Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 09-29-2004, 05:22 AM   #11
RonXX
Founding Member

Default Re: MOron Sport Tire opinions wanted

Bridgestone BT020 in the rear, BT014 in the front. That should give you about 6000 miles. I do the same riding on an FZ1.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-29-2004, 05:23 AM   #12
obandoj
Founding Member

CHENG-SHIN
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 05:39 AM   #13
donzi
Founding Member

I love my Pirelli Diablos. They heat up fast and stick like glue. After 1000 miles they still look great but I can't say anymore than that about wear. They even work in the dirt.

I ride a KTM 625 SMC supermoto.
donzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 06:16 AM   #14
kowalke67
Founding Member

Default Re: Cycletires.com dude.

Do they come with one of those pink tops?
Old 09-29-2004, 06:22 AM   #15
Labrat
Founding Member

Try Bridgestone BT010's. I had them on an F3 and have them on my zx9 now, I got around 9000 miles on my last set and probably would have gotten more, but had to replace them because I flat spotted the rear. And they are sticky enough for the track.
Labrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 07:31 AM   #16
sarnali
Founding Member

Your riding sounds pretty similar to mine ie; more freeway comuting than anything else except I probably run into alot more rain and wet roads than you .

Right now my tire of choice is the Avon AV45 front and AV46 rear, the front is still new, but the rear has around 5k and no appreciable wear. They stick well dry, in the wet they will break loose but in a controlable fashion, not all at once. I'm expecting around 10~15k out of them.

The last set I had was Dunlop D220's that stuck well wet but only lasted 5k miles, as I can't afford tires with every oil change I'd stay away from them. If you can find D205's they're better tires for milage, but the fronts cup badly.

Another tire I had good luck with and exceptional milage from was a Michelin Macadam 100X, they've been supercede by the Pilot Roads but they're excellent wet weather tires and lasted 17k on my Bandit. They actually stuck well enough the grind the pegs on wet roads once or twice and with the Bandits torque they set up some *****in' wet road powerslides. Ton's of fun. In fact the only reason I went with the Avons this time around instead of Michelin is because I though it would be cool to have Brit. tires on a Brit. bike.

I've had two sets of Bridgestones BT54's that came stock on bikes and I think they're little better than rim protectors, in dry climates they might work but her in the North Wet they're not much use. I know people who swear by BT010's and 020's so they may be better.

For a good combination of traction and milage I'd get either the Avons or Michelins, price wise they're pretty close and both should get good milage and still stick well on the street. Avons are a little hard to find, but Cycle Gear can order them and you can get them from Motorcycle USA Superstore and put them on yoursef.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 09:53 AM   #17
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Pirelli Diablos.

Like was said above "I love my Pirelli Diablos."

You can't beatem. They heat up really fast and my back tire lasted about 2,500 miles longer then the stock Dunlop, the front I'm still trying to wear out. I'm running them on a XB12S Buell with race kit.

Try out a set.

gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:03 PM   #18
atk74seattle
Registered Member

Default Re: Commuter Sportbike Tires

I've got 5500 miles on a set of AV ST45/46 and they're about half done. 50/50 commute and sport-touring in terms of mileage ridden. Not bad for a 90hp, 20yo Sabre that's 600lbs dry with no front tire cupping either.
atk74seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:04 PM   #19
nokneedragin
Founding Member

I kind of agree with the 2 sets of tire guys.

Every time I've put a decent mileage tire on a sport bike, the grip goes way down, and if I use the sticky tires, and commute to much I square off the tire.

Sorry, sounds like thats the best way to go.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:36 PM   #20
cyclesteve
Registered Member

Default Re: Avon AV 45/46

I roasted a set of Avon AV 45/46 in 4200 miles on my VFR 800. I had expected more of them. They had decent grip, but I never felt fully trusting in them. On wet roads I was even less trusting of them.

I have recently put on a set of Continental Conti Road attacks on the VFR and am very impressed with the grip and the turn in. I would highly recommend them. I can't yet vouch for mileage or grip in the wet, but they have a way cheaper list than comparable tires. It seems Continental is pricing aggressively to try and enter the US market. These are described as a sporty sport touring tire.

After baking a set of Dunlop D207's in 1,650 miles on my Buell Lightning. I put a set of Pirelli Diablos on 1,000 miles ago. They are terrific tires. Good feel, fast turn in and confidence inspiring. Still lots of tread left.

For only 20% twisties I would say get the Continental Conti Road attack sport touring rubber and save about $100.
cyclesteve is offline   Reply With Quote