Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 05-14-2004, 10:14 AM   #71
dragknt
Registered Member

Default Re: New Rider

Good advice. I started on a Kawi ZX-6, and it was way too heavy for a starter bike. The power was a little much for a beginner, but as long as you have self control, the power isn't too big of an issue. 2nd on the MSF class, too. It was the first thing I did, before even sitting on my own motorcycle, and I've never regretted it.
dragknt is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2004, 11:01 AM   #72
mile_eater
Founding Member

Ex500 is a great starter, and so is the ninja 250. I ride a litre bike, and I can still say that I would really enjoy tooling around on either one.

someone else recommended a GS500, that's hard to argue with. It's also a great bike.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:05 AM   #73
TDHorton
Founding Member

Default Re: From my experience

Just got off an EX-500 - my first bike - after about two years of riding. It is absolutely a great beginner's bike, particularly after taking the MSF course. The bikes in the MSF course have very heavy steering (by design) to teach riders about countersteer, etc. Get off the MSF bike and on the EX, and it's a revelation - took me a while to realize that I really was countersteering because the required bar pressure was so light.

In addition, the EX is a light, low, narrow bike, which should make it good for your size and weight.

So why did I get rid of it? It's not the best bike for longer rides, particularly for a person of my size and weight (5'10", 200 lbs.). This probably would be less of a problem for you.

TDHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 11:34 AM   #74
anrajala
Founding Member

Way to go! Yes yes yes. I was reading the half-arsed advice in previous posts with a growing desperation, but finally Jaycar came with the light.

Also: its not only more fun but you also look much cooler on a beaten up old dusty off roader than a lame-**** Be-last or 400-600cc twin Jap that just SHOUTS your complete lack of taste, manlihood and utter lack of anything that is admirable.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 01:51 AM   #75
Pacer
Founding Member

FZR400 FZR400 FZR400 FZR400 FZR400 FZR400 or..................a...............FZR400
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 01:52 AM   #76
Pacer
Founding Member

Then buy a motor out of an FZR 600, insert, and you are even cooler.
Old 05-15-2004, 02:00 AM   #77
Pacer
Founding Member

Also take the MFS course. There is one thing I alway tell people that say they want to buy a bike...... Get ready to fall. If you can't accept the possibility buy an Explorer. In the end it is a wake up call. You may fall, are you ready for that? If you are take the MSF course and have fun............... FZR 400's are so entertaining.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:29 AM   #78
EdgyDrifter
Founding Member

Hey... there's nothing wrong with the 2CV. Not great for burning miles on the superslab, but awesome for putting around country two-lanes.

Practically indestructible (because what is there to destroy in the first place?), and so utilitarian looking that it doesn't matter if you NEVER wash it.

I have fond memories of those little crap boxes.
EdgyDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote