Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-24-2004, 03:47 AM   #1
boru4761
Registered Member

Default Re: Help Me Pick a New Lid

I would look for something from Suomy or KBC or even Nolan. Seems like everyone wants (and will pay full price for) a new Shoei or Arai . I'm pretty sure a two year old Suomy will have all the ratings you are looking for and I have definitely noticed that they get discounted a lot faster than an Arai or Shoei. Also, a friend of mine just bought a flat black Icon. They are still really reasonable in price and he loves his.
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2004, 03:56 AM   #2
pplassm
Founding Member

I have been buying HJC helmets for the past couple of years. Fit and finish is right up there with Shoei, and cost is much, much lower.

Seems we're paying for a name with the big two!
Old 02-24-2004, 03:59 AM   #3
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Great Shoei Sale

Sierra Trading Post is having a great sale on the previous generation Shoei street lid, the RF900, as long as you like yellow or blue. How about $249 for an 'A' list helmet? Sierra Trading Post is a very reputable company I've done business with for years. Go to www.sierratradingpost.com and do a keyword search for Shoei or follow this link

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/EUI...3A94005423617F
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:07 AM   #4
steve_griffiths
Founding Member

I end up with AGV X-vent helments. Seems you can only get them on ebay in the US, although they are very popular in Europe - Rossi and other MotoGP guys wear them. The Shoeis can be a little quieter, but the AGVs have great cooling.
steve_griffiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:19 AM   #5
LocutusDeBorg
Founding Member

The problem I've had with Suomy is that they seem to have non-standard sizing and odd shaped shells. My Arai XL head doesnt even fit into the opening of any Suomy helmet and I have the red marks to prove it. A friend of mine with slightly smaller noggin reports that once you get your head in past the neck opening there is too much room inside....go figure.
LocutusDeBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:25 AM   #6
pplassm
Founding Member

Default How about this one?

http://www.onewheeldrive.net/index.p...ask=view&id=86
Old 02-24-2004, 04:44 AM   #7
Eric
Founding Member

Default Re: Great Shoei Sale

I have a Schoei RF 900 that I absolutely love. For me, at least, it fits perfectly and is very quiet compared to other full face helmets I have owned/tried. I have never owned an Arai, but have had cheaper helmets (KBC, HJC). For me, the Shoei is in a completely different class in terms of comfort for all-day rides. It even works with my glasses better than other helmets I have owned.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:44 AM   #8
naco_traficante
Registered Member

HD is planning a new helmet you can sit on too ... for $900. Holds water if you close the visor.
naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 05:28 AM   #9
Dryfly
Registered Member

I think a lot depends on your shape of head. If you've got a "round" head, you'll probably feel comfy in a Shoei. If you are an "oval" guy like myself, you'd love an Arai. If you're trying to save some $$, go for the KBC. They are great "bang for the buck" helmets. If I'd have known more about KBC's before I sprung for an Arai, I might have gone that route and used the extra cash for some accessories. If money is no object, go for an Arai.....They certainly didn't win all their rewards for being a bad product! I've found some great buys on them through dealer closeouts on Ebay. Good Luck!
Dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 05:43 AM   #10
zxr250cc
Founding Member

I have used ARAI RX 7 II and III a lot and like the fit finish and overall quality. In the last couple of years I have bought some AGV helmets and like them as well. The Demon Top Vent is good with excellent airflow and I like the overall finish. I have also bought higher line models like the top of the line X vent models, one year old as discounted closeout sales. All are nice quality at modest prices

of < $100-$150.
zxr250cc is offline   Reply With Quote