Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 05-12-2004, 06:22 PM   #21
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: New Rider

Lots of good advice here. But I'll throw in my two cents anyway. Actually, I'm just going to second a lot of what's above:

1. Get some dirt experience if it's available to you.

2. Make sure you've got some DRIVING experience under your belt (this was excellent advice and often overlooked). You need to be comfortable on the road. Riding a motorcycle is a far more demanding activity than driving a car. You should be thinking about what it takes to ride your bike and not what that funny looking sign means or if you're in the correct lane to make a left turn.

3. Learn how to drive a car with a MANUAL transmission (if you don't already know.) I don't know if anybody else on this board believes this, but I strongly feel that learning to drive a stick will help you to begin to master the coordination, gear selection, engine braking and throttle control that is critical to riding. And it's safer, potentially less expensive, and slightly less humiliating than learning to do it on a bike first. It'll also make you a better driver.

4. Take the MSF course or at least do some intensive reseach on good riding techniques. Crack open a few books and then go practice in the dirt.

5. Know someone who's already an experienced, responsible rider (Dad?) Have them show you the basics and then see #6.

6. If you must have a street bike now, find an empty parking lot nearby and set up a little obstacle course with cones. Learn a little bit about the dynamics and feel of a motorcycle. At least if you drop the bike there, you'll be going fairly slow and no one will run you over.

7. If you're patient and take the above steps, you'll feel more comfortable when you get your first street bike. Don't let any novice with balls bigger than his brain tell you that you need a 600cc super sport. In the end, you'll probably be a better rider than that squid and it'll be that much more satisfying when he can't ride his GSX-R as well as you can ride your Ninja 500.

8. "So where the hell is your advice on a starter bike you long-winded bore," you ask? Well, if you take some prudent steps, I think the Ninja referenced above is a good choice. You won't outgrow it right away, and if you're thinking about sport bikes, it's a good primer for the more advanced ones.

9. Buy USED! There are plenty of well-maintained used EX-500 Ninjas out there (as well as some of the other bikes mentioned by other members.) And since they don't redesign these bikes much, an older one is virtually identical to the new ones. Much cheaper and you can get your money's worth out of 'em.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2004, 08:08 PM   #22
EbonFlame
Founding Member

Default "scared shytless"

Kpaul, you ever done track days or amateur racing? Do you get any use of the other half of that Ninja's powerband?
EbonFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 08:15 PM   #23
EbonFlame
Founding Member

Default first bike -- sv650

Hrm, at 20 I bought my first motorcycle, an sv650, and if I had it to do over again, though it's a great bike, I would have bought something a little smaller and become a better rider, then sold the smaller bike and bought the SV.

I went down twice in the first six months of riding, -- once my fault, wet slightly off-balance manhole cover, the other an animal jumped out of nowhere and ran INTO me --

neither were bad...

but the SV is still a FAST bike; when you look at quarter-mile times (including all the speeds 99% of street riding is at, of course), the 'zook would put down, say, a Ferrari (sp?). It IS forging, compared to a 'real' supersport, in my limited experience with those, but I think I wouldn't give myself that much power to start with next time.

Just a couple cents worth of advice. It wasn't a BAD starter bike though, and I didn't have to go through buying and selling the other one... but hey, now all I WANT to do is go buy a cheap dirtbike and play around with the limits of traction.
EbonFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 08:20 PM   #24
fireworks
Founding Member

Default Re: New Rider

You have lots of opinions. Read some of the threads here and then make up your mind: http://www.gixxer.com/ubbthreads/pos...at=&Board=UBB3

My advise is this. Buy protective gear, take a course, THEN look at a bike to buy. Find one that fits you, one your comfortable on and worry about the power last. Unfortunately, seeing as your new to this, you may have to just bite the bullet this year and buy something you can handle. Just think of it as a learning year.

If your really desperate, buy a cheap scooter. You'll gain road experience, and then later in the summer pick up a bike.
fireworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 08:24 PM   #25
MRALLCAPS
Founding Member

Default DUDE, WHAT'S A 50CC?

I DON'T EVEN THINK THEY MAKE MOTORCYCLES THAT SMALL AND ANYTHING UNDER 1000CC'S IS FOR PUSSIES ANYWAY. IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT A 400CC SPORTBIKE LIKE A CB-1 OR A BANDIT 400 WEIGHS MORE THAN A ZX-10R (THE MOST AWESOME MOTORCYCLE THAT HAS EVER EXISTED IN HUMAN HISTORY) AND CAN DO OVER 100 MPH ANYWAY, SO WHY NOT USE YOUR MONEY ON SOMETHING COOL LIKE A ZX-10?

YOUR DAD TOTALLY DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT AND BESIDES, IF HE LOVED YOU HE'D HELP YOU BUY A ZX-10 LIKE MY MOM HELPED ME BUY A GSXR1000 (THAT SLOW-ASS HEAP!)

YOU TOTALLY WON'T DIE AND YOU CAN PULL RIPPER WHEELIES. MOTORCYCLING IS ALL ABOUT HIGH SPEED IN A STRAIGHT LINE AND YOU WILL GET BORED REALLY FAST IF YOU DON'T GET SOEMTHING REALLLY FAST AND POWERFUL.

KPAUL IS REALLY SMART AND GIVES GOOD ADVICE. HE'S A TOTAL EXPERT WITH WELL OVER 3500 MILES ON AT LEAST 3 DIFFERENT MOTORCYCLES. LISTEN TO HIM AND BUY AN SV650. AND A PAIR OF 6" HEELS FOR YOUR BOOTS. AND A TURBOCHARGER.
MRALLCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 08:35 PM   #28
MRALLCAPS
Founding Member

Default 50CC

OH, SOME LAME-O SENT ME THIS LINK WITH A 50CC SPORTBIKE. IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE ANY FUN AT ALL.

www.derbi.com
MRALLCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 08:46 PM   #29
dylanmo
Founding Member

Default SPELLING GESTAPO

IT'S SPELLED "PUSSIEZ", "WHEELIEZ", "MOTORCYCLEZ", AND "HEELZ".

YOU DUMBAZZ

dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 10:16 PM   #30
HobbleFoot
Founding Member

Default Re: first bike -- sv650

You may be right in saying the SV might be too much. My first bike was a Nighthawk 750. I rode it home from the guy's house I bought it from. I made it out of his driveway onto the street and then up the hill to the stop sign. It took me about 7 stalls to get the stupid thing to go. Anyway, I eventually crashed it and got an SV 650. Basically, it has the same power as the Nighthawk only about 90lbs lighter. It makes a huge difference. But, yeah, at 17yrs. old, maybe something smaller would be more appropriate.
HobbleFoot is offline   Reply With Quote