Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-09-2004, 02:32 AM   #21
naco_traficante
Registered Member

Default Re: Big Rider, New Bike....

Not comfortable for distance, huh? Kawi bills this bike as a sport-tourer. Good info - guess I have to retract my earlier recommendation.

naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2004, 02:48 AM   #22
FloridaSteve
Founding Member

Default Three best suggestions yet...

I've actually ridden all these bikes and along with the FZ1 I don't think you'd go wrong with any of them. I'm 6'2 and... ahem... on the heavy side of 230 and will vouch for all these choices. I currently own a Speed Triple and love it. The SV would probably be the best track bike for the money. The Tuono (if money is no object) could be the best track bike period. A great all-rounder is the FZ1. Huge power and can be made to handle with al lot of sport bikes. You could literally rider it 2 up to the track and have at it all day and then ride it home. Not a lot of bikes you coud say that about. 2-cents...
Old 06-09-2004, 02:54 AM   #23
ScottM
Founding Member

I apologize for not being a little more clear in my description. I'm very comfortable on long distant rides. However, please keep in mind that I'm @ 6' and 200 lbs. The other person was 6'-5" and 230+ lbs. I myself probably would not be comfortable on that bike for long distances if I were 6'-5". Not being that big I can only speculate. Sorry for any confusion.
ScottM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 03:08 AM   #24
dnlwthrn
Founding Member

Default Re: *READING*

I believe our very own sportbike_pilot is very close in size as well...

I could be wrong, but that's what I seem to remember reading...
dnlwthrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 03:19 AM   #25
SRMark
Founding Member

Get the MO staff to do a shoot of you on the mini-hacks.

There have been a few votes so far for the Speed Triple. Yup! Go get ya one.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 03:37 AM   #26
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: *READING*

6' 3" and 205 lbs. And I have ridden most of the bikes mentioned in various posts here (a cbr1100xx extensively) and I'm sticking with my earlier recommendation. The 650 V-Strom is the best middleweight I have ever ridden and I feel very confident that I could have a blast on it for the occasional track day. I know that one can have a lot of fun dispatching hard-core sportbikes on one of these because we spent a day doing just that on the LA crest during our middleweight comparo. This is the closest thing to a TDM that you can get in the US these days and the TDM850 is reknown as one of the most versatile bikes ever (and it fit large people well).

The Blackbird is a wonderful in most ways but is well-known for a low seat and high pegs resulting in a cramped leg position for tall people. If you modify the rearsets to address this the pegs will drag everywhere. I loved my bird but spent many hours on the road with my feet dragging the ground instead of on the pegs. Even my 954RR is better in that regard.

The 919 is also very cool but much too cramped for a guy 6'5" The current VFR needs another development cycle and it's kinda cramped to boot (although it's easy to address this on the VFR)

The other big GT's mentioned here will all work OK ergonomically but generally handle like aircraft carriers. So if you want a big bore that brings me to the finest literbike I have ever ridden-- if you can live with performance that is a few hairs below the front runners -- the Triumph Daytona 955i. I wish I had one of these myself.

I also second Seruzawa's suggestion of a Speed Triple which would also work very well for this individual.
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:21 AM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Three best suggestions yet...

I'm also surprised how nice the SV1000S looks with the optional lower fairing.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:25 AM   #28
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: racer size

When I was a kid my uncle would take me to the scrambles down where the Artesia freeway is in LA now. There were lots of Brit 650s and HD XLCHs competing. No 5'6" rider's at all. Imagine wresting a 500lb 65hp Sportster around an MX track. (shudder).
Old 06-09-2004, 04:32 AM   #29
nbyers
Registered Member

Default Great personality, nice family....

"The 650 V-Strom is the best middleweight I have ever ridden" --sportbike_pilot

I believe you. But....

The V-Strom is homlier than a mud box. I want to be able to walk away from my bike after a good thrash (or even an uneventful ride to work), and then look back at it with a bit of moto lust.

In essence, the owner of a V-Strom has to be content with a good personality. For me, I don't want to just be friends, I gotta have the full on "From Here to Eternity" roll on the beach.
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:45 AM   #30
Winger4Life
Founding Member

Default Stick with the Wing

Get a new GL1800....it will like the track.
Winger4Life is offline   Reply With Quote