Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-08-2004, 02:43 PM   #1
naco_traficante
Registered Member

Default Re: Big Rider, New Bike....

Kawasaki ZZR1200. Big, does-it-all bike from what I've heard.

naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2004, 02:44 PM   #2
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Suzuki V-Strom 650. Check out MO's recent middleweight comparo. You will not like the big CBR for 99% of what you want to do (see our open class shootout for info on the CBR1K. If you must have a literbike I highly recommend, after having ridden all of them, the Triumph 955i. You will smile for a long time.
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 02:56 PM   #3
CBR1100LAXX
Founding Member

You could check out the CBR1100XX. It's on the bigger side of the sportbike spectrum size-wise, easy to ride with smooth, predictable power, and used ones can be had for cheap. Oh yeah, it's really, really friggin' fast too!
CBR1100LAXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 03:09 PM   #4
red-silver
Registered Member

One sad truth about pro motorcyle racers, is that in general, they are not large men. On one end you've got the Capriossi or Jimmy Felice size (120 lbs in helmet & wet leathers),

at the other end you've Reuben Xaus, maybe 5'11", and 160 lbs.

The problem is this: the manufacturers build all these repli-racers in dimensions, that fit pro-racers.

With this in mind, I would probably look first at the bikes that fit me best. That would probably rule out most of the current crop of 600 sportbikes. It may even mean looking at some of the sport touring bikes like Aprilia's Futura.

The Ducati 999 has adjustable seat and peg locations.

I'm 5'11" and 185, with a 33 inch inseam, I don't bend like I did 30 years ago (age 24), and I don't like the fit of this current crop of mini-sized super bikes.

I would even look at bikes like the Guzzi V11's or BMW R1100s, just to be comfortable even though I know there will be a performance penalty. Maybe a Suzuki 'Busa?
red-silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 03:31 PM   #5
nbyers
Registered Member

Default Big Rider, New Bike....

6'-5", 230 lbs, eh? Mostly, it's great to be tall, but there's no added value in being a big guy when you're looking for a bike that fits.

Here's my votes.

-Yamaha FZ1. Great all around bike, goes like stink, handles very well for real-world use. Heck, it handles pretty well at the track; BIKE magazine ran it around Bruntingthorpe (there's a Brit name for ya) track as fast as the sport 600's. Relatively tall seat, and seat-to-peg dimensions. Good two-up. Given its versatility and performance, it's an INCREDIBLE bargain. You can buy a brand new one here in Seattle for $7900.

-Honda CB1. They haven't made it for ten years, but this was a good bike for a tall guy. It's a naked, though, and I think the FZ1 is more versatile because it comes with a half-fairing.

-BMW R1200GS. Ok, ok, I know it's not a sport bike. But it is a terrific tool; good handling, rediculously durable, great dealer support, and best of all a nice tall seat, generous seat-to-peg, and a screen. It has very cool expandable hard luggage (I checked this out a couple of weeks ago and man, it's the dog's. The luggage lids telescope in and out). It is kind of a grown-up bike (only you know how that makes you feel). Good choice if you have excess cash and need something useful to spend it on, because a 1200GS is going to go 15 large.

An earlier poster suggested the ZRX1200. I think that its ergos are too small for you. They fit me pretty nice, and I'm Loris Capirossa sized; you're gonna hate it.

Whatever you buy, you should have the suspension retuned (it's no big deal) for your weight. Stiffer fork springs, maybe revalve the rear shock. Any good shop can do this for you.
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 03:33 PM   #6
nbyers
Registered Member

Default Retraction

Ok, if the previous poster has it right I'm actually closer to Rueben Xaus. In physical size, not skill, of course...

But I bet I don't crash as much.
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 04:26 PM   #7
red-silver
Registered Member

Default racer size

I think if you made a composite of all top racers you would probably get something like this: 5' 6", 140 ~ 150 lbs., and muscle tone and conditioning signifigantly better than 30 years ago. (kinda your jockey, gymnast, rodeo rider size- sinewy,tough,light).

Back in the 50's when the motocross guys rode Goldstars, AJS, & Matchless & other big singles, they were a lot bigger. In my lifetime the dirttrack and roadracers have always been small.
red-silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 05:00 PM   #8
Joseph_Betor
Founding Member

Superhawk. It'll fit you well and have plenty of torque, not to mention costing far less than a new CBR1000RR.
Joseph_Betor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 05:10 PM   #9
Archangel_1976
Founding Member

Default *READING*

You guys have had better input than some of the postings I've put in other sites like SportRider and Cycle World. Just want you guys who have contributed thoughts to know.... I am listening. Thanks........ =)
Archangel_1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 05:23 PM   #10
Steve781
Founding Member

Default 6'4" 195 lbs

I'm just an inch and a few pounds behind you. Bikes I've found that I fit on tend towards the sports-standard side. My current rides are an '01 VFR and a suzuki bandit. Both are quite comfy for long rides and both have been to the track. Of course the VFR did better on the track than the Bandit, but my bandit is far from stock and holds its own in the local "B" group. You can't start a thread like this without hearing about the SV650 and the Connie. Of the two only the SV belongs on the track, and I don't fit on an SV. I've ridden my friend's SV650S and was very cramped. Now someone can pipe in and tell us the have had their connie on a track. After that the XX is a great recommendation. I almost wish I'd bought one instead of the VFR. Then I see how much people pay for insurance and tires and give my VFR an affectionate pat on the fairing.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote