Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-05-2004, 07:06 AM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Helmets for extra long oval headed aliens?

Can't help you there. But let us know when you decide to have the fire sale on helmets only worn once.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2004, 08:14 AM   #2
Weezel
Registered Member

If you had a frontal lobotomy, they could also probably surgically flatten your forehead. That might be the cheapest way to go, since you could use all those new helmets sitting around your house then. Plus you probably wouldn't even notice that the helmet didn't fit.

I also have your problem shaped head and never really found a perfect fit helmet, but do OK with a Shoei RFR, which they unfortunately don't make anymore. The newer Shoei's don't fit as well but I bought 2 at the time so one is in the closet waiting to go.

Suggest you do what I did, which is go to every shop in town to try on helmets and when you find an acceptable (not perfect one), buy 2 or 3. One good thing is that they tend to conform at least a little to your head after a year or so of use, so if you find anything acceptable, it will get better with time.

Note: I still have a red spot on my forehead after riding all day that lasts for several hours. Just life.
Weezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 11:08 AM   #3
nitrofly
Founding Member

Shades and a kevlar bandana.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:09 PM   #4
F451
Founding Member

Try this site:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 03:43 PM   #5
axeye
Registered Member

I solved my problem by modifying the styrofoam lining. Put on the best fitting helmet you have and determine where the pressure point is. Take the helmet off and file, sand and cut away the styrofoam until you get clearance. A Dremel type tool makes this job really fast. Use sand paper on your final finish to smooth all the little beads down. The last and most important step is to buy a piece of medium cell foam rubber @ 1/2" thick and cut a piece to fit in the crown on top of the sponge already there. This lifts the helmet up off your forehead and spreads the weight over a larger area. Remember to go slow on removing the styro. Try the helmet on numerous times to check fit. When it feels almost right put in the foam rubber.
axeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 03:49 PM   #6
SRMark
Founding Member

Just wondering if you have tried many helmets of the same make. I ask because a Nolan N100 helmet fits me ok but with a hint of frontal pressure after about 200 miles. My HJC dirt dike helmet is all day comfortable and

I'm talkin' a 9 to 5 day. There would seem to be some variation in models across manufacturers' lines. Good luck and go slap your parents.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 03:50 PM   #7
SRMark
Founding Member

I really don't have a dirt dike. Sorry ladies! Make that a dirt bike.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 10:51 AM   #8
sarnali
Founding Member

You could just put machinist dye on your forehead to find the high spots then take a belt sander and buff down the high spots.

It'd save getting a labotomy
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 11:24 AM   #9
nomad76
Founding Member

Try a shoei RF-1000. I don't believe this whole oval-round head thing, because I've got a big, oval melon and the shoei is the most comfortable lid I've ever worn.
nomad76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 12:13 PM   #10
Mr_Duck
Founding Member

I've also a long oval head; though maybe not alien-long!

The Arai Signet GT/GTR for European/American markets is best - by far. If necessary custom fit the inner i.e. thumb press the inner polystyrene.

Mr_Duck is offline   Reply With Quote