #23
xena0928
Founding Member

Aaron Stevenson and staff at "Cornerspeed" recommended Pirella Diablo Corsa's for this application at a recent track course. mg.
xena0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 04:01 PM   #24
cbrsprint
Founding Member

First off, I try to be smooth (carry momentum and reduce the hard brake/hard acceleration). I ride fast but my tires last longer than everybody elses running the same pace. Dunlop 208s are good but wear the quickest (1700 miles). Sportec M1/Perilli Diablos are nice but wear surprisingly quick for street tires (2600 miles). Michelin H2s stuck very well and last long but didn't feel good towards the end (4200 miles). I LOVED the street compound Rensports but they discontinued them (bummer). They lasted me 4300 miles and felt good all the way to the end. My new favorite is the Pirelli Diablo Corsa. These stick really well, last me over 5,000 miles and feel amazing all the way to the end. I haven't tried the Pilot Road. My friends like the rear but prefer something stickier on the front. My 2 cents.
cbrsprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 05:46 PM   #25
v2-90
Founding Member

I have to agree with the NON-recommendation on the MEZ4s. I had MEZ4s on my Ducati ST2 and Suzuki SV650 (came stock on both). On BOTH bikes, the front would slip A LOT - I thought maybe it was just the ST2 at first and then when I got the SV and it did it too, I decided it was the tire. I've never purchased a MEZ4 since and I would not recommend them to anyone, no matter what they ride - too damn dangerous...