Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 05-12-2004, 12:53 PM   #11
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: New Rider

Get a Honda 100, or similar bike that you can thrash all day, and crash, without fear of damage to your body, or pocketbook. Don't get something that weighs 500 lbs, if you're 5 foot two, and weight 120 lbs.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2004, 12:59 PM   #12
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Get an inexpensive small displacement dual sport and have fun without worrying about what happens when you drop it. You won't be able to ride anything big, like a KLR650 or and XR650R, because of the height but there are a lot of smaller options out there. Just make sure that whatever you get is street legal (including tires), put oil and gas in it and go have fun.
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 01:41 PM   #13
grubz916
Registered Member

You're not trying to bait MR. ALLCAPS are you?
Old 05-12-2004, 02:11 PM   #14
Jim_Walker
Registered Member

The absolutely best way to learn to ride a motorcycle is to start with a relatively mild four stroke dirtbike. In addition to my street bikes, I have a Yamaha TTR250 (I had to beef up the suspension, but then I'm 195 lbs). Someone suggested a smaller dualsport, which I think is an outstanding idea. Buy it used, ride in the dirt a lot where you can push the limits of your skill (which is when you're really learning). If you dump it, no big deal. Ride the bike for a year or so, and you should be able to sell it for pretty much what you paid for it, and go from there.

My first bike was a Honda 400 (many years ago), which was a great starter bike, but I did want more bike within a year or so. If you start out with a dirtbike or dualsport, in a year or so I suggest you look more in the 600 - 750 cc range, which should keep you smiling for a long time. Good luck, and keep being smart about it (sounds like you're off to a good start).
Old 05-12-2004, 02:40 PM   #15
eekadog
Founding Member

TAKE THE MSF CLASS...and then get a smaller used beater bike...you won't lose much money if any when you sell it and it will be much cheaper for insurance
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 02:47 PM   #16
jibosch
Registered Member

www.beginnerbikes.com has some Great Advice. Kawasaki Ninja 250 or 500 are Excellent Sport Bikes, as is the Honda Rebel 250, Yamaha Virago 250, or Kawasaki 500 LTD if You are looking for a Cruiser. Take the MSF Course, and read David Hough's "Street Strategies" also - so as to avoid situations that will Crunch You! Good Luck!
jibosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 03:59 PM   #17
naco_traficante
Registered Member

Default MSF class

Take the MSF class. A lot of riding is not intuitive (IMHO) and the class will open your eyes and get your head screwed on straight right from the beginning. The MSF braking drills in particular have saved my skin more than once. Then DO NOT buy a crotch rocket until you have a couple of seasons in the saddle. Never trust the cages, no drinking and ride naked only on special occasions.

naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 04:22 PM   #18
slewis
Founding Member

At your height, I would look for something that you'll feel comfortable on. I used to have a KZ-250 LTD in the early 80's that was 5/8 size (I'm 5'7") and I felt really comfortable on it. It was a little under-powered since I had a lot of dirt bike experience before this first street bike but the size made it less scary and a lot more fun. I ride a FZ-1 now. The seatheight (31.1") feels a little uncomfortable but nowhere near how it would feel if I hadn't spent time on shorter bikes before.

I'd worry a lot more about seatheight than engine displacement. 50cc is not enough for your age and weight and anything more than 500 - 650 or so may be too much and get you in trouble but ultimately, your comfort with the height and weight of the bike will have a lot more to do with whether you have a good first experience and join the rest of us as lifelong riders.
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 04:26 PM   #19
HobbleFoot
Founding Member

The problem for you is that you lack experience driving on the road in general (at least legally). The advantage for me when I bought my first streetbike (age 21) was that I already had a few years getting used to traffic signals, other cars, squirrel avoidance, squirrel run-overing, etc. When I got my bike I was learning to ride something new, but in a very familiar environment. However, maybe you're more mature for your age than I was. If so, and I almost hate to open this can of worms, buy an SV650.

The reason:

1)It's a forgiving bike to ride.

2)It has enough power so that after you learn how to ride, you won't get bored.

3)It makes cool sounds with the right exhaust.

4)If you get the non-S model you won't be accused of having a pretend sport bike.

5)You will achieve 1/3 nirvana.

Make sure you buy all the gear!! It's all much, much cheaper than hospital bills!

-My apologies to the MO regulars for having to endure this post-

HobbleFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 05:10 PM   #20
ddlewis
Registered Member

Default second that

Any of these would be an excellent choice: DR, XL, KLR, XT. Shoot for < 400 cc.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote