Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 07-01-2004, 08:39 AM   #21
mbsween
Registered Member

Default Re: Computer Bag Help

Sez who? I've worked for both consulting shops and (computer) manufacturers. Get an aerostitch and just about any old computer backpack and it will all be fine.

Leave the damn car home!
mbsween is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2004, 08:52 AM   #22
NathanM
Founding Member

I can state unequivocally, as a professional computer geek for the last 12 years, that a magnetic tank bag poses no significant risk for your laptop.

The LCD monitor of a laptop is magnetcally insensitive - so no problems there. The hard drive, while being a magnetic device, is actually quite resilient to your average magnetic field. It requires a very strong magnetic field to damage the data on a hard drive - tank magnets are strong but not that strong. Magnetic field strentgh drops off as the inverse cube of the distance from the magnet (for those who don't speak Geek, that means that the power of the magnetic field drops very rapidly as you get farther from the magnet) so as long as you aren't placing the tank bag magnets directly onto the hard drive they pose no risk. In your average laptop the closest the the tank magnets could get to the drive is a 1/4 inch or so...plenty far enough away to pose no threat. By the time you throw a bit of foam padding in there to isolate potholes and vibration, which are a real threat, your laptop won't even know the magnets are there.

It should be noted that this does not hold true for 3.5" Floppy disks... they are far more susceptible to magnetic damage and tank magnets are more than sufficient to do the job - even with a 1/2 inch of foam in the way.

Hope this helps you!

NathanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 09:48 AM   #23
SRMark
Founding Member

Calm down guys. I'm one of the ardent particpants in the annual take-your-car-to-work day.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 02:33 PM   #24
rpt
Registered Member

I bought a few years ago a Spire Back Pack and it has already 125000 km and is still without a dent, either inside top-case (46 ltr) or on back.

Expensive but worth the money.
rpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 01:44 PM   #25
F451
Founding Member

Default Dear John

I received this lovely e-mail from the author of this MO News Topic:

<blockquote>A reader at Motorcycle.Com, JOHN HALL, sends the following feedback:

name = JOHN HALL

From = kajunrph@aol.com

state = TEXAS

country = US

body = I sorry that I use a computer in my daily duties. I own a GD Business and need to take my computer to and from work. What a intollerant f***. It is a wonder you even have a computer if you think no one should have a laptop. The only laptop you had was toppless.</blockquote>

John, maybe you should rethink your using a computer as you certainly have not learned how to use the basic features such as spell checking. Oh, and I own several laptops, my favorite being my Apple 17" PowerBook G4; also I'm on the list for a new G5 liquid-cooled 2.5GHz tower, soon to be released. Hey, that scooter is looking better and better for you each day. I sorry too John...for you.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 04:47 PM   #26
SezaGeoff
Registered Member

I just use the standard issue computer bag and sling it over my shoulder. My mass absorbs the worst of the vibes and bumps, and it only becomes a problem if it slips sideways. You also know it is still there, rather than sitting on the highway behind you. Don't forget to check the strap regularly though, and make sure it is reasonably waterproof. My bag is a Targus, by the way and the laptop a Dell 640, and I can fit enough doco and accessories to make resting the bag on the seat when I sit back a worthwhile break.
SezaGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 02:22 PM   #27
kajunrph
Founding Member

Deer Rats.

I'm glad you own many computers. I own a retail outlet with $1.7 million in sales for 2003, while I might not have the best spelling in the world (and I use spell check every time I can, I don't see on on the message board, may be your smart a** can find it on this page) I am far more sucessful than the average human. All I asked was a simple question, if you didn't want to help keep your mouth shut. You spoke first I responded. I guess everyone else who responded with advice is a fool also for wanting to ride and carry a laptop. Keep the scooter for yourself with all you laptops. I'll stick to my Bandito 1200S.
kajunrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 02:23 PM   #28
kajunrph
Founding Member

2001 Bandit 1200S
Old 07-07-2004, 09:40 PM   #29
F451
Founding Member

Default Hire a Chauffeur

Your info states:

Now, who on earth would want to have you prescribe jacksh#t when you can't spell?
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 09:59 AM   #30
kajunrph
Founding Member

Default Re: Hire a Chauffeur

Pharmacist dispense we do not prescribe, dip sh*t. If you want to match brains with me you WILL LOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, what do you do for a living? Trash Man? Ditch Digger, Dem Pres Canidiate.