Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 03-02-2004, 05:39 PM   #11
yamahard350
Founding Member

Default Re: Adirondack Mountain Trip

Oh yes, pashnit.com is defnitely the

place to go to. If there is a motorcycling

road in the US, it is on the man's website.

ditto Deal's Gap.

ditto Adirondack Mts.
yamahard350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2004, 07:18 AM   #12
Detlef
Founding Member

Coming from the Montreal area, all roads south of the border are beautiful. This winter was especially rough, and so are the roads. The one comment I have worthy of sharing is that most people around here rave about Vermont and New Hampshire. Regardless, NY is closer, and I plan on doing a ride there first. I've looked at the map extensively, and I believe that Lake Placid will be a good objective or home base. Any comments or thoughts?
Detlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 12:18 PM   #13
02Nomad
Founding Member

Try Adirondacks And Beyond Motorcycle Tours

518 688 5589

I went last summer, they are the best!!!!

Tell mark that artie from long island sent you.

02Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 02:17 PM   #14
dominatr37
Founding Member

I ride the Adirondacks all the time. Feel free to contact me directly, and I can give you the details of a ten hour ride up to Lake George from Long Island, all back roads. Also, Americade is June 6th-13th. The best time to be up on the Adirondacks on a bike!
dominatr37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 12:20 PM   #15
HEOBrien
Registered Member

The AdirondackÂ’s are a great destination. There is the Americade rally, at Lake George, starting June 12th and going to the 17th, see their web site: http://www.tourexpo.com/04/index2.html.

The area is lettered with real nice roads. If you your interested in going a little further north there is the Lake Placid area. If you stay in Lake Placid itÂ’s pricey. If you more 9 miles to the north to Saranac Lake itÂ’s just as nice and more affordable. Just be prepared for weather and you should have a great ride.
HEOBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 12:23 PM   #16
HEOBrien
Registered Member

Actually, I sort of transposed the dates, the rally is fromn the 7th to the 12th.
HEOBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 12:42 AM   #17
wrietze
Registered Member

I stay at Lake George every year for Americade. Great riding between Lake George and Lake Placid. Also good for trips into Vermont. Some great riding around Killington and Woodstock, VT areas. I find new routes every year. Go and enjoy.
wrietze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 03:43 AM   #18
oliver
Registered Member

I went to college in Postdam & live in Syracuse,

The twisiest roads I have found are off of I-90 in Utica area, The locals just call it Speculator, for a town on that road. Its a somehwat diagonal line from Utica on I-90 to I-87. Tons of fun

-Oliver
oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 03:19 PM   #19
SuperBill
Founding Member

Good roads abound in the Adirondacks, but they are of a different style than the roads in the Deals Gap area. In the Adirondacks you will generally have to carry more speed to get the same thrill - not a problem if you follow the advice of an earlier post and slow down for the (few and far between) little towns. Just get a good map and pick the roads with the most squiggles and least towns.

Don't miss Route 10 between Caroga Lake and Higgins Bay. Plenty of curves and elevation changes, with lots of well-banked curves at the bottom of a dip (the kind of curve that makes you think you're a lot better rider than you really are!). And none of that annoying gravel that marks the apex of every right-hander in West Virginia. (BTW, I prefer this route from south to north, but others disagree).

There's a good motel in Tupper Lake on the north side of Route 3/30 - biker friendly, reasonable rates, a short walk to a good restaurant, and an easy crawl back from a local tavern. (Sorry, can't remember the name.)

Also, getting to the Adirondacks can be half the fun. Plenty of freeways if you have to get there fast, but there's lots of good riding in the Catskills if you have the time. Avoid Route 28 and you will be treated to some nice, tight twisties and "variable conditions" that will tax your skills. You can catch route 10 north of the Catskill Park for the least congested south-to-north crossing of the Thruway, and end up on that nice stretch of Route 10 between Caroga Lake and Higgins Bay.

Summer traffic can be frustraiing in both the Catskills and the Adirondacks. June and September are good months for riding while the kiddies are attending their studies. Makes a great detour on the way to Laconia over Father's Day (bring your rain gear).

Enjoy!
SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:28 AM   #20
delivron
Registered Member

Yes I know this is very out of date. But check out the opening page of www.tourtheadiondacks.com. There is a road called Tracy Road that is a blast. The canidians all come down for the ride. No we don't have a Deals Gap but we have a lot of roads that come close.

One of the best weeeks to visit is during Americade. Welcome to Americade.

Should you decide to come contact me. I know the best of the best in the Adirondacks and Western VT. I assure you fininding 3 to 4 days of great riding is very easy.

Oh by the way lots of excellent paved, State, and local roads for those great rides.
delivron is offline   Reply With Quote