Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-02-2004, 09:35 AM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Default I don't think so.

Trust me. I can find lots of ways to be entertained. The eternal root canal that is Kook is not one of them.

One of my favorites is talking motorcycles and closely related issues. Not reading press releases from political extortion gangs or opinions about which rich honky is going to be the next Chief Thief.

Anybody tried any new bike accessories lately?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2004, 09:43 AM   #22
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Re: is 600 miles of break-in really necessary?

The general answer is "yes." However, there are some bikes that have different break in procedures. Read the owner's manual and follow the instructions. My bike's break in procedure was different and simple: "No full power starts for 300 miles." And I followed it.

I once worked at a shop that sold Suzukis. We always knew that the guys who had to lay rubber going out of our lot on their new Gixxer would be back sooner rather than later. We also were very reluctant to take a bike on trade in that had not been broken in properly.

When I buy a bike that needs a 600 mile break in, I always endeavor to do it in a weekend. Then I have that crap out of the way and don't have to worry about it. Does it work? Well, in the fifteen or so bikes that I've owned, I've had one problem that stopped me, and that was electrical.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 09:52 AM   #23
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default We could pick on you.

You're Canadian right? That would be a good start!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 09:54 AM   #24
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: I don't think so.

My Mp3 player works pretty good on my Geezer Glide and the new Jane's Addiction cd is really cool.

How's that?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 09:54 AM   #25
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Trying a Crane cam in the old Shovel. Broke down and got an S&S carb to replace the Bendix too.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:01 AM   #26
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Are 600 break-in miles really necessary?

If there is such a thing as a stupid question this happens to be it. Why would the manufacturer put this in the owners manual and or stickers on the tach. Look leave the engineering to the professionals and follow the directions. In the case of my 2001 Ninja bike it had two break in periods. One was to keep the bike below 6000 rpm and another to keep it below 8,000 if I remember correctly. More importantly is the 600 mile service

So of the idiot responses like insurance, legal etc are funny but make absolutely no sense even for "experts" like the three stooges Longride, Budglyde and Serasuzy.

Maybe MO should make a few phone calls to Japan with some our subscription money to see if KPaul is full of it eh?

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:03 AM   #27
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Correction

"So of the idiot responses" should read "Some of the idiot responses"
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:04 AM   #28
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Are 600 break-in miles really necessary?

You subscribed again? Have you no principles?
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:05 AM   #29
Mashuri
Founding Member

Default Kevin Cameron and Rob Muzzy seem to think so.

Go read THIS ARTICLE and see what they have to say about it. Remember, you're breaking in more than just the rings. Bearings, transmission, cush drive, etc. are all brand new as well.
Mashuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:13 AM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

I'm still waiting for the prices to plummet so I can get a basket case shovel cheap!

I had an S&S on my 81 fatbob. Gave a little more power but wouldn't idle worth a darn. I also had a belt primary which allowed me to run the primary case without oil thus preserving the dry clutch. That was pretty trick.