Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-02-2004, 03:22 AM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: is 600 miles of break-in really necessary?

Yes.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2004, 03:38 AM   #2
saddlebag
Registered Member

If only to give charity to your local bike shop.
saddlebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 03:40 AM   #3
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

You are going to find that people fall into 2 camps on this one.

The everything is seated after 50 miles group, and the baby it for 2000 miles lot.

I think that break-in procedures for motorcycles aren't written by engineers anymore, but by lawyers.
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 03:43 AM   #4
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Used to the bike time

The lawyer thing might be on the right track. Maybe they want a full 600 miles so that you have time to get used to the bike before hammering it so you are not as likely to lose it.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 04:10 AM   #5
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

I think the real question is why are you asking, Matt? Are you getting a bit anxious with the new ride?

Simply speaking; follow the manufacturers break-in schedule as best you can and you should be OK. I've done this on a bunch of different bikes and have put big miles on my bikes with no problems so far. (No excess oil burning, no leaking valves or rings, etc.)

Understand, "...as best you can..." means just that. Once the first 50 miles are out of the way I have broken in all my bikes the same way. I take a weekend trip to Hot Springs, Arkansas from Oklahoma City by way of the back roads. That's a little over 600 mi roundtrip. I stay off the interstate entirely on the way there so the speeds are below 65 mph and the little towns keep me from riding at a set speed for very long. The way back I usually hit the highway for the last 100 mi blast home and the only thing I don't do is rev to the redline.
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 04:32 AM   #6
eightbits
Founding Member

saw this article a few weeks back re: break in procedures. gives a few interesting counter points to the 600mile+ break in.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

mind you, i've never owned a new bike, so i have no experience in the matter
eightbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 05:05 AM   #7
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Break in fast, run fast.

The 600 mile service is important to make sure everything is seated correctly, but I run my bikes up through the gears as soon and as often as possible.

I don't mean drag racing but you want to get the rpm's up so the rings seat in, otherwise you'll have a slug for a bike.

The big thing thing at the first service is to change the oil and filter and check the valves. The rest is just basic maintainance like adjusting the chain and tightening nuts and bolts.

I take it in to have the first service done in case I have a warranty claim later, it strengthens your case. After that I do my own maintainance and save the reciepts.

sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 05:26 AM   #8
mjs
Founding Member

I don't think that there is a simple yes or no answer to this question, as it depends on the type of motorcycle and what is actually recomended by the manufacturer.

I have broken in quite a few new bikes with good results. I tend to follow the manufacturer's instructions but vary them somewhat

I've been told that you want to think of the break in period more in terms of HEAT CYCLES rather than in terms of actual miles ridden.

Vary the enging speed often with periods of acceleration followed by periods of deceleration to flush the cylinder walls.

Do not ride the highway at a constant speed for a long time

Stay somewhat within the recommended RPM range.

Don't be too easy on the the motor or keep the RPM's too low.

mjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 05:31 AM   #9
Bordcla
Founding Member

Default Re: Break in fast, run fast.

As much as I know, from all I have read and learned from engine builders and mechanics, high manifold pressure is key to breaking in an engine, to allow the rings to seat properly.

This means that you should look for large throttle opening on acceleration and closed throttle on deceleration. The manifold pressure presses the rings against the cylinder bores, allowing them to wear in accordance with the exact shape of the bore, allowing a perfect seal.

Note that large throttle openings DO NOT equate to high RPMs!!! The higher you rev the engine early in its life, the quicker you'll wear out the rings and the bore imperfection, which would prevent you from "breaking them in" the best possible way.

The MototuneUSA article pretty much sums it all: low RPM, high throttle for the first 50-80 miles, and then progressively stretch the RPM band. Avoid prolonged high RPMs for the first few hundred miles. And change your oil after 80 miles or so.

Best of luck!

Claude
Bordcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 05:39 AM   #10
elchulopadre
Founding Member

Just fanning the flames, I guess... This is a very controversial topic.

http://www.bmwrt.com/faq/breakin.htm

Similar to the other article someone linked to.
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote