Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-08-2004, 05:24 PM   #11
ScottM
Founding Member

Default Re: Big Rider, New Bike....

I have an 03 ZZR 1200R and I don't think you'd be comfortable on it for any distance. Short trips and commutes, possibly. I'm about 6' and 200lbs and I'm looking to do some mods to help the ergos (heli bars and a flip windscreen) so I can take some pressure off of the wrists and and reduce some of the wind pounding. She doesn't do everything but what she does well she does very well. It handles great in long fast sweepers. Don't even think about the tight stuff unless you have plenty O' experience. Yes, she will run like greased stink as can be confirmed by the Ohio State Patrol. Handles adverse road conditions like construction zones very nicely She wouldn't be anywhere near my first choice for the track except for maybe Talledaga.
ScottM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2004, 05:27 PM   #12
Joseph_Betor
Founding Member

I have a 650 VStrom and it handles amazingly well with great leg room, but if he's looking for that sport bike rush, he won't find it on the 650. Now from what I hear, the 1000 has loads of power.
Joseph_Betor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 06:42 PM   #13
manalagi001
Registered Member

BMW would be a good choice, ergonomically. Their ergos are made for taller men. In the Japanese realm I second the advice to get a SuperHawk or CBR1100XX. Those bikes fit taller men relatively well. The more I think about it, the more I have to agree with much of the advice here. The Triumph 955i would be my first choice, too. Just try 'em on. For the most part, having a bike feel small is a good thing, as long as it's not too small.
manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 07:26 PM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Three words. Triumph Speed Triple. Check out the MO track test from last year. It has regular handlebars so you can replace 'em. It runs like a bat out of hell, will commute, run canyons, do wheelies, you name it.

If money is no object then, two words. Aprilia Tuono.

Or try a Suzuki SV1000S. Better ergos than the SV650S. Better for street work than the Super Hawk. You can upgrade the suspension for better track performance and it's relatively cheap.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:51 PM   #17
DiveR-1
Founding Member

Since nobody else has said it yet, you might be surprised at how much power 600's have these day's. You might even check out the gsx-r750 too. It's hard to find a bad bike these days, so when somebody asks me, I always tell them to go sit on and/or test ride several bikes and just find one that "feels right" to you. As far as liter bikes go I wouldn't recommend one as your first sportbike, but from what I have read, the cbr seems to be everyones pick as best "first" literbike. hope this helps-good luck.

DiveR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 01:29 AM   #18
IceWorm
Registered Member

Default Honda 919

You should consider a Honda 919. It offers more or less the same power as a modern 600 ( now considered a good entry level catagory) and yet is a little larger, read more suitable for your size. Personally I feel 600 sportbikes are a little too fast for entry level, but I am tired of swimming up stream on that issue.

I agree that the Suzuki DL1000 could work, not so much for track days, but a good bike for re-wetting your feet.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 01:31 AM   #19
Let_er_eat
Founding Member

I'm about that size - Hayabusa baby! Check out hayabusa.org for more info on dialing it in to your frame.....
Let_er_eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 03:03 AM   #20
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I'm about exactly your size, and the Kaw ZX-9 fits pretty well. I can go plenty of miles before the pain sets in, and it's smaller than a Busa or ZX-12 for track days. The newer 1000cc bikes are all a bit small for your size, if you plan on riding it for more than a few miles. I'm sure any standard would fit like a Speed Triple or ZRX. Scope out a ZX-9. I'm sure there are a few new ones out there still, and for good prices.