Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-25-2004, 04:36 AM   #31
io
Founding Member

Default Crash Standards in EU

Not exactly on topic, but while we're talking about helmets

Over here we have DOT and Snell, and I understand those.

On european brand lids I've seen advertised an ECE-22.05 safety certification.

Is this comparable to either DOT or Snell, in terms of safety or crash protection?

The reason I ask is that two recent high-end helmets have caught my attention

the BMW Sportintegral carbon

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/s...al_carbon.html

and the Vemar VSR carbon listed in the recent Motorcyclist.

http://www.vemar-usa.com/vsrcarbon.html

io is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2004, 06:38 AM   #32
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Crash Standards in EU

From what I've read I think the Euro standard is as high or higher than ours like CE rated armor and such. Either way if it's sold by BMW it's probably made by Schubarth which is comparable to Shoei or Aria

I use a Shoei RF900 w/ graphics and I find they fit and vent pretty well and are comfortable all day, I wear ear plugs if I'm going to be doing any high speed riding because my windshield is very noisey, but times I've worn it on a standard I thought it was a pretty quiet helmet.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 07:00 AM   #33
2wheeler
Founding Member

Default Re: Help Me Pick a New Lid

I completely agree with you that we are paying for the name on Arai and Shoei. Who else but the customer props up their gigantic marketing budgets?

On the other hand they are also excellent helmets.

My Arai Quantum F is one of the very few helmets I have tried where the vents really do work. Also Arai visors are signifcantly stronger than other visors (or did I just fall for the marketing hype?). Ultimately I found the Arai had the best fit for me and I chose it on that basis but I don't feel too much ripped off.

P.S. I like HJC too. They are great value.
2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 07:13 AM   #34
Flickmeister
Registered Member

In my opinion, it would be hard to beat the HJC AC-11 series. For years, I owned Arais, but my latest Signet-GT had one of the front air scoops come off and one of the vents in the back broke. Arai sent me a new front vent (easy to stick back on), but the big one in the back would have been a ***** to pry off and reapply. I also had a problem with the D-rings rusting on all four of the Arai helmets I had previously owned. Every year I would take them to Daytona, and, if they had the machine to replace the strap with them, they would. More than a couple of times, they forgot the machine, and I had to wait till next year. In their 5 year warranty cycle, each of my Arais had to have their straps replaced 2-3 times. Part of the reason for the rust is I live in Florida and I sweat a lot, but still....

Bottom line.....I got sick of paying premium prices and having these problems. The Arais always fit extremely well and felt luxurious to be in. After the problems with the latest Signet, I found the HJC AC-11 at about half the price. While the finish isn't as perfect as the Arai helmets, it still is top self. The helmet is just as comfortable and passes more air through it's vents and is quieter than my previous Arais, and it won't rip your years off when putting it on like my Arai Signet did. As a top quality and beatuifully fitting and functioning helmet for a great price, the HJC AC-11 certainly gets my vote. Hope this helps. Cheers, Jack
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 07:28 AM   #35
Mooner
Founding Member

I think it is all going to be a personal thing. I have a Soumy Spec 1R (new model last year), and it fits my head perfectly. I really love this helmet. Only complaint would be it is loud. The venting is excellent, and I wear earplugs, so it is a bit of a non-issue.
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 07:38 AM   #36
Flickmeister
Registered Member

Be careful of the Suomy helmets. If you require replacement parts on a discontinued model, you may not be able to get them. My dealer discontinued the Suomy line after they had this problem (along with some very unhappy customers) a few times.
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:03 AM   #37
bradbarker738
Registered Member

Default More useful than an article about soap

Thanks. Maybe it's something MO could work on as a story. It would be more useful than a story about over-priced Harley logo'd cleaning products.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:53 AM   #38
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Re: Crash Standards in EU

The EC standard is actually a bit higher than DOT. Their racing standard is also tougher than Snell, though it's arguable that it doesn't need to be. Any BMW brand helmet is going to be good. Be careful of some of the Euro brands unless the importer is "legal." There have been some out of date Euro helmets sold here, though not by any recognized dealer/distributor.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 11:50 AM   #39
kdurrell
Founding Member

Default Re: Great Shoei Sale

I also have a flat black Shoei RF900, cost about $220 when I bought it last fall. I added one of those tinted shields which makes it look fairly aggressive without any garish graphics...
kdurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 02:30 PM   #40
LIMEDUST
Registered Member

i have always bought HJC helmets because they fit me, and because they're a good deal price wise. The name brand lids weren't very comfortable for my head, and they were twice as expensive. Maybe I have a wierd shaped head?

Anyway, I had an AC-10, that cost about $189 I think, quiet, light and comfortable. I crashed my bike last fall at 80 mph on the freeway wearing that helmet and miraculously I had no neck strain, or other 'head' injuries. Helmet took a beating though. Of course I had to replace the helmet after the crash, which I did with a AC-11, the new replacement for the AC-10. If I could have found a AC-10 I would have got that but I couldn't find any!

I would recommend any of HJC full face helmets. Hope I helped.
LIMEDUST is offline   Reply With Quote