Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-25-2004, 01:46 PM   #41
xseal
Registered Member

Default Re: Help Me Pick a New Lid

I got a Shoei Z-II on ebay (new through a dealer) for $250, 2 yr old model. Go to ebay and do a search. When you need a helmet, you need a good one, and you never can predict when that is going to be.

xseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2004, 06:40 PM   #42
HarryMyhre
Founding Member

I found a nice "last year's model" Shoei RF900 at Cycle Gear for a really good price recently. Fits great, the ventilation is super, and it's very quiet. Last helmet was an el cheapo HJC...
HarryMyhre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 07:16 PM   #43
stillweldin
Founding Member

Try www.ogk-helmet.com, new US dist. for these pretty fine helmets
stillweldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 11:54 AM   #44
sportriderjed
Founding Member

I have an Arai Astral and an HJC CL-10. The fit of the Arai is a little better with less lift and motion at higher speeds, and it is a little quieter, but there is not really a $300 dollar difference in feel or fit. The finish of the Arai is much nicer and I think that is what you are paying for. The venting is about the same on both.

I had a KBC and I got a really tight spot on my oval (egg) shaped forehead and the venting really sucked. If you are looking for good venting the Arai RX7RR is the best I have ever felt, but then you get a lot of wind noise. Generally, the better the venting the more wind noise. I wear ear plugs so the noise is no biggie, but it sure sucks to have a really hot head in the summer.

The most important thing about buying a helmet is getting the right size and shape for your egg- most people are wearing helmets that are too big. If you can wait to go to a race and stop by the Arai booth do it. They are really helpful with finding the model that will fit best on your nugg. Otherwise just wear it around the shop for 30 min or so and make an educated guess.
sportriderjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 11:55 AM   #45
rubin
Registered Member

Default Re: Spend as much as it takes.

Any dealer with whom you regularly do business should let you ride your bike with the helmet on as part of the tryout process, not just walk around in the store. Pretty hard to test noise/wind without being on the bike.
rubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 03:18 AM   #46
xlr8r
Founding Member

The plain-jane version by a good manufacturer is usually a good bet. I've just bought a Shoei Raid (can you get those in the US?) which is based on the RF/TXR series of helmets. Plain silver colour, quiet, good vents, very comfortable, high quality, and only half the price of this year's racer replica with its wacky graphics and add-on winglets/ spoilers etc. I agree, too with the guy up the page a way who says you either have a Shoei shaped head or an Arai shaped head. It's true.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 07:40 AM   #47
ikonoklass
Founding Member

This is another vote for an RF900. They're all over the Internet for around 200 bones, and it's a top-notch lid. I may take my own advice and get one this weekend. Currently a happy RF800 customer. It's just like buying new skis... I would never pay full-price for this year's offering when I can get last year's for half price.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:55 AM   #48
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

From my own experience, I would only consider two brands - HJC, or Arai. If you are on a budget, HJC is pretty tough to beat- they're every bit as good as Shoei (I've owned several of each), and are usually a lot less money. Parts are less for HJCs as well, and from my own experience are easier to get as well. Arai's are quite a bit better in terms of comfort (for my melon, anyway) than either Shoei or HJC, but are incredibly expensive.

Stay away from Nolan- I owned two of them, and after a year or two both were impossible to get replacement shields for.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:49 AM   #49
civicracerx
Founding Member

HJC CS-12 is a fantastic value. It's one of the few (maybe the only?) helmets I've seen that has a nice complement of vents and Snell M2000 approval for less than $100 ($89.95 at Motorcycle Superstore). Being a young punk, I got the Von Breaker version with graphics for $10 more
civicracerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 03:12 PM   #50
mwbulli
Founding Member

I picked up an Arai Signet Gt recently at a local Honda shop. I was wearing a Shoei r 800.

Don't know if it is the shape or what, but the arai is very comfortable. I took a long ride last weekend, about 4 hours, and the lid stayed on with comfort both two hour legs, with a short lunch and fuel break halfway.

Cost was 335$-"sale price"
mwbulli is offline   Reply With Quote