Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 05-13-2004, 03:36 AM   #31
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default Re: New Rider

Ninja 250 or 500 are solid bikes and a good choice. The GS 500 is redesigned this year and looks much better than previous years. Ducati m620 is cool and can be had cheap. Kaw's Vulcan 500 is reliable and comfortable for two up riding. Yamaha's v-star 650 you can ride for years and never need to move to a larger displacement. From an insurance agent perspective, all of these are fine rides and cheap on insurance. As good as the SV650 is stay away from it until you turn 21. Progressive just moved the bike to a sport bike category and you'll get burned by premium. Most all other insurance companies still have the SV650 in the right place but age and zip code will determine premium. If you don't mind used bikes then look at the Yamaha Virago 250 or Honda Shadow 750. Early GS500s are not pretty but super reliable and the cheapest deal to be has will be the Ninja 250. Good luck kid.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2004, 04:37 AM   #32
Mooner
Founding Member

Default Re: Dirt Bike

I assume that you are referring to an older mild mannered 250 four stroke when yu say 50 to 250cc. I don't think this guy needs a 250 two smoker. Ending up on your head your very first time wouldn't give a good impression.
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 04:49 AM   #33
gceaves
Registered Member

I bought my first bike when I was 27. It was a 125cc Daelim VS125 (a "cruiser"). Many of the courier/dispatch riders here in Seoul ride that model. The Daelim was a good bike on which to learn. I've since passed it on to a friend, for free. You're a lucky bastard to get your first bike at 17. When I was 17, I was still driving a Citroen 2CV.

Riding my first bike was absolutely exhilarating. Thrilling. Seeing God himself doesn't feel as good as riding your own bike for the first time. It's the meaning of life. Two-wheel travel has since become the single most important aspect of my life. It's the greatest quality of life improvement I've ever made. I tell all my friends to buy a bike. In my spare time, I sit around and think, "What sort of motorcycle defines me?"

A year later, at the age of 28, I upgraded to a 250cc Hyosung Mirage/Aquila. I've had it for just over a year now, or almost 18'000 miles. It's a decent bike, I suppose. It leaks a lot of oil. Adequate for touring, even with a bird on the back. I like the sound-- like a sharpening knife blade-- when I scrape the floorboards around turns.

I didn't take any motorcycle safety/riding course. Instead, I read David Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling" from front to back, numerous times. The man is a great boon to motorcycle kind. I keep his book on my bed side table for daily reading. Mr Hough's writing style is a bit basic, like MO's, but his message is true. His chapters about countersteering are particularly good.

Buy the best armour and the best helmet available. It's worth it.

One more note: my Dad's first bike was a 330cc Matchless single. He rode from New York to Mexico City in 1952, across most of the US and the desert, too. So don't let anyone ever tell you what "this model" or "that model" is capable of. You determine what your bike can do.

And make sure to get a pretty loud stereo/speaker set-up for your tank bag. Loud music makes cruising more fun.

-gregory

Seoul, Korea
gceaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 05:14 AM   #34
dante
Founding Member

I had a SV650 as my second bike (first was a nighthawk 250), to be perfectly honest, it was a bit intimidating. The "telepathic" steering that experienced riders love was too fast / nerve wracking for me, and there was no way I could push it anywhere near it's limits, like I could with my little nighthawk.

However, with that said, I outgrew the nighthawk pretty quickly -- (try going on the interstate with one of those things -- I think Max speed on my 250 was about 80. )

And, if you eventually want to put a little hottie on the back seat with you, (and what's the point of being 17 if you don't? ), I'd say either the GS500 or the Ninja 500 would be the way to go, nice light bikes with just the right amount of power. Hell, I'm thinking about getting one as my next bike, as I want a bike who's power I can really use, instead of some ultra powerful machine that I always feel slow on.

dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 05:15 AM   #35
jevad1
Founding Member

I totally agree with the Ninja 250. It was my first street bike and I it was awesome. I'm 5'11" and weigh about 205.

I also completely agree with the learn to ride in the dirt theory. Almost all of the best racers learned to ride on dirt bikes.

Good Luck and be safe.
jevad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 05:24 AM   #36
jevad1
Founding Member

Default Re: DUDE, WHAT'S A 50CC?

FYI...

Buy a big bike...

Don't wear a helmet....

Crash a few times....

End result is you end up like this guy.

(What a ***** retard)
jevad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 05:31 AM   #37
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: 50CC

Yeah, you're right, what lame-ass teenager could have any kind of fun on one of those puny things? No fun at all...

...except I'd love to spend a few hours thrashing around that GPR80...oh, sh*t, I just realized I'M A PUZZY!

(Everyone check out the GPR50 Nude. That's what the Benelli TNT should have looked more like.)

(Cool link MR. AC. Hey, how come no reco for the Rocket III?)
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 05:36 AM   #38
SRMark
Founding Member

Do try the Ninja250! I'm 6'1" & 235 and had a blast on the one I rode. While the Suzuki GS500 and Ninja500 are both good choices, at least take a 250 out for a spin. You might be amazed and you will be less likely to stuff yerself into a tree. As always though, I recommend an xr100 and some dirt tails to really learn how to ride. You can buy an old one, ride it for a while and sell it for what you paid for it. Be careful and have fun. Welcome to a very pleasurable life long pursuit.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 05:46 AM   #39
SRMark
Founding Member

It took MRALLCAPS longer to chime in than I would have guessed. As usual, his advice is right on the money. Ignore all of the useless advice listed above. If your goal is to wad your all-ready-diminutive body into a more compact, more appealing shape, stick with ALLCAPS.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 05:47 AM   #40
pdad13
Founding Member

I know I'm going to ruin it for him, but MR. ALLCAPS is strictly a tongue-and-cheek alter ego of one of fellow MO-ers. You may not be familiar with him if you don't read the forums much. And the only reason I'm exposing him to the few people who aren't in on the joke is the outside chance that our 17-year old new rider isn't either.

Although New Rider will probably meet more than a few real life MR. ALLCAPS if decides to pursue motorcycling.

Sorry, MR. AC. YOU RULE!! HOW ABOUT A 60MPH STOPPIE DURING RUSH HOUR? COULD GET YOU A STARRING ROLE IN BIKER BOYZ II.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote