Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-29-2004, 02:39 PM   #1
RonXX
Founding Member

Default Re: Adirondack Mountain Trip

I used to live about 70 miles north of New York City, and I went on a trip to the official Adirondack park area one time. While I'm sure that there are plenty of good motorcycling roads somewhere in the Adirondacks, I couldn't find any. They were mostly crappy roads meandering between trailers and woods. Any of the newly renovated sections were just loose stone chippings with tar. Obviously not ideal. I'm sorry I couldn't have been more helpful, maybe a trip back to Deal's Gap would be better.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-29-2004, 07:55 PM   #2
wwalkersd
Founding Member

I've never even seen the Adirondacks, but here's a tour company that operates there:

wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 01:31 AM   #3
westcork
Founding Member

Pashnit is a great collectin of roads in California. They have links to similar sites in other parts of the country.

Scroll to bottom of this page:

http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm
westcork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 07:46 AM   #4
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Hmm. I just viewed this and I see the URL I typed in doesn't show up. That's odd. Here's another try:

http://www.motorcycletours.com/home.htm

Sorry, I can't remember the HTML syntax to make that clickable.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 12:32 PM   #5
kill_van_kull
Registered Member

I agree. I've taken a couple trips thru the adirondack's and couldn't find anything close to the quality of the deal's gap area. or west virginia for that matter. if you're half way between em, i'd say you've got better closer to home.
kill_van_kull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:27 AM   #6
Holatahd
Founding Member

Hey Lowrez,

Ride extensively in the Adrondacks and have for years. Lots of great roads and scenery. Rt 10 is a great twistie in varying degrees of condition. Some frost heaves in spots but smooth as a babys bottom in others.

Rt. 30 has just been repaved and is awsome. It will take you all the way to Tupper Lake where you can pick up Rt. 3 and go east into Saranac Lake and on into Lake Placid. Rt 73 will take you down to the Northway (RT87) if you want to take the super slab south if not, you can go further east and pick up say Rt 22.

Also lots of excellent riding coming up through the Catskills, again on Rt. 10 and RT 30. Lost's of east west roads as well. You get the idea. Let me know if I can be of further help.

Holatahd
Holatahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:06 AM   #7
zxman_1
Founding Member

i ride the adirondacks all the time, in fact, that is the home of the Americade rally that's

held in the beginning of june. i usually make home base somewhere between lake george village up route 9n to bolton landing. it's a ten mile stretch loaded with motels and eateries.

i pick any motel that has a vacancy. all are nice and clean and usually family owned and operated. from there i travel north on route 9n to rt. 28. to blue mt. lake. then take rt. 28n

towards the town of long lake to newcomb. if you look at a map you can see all this.

another ride is from "home base" you can take rt 9n north to fort ticongeroga stop at the fort then take the ferry across to vermont and take rt 7 south to rt 4 west that will take you back to lake george.

tip, obey the speed limit in the small towns!! when the road opens up through the mountains PULL THE TRIGGER and enjoy
zxman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:07 AM   #8
Lowrez
Founding Member

This is great. Between you and Holatahd I have a starting point for my plans. It looks to me like I can pretty easily string together two days of solid riding without too much time wasted traveling from one decent road to the next. I'll be sure to keep detailed notes in my riding diary.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:08 AM   #9
Lowrez
Founding Member

Awesome resource!
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:03 AM   #10
SRMark
Founding Member

The Gap and the Adirondack's the same distance form your base of operations? Live near Virginia? If so, please don't turn your back on West Virginia's back roads. You'll have a ball and they could use the money. No, I don't live there. Don't get too upset with my digressing. I did live in those beautiful New York Mountains for a bit and must warn you; you may not want to go home as the trip's end nears. Here is a touring company in that area that you might want to check out. http://www.twouptours.com/

Have fun.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote