Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-09-2004, 04:58 AM   #31
pkbrown
Registered Member

Default Re: Big Rider, New Bike....

Since no one else has brought it up ...

The Yamaha YZF-600R is a great all around bike that wouldn't be out of place at a track day. It's my favorite of the still newly available middleweight bikes because it has better wind protection and more relaxed ergos than the latest RR's or R-6's. Its engine has good midrange grunt so it doesn't have to be wound up as much as the current 600's.

I also like the FZ-1 idea.
pkbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2004, 05:07 AM   #32
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: Great personality, nice family....

That's great, for you, but this fella came from a Goldwing -- I can't imagine that anything else is going to appear anything other than beautiful.

The V-Strom looks much better from the rear which is the view that most people will have of it anyway when ridden by a competent rider. We didn't even bother to take off the dual-sport tires (already fragged by Sean during the intro) and it was still one of the funnest bikes to ride in the twisties. That's all the rush I need.
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 05:21 AM   #33
ewok1
Founding Member

Default The speed triple

I think it's a cool bike. Definitely good looking imo. I owned one for a summer. I agree it might be right for this person, but it has some serious shortcomings.

even with a wind screen it isn't a distance bike at all. of the trumpets i have owned it is surprisingly slow turning in.

finally it's typical of the genre. its good at everything but brilliant at nothing.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 05:22 AM   #34
SuzukiStucki
Founding Member

You are very wise to recognize the benefits of instruction and track days on a sportbike--the best money and time I have ever spent. I went through a similar thought and selection process the last three years. I started with a Suzuki Bandit 1200S for its combination of moderate sport character and comfortable ergos for my 6'3" 250lb 40 year old body. After taking my Bandit to a Jason Pridmore STAR School and almost grinding the pegs off of it (two of the funnest days of my life!), I decided I needed to upgrade to a full-on sportbike (the Gixxer 1000). The earlier comments about the Triumph Speed Triple and Kawi ZRX1200 are right on the money; due to the kindness of others, I have ridden both of those bikes bikes in the canyons and at track days since purchasing my Gixxer are they are very competent sportbikes with great long ride ergonomics. If I had started with either of those bikes, I may not have needed to upgrade. However, if you (A) are going to get serious about taking some classes and doing track days AND (B) really want one of the new repli-racers, go ahead and get one. With the right instruction, some common sense, and judicious throttle control, you do not need to start on something tamer. I know several other big guys like me who do fine on the full-on sportbikes, and I think its nice to have the extra horsepower to haul my big butt quickly between corners. You are already spotting most of the guys out there at the track day a good 75 lbs, so the extra horseposer can come in handy. In some ways, the big liter bikes are easier for a new guy to ride at the track because gear selection isn't as critical with the big fat powerband; you can concentrate on your lines and cornering skills first, and then move on to late braking and shifting to pick up the pace. I ride my Gixxer to work and on all day trips, and the ergos do not bother me at all because I am now used to the riding position. If your thoughts keep drifting toward the new CBR1000RR; just get it, get some good instruction, and enjoy!
SuzukiStucki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 05:25 AM   #35
ewok1
Founding Member

Default KTM Adventure 950

Is made for big guys. I am 6'1'' 190 and i think i am about as small as you can be and just get on the bike. but once on its a hoot. the seat is just about criminal but you get used to it and the performance is not matched even by the new 1200 gs. i agree that the dl650 is cool too. if i didn't want to cough up the dough for a ninefiddy, and i had to do with one bike, the v-strom 650 would be it.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 06:46 AM   #36
djburges
Registered Member

CBR1100XX - Super Blackbird has tons of power, not quite as radical ergonomically for a taller person, graphically understated, and can be loaded up with luggage like your old Wing...

Dave.
djburges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 07:35 AM   #37
triumph900
Founding Member

Triumph Tiger. Tall seat, nice engine, very comfortable, fun to ride.
triumph900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 07:56 AM   #38
nbyers
Registered Member

Default Re: Great personality, nice family....

"That's great, for you, but this fella came from a Goldwing -- I can't imagine that anything else is going to appear anything other than beautiful." --sportbike_pilot

OK, made me laugh. Good point.
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 07:58 AM   #39
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda 919

One issue on the DL1000 may be room for your feet, if they're big. My riding buddy, who's a big guy, tried my Strom and felt that there wasn't enough room for a his feet. He had trouble with the shifter. But he's used to cruisers, too. If you're used to dirt bikes, you should be OK. Check out vstrom.info for information on the V-Strom (both 1000 and 650) than you can stand. People have certainly done track days on 'em.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 08:13 AM   #40
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Default Re: KTM Adventure 950

The buddy of mine I mentioned above, who found my DL1000 V-Strom to be lacking in footroom, test rode a 950 Adventure and loved it.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote