Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-02-2004, 06:55 AM   #11
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: is 600 miles of break-in really necessary?

KPaul's been breaking his in for 18,000 miles/2.6 years!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2004, 07:36 AM   #12
seruzawa
The Toad

And to make sure your warranty doesn't get voided.

I've followed break-in on several bikes. Basically, no full throttle, running up and down the gears, varying speeds, etc. First oil change is important. After that... go for broke. All the bikes have performed well and reliably. I see no reason not to follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:39 AM   #13
sarnali
Founding Member

High MSF scores coupled with relevant magazine test articals, are the key to proper break-in.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 07:57 AM   #14
gniewko
Registered Member

This procedure seems like a great way to make sure that your rings never get seated properly. In order for the rings to get seated, they have to be pushed outwards by high cylinder pressure, and you just don't get that with low throttle openings. Maybe this article is just BMW R-series, specific, but if you do this to a modern motorcycle engine, you'll end up with a low-power, leaky-ring engine that uses tons of oil (wait, isn't that all BMWs? .

Motorcycle engines don't need to be babied. A recent issue of Bike magazine (from UK) has an engine destruction test - they ran a Kawasaki ZX-6R engine at redline for a long time with no coolant and with just 1qt of oil. They managed to burn out and blow up the exhaust and pretty much set the bike on fire, but the engine never seized and after cooling down (and topping it up with oil and water) it ran fine.

I would rather trust the recommendations of this guy:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm. He at least has seen the engine internals from many engines broken-in according to various procedures, and his writing seems much more informed than that of the BMW guy.

-Gniewko
gniewko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 08:30 AM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

Default You just can't resist...

....summoning up the demon from the pit, can you?
Old 02-02-2004, 08:57 AM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: You just can't resist...

Oh hell, he's going to show up whether I summon him or not.

He's out collecting various blogger links as we speak.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 09:12 AM   #17
wrecks
Founding Member

You guys would get bored without him.
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 09:46 AM   #18
TroyCPA32
Founding Member

Default Re: Are 600 break-in miles really necessary?

I've never had a new street bike, but I've had 6 new motocross bikes and all I've ever done is start initially for 10 minutes and then let cool, then ride normally for about 20 minutes, let cool and then consider the bike "broken in". I've never had any problems with any of the bikes and I've done then same with each of them......
Old 02-02-2004, 10:24 AM   #19
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

How about we try being bored. I'm up for it. Betting the farm he isn't going anywhere. Seruzawa is gonna owe me a beer on that one.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:29 AM   #20
cmice
Founding Member

Default Re: Are 600 break-in miles really necessary?

Common-knowledge says that left over slivers, chunks, and grit are left in the engine from it's original mfr and the break in oil allows for collection of that crud. Perhaps even the break-in oil is slightly different than standard oil with extra lube and junk to ease this process.

Further, in most freshly built engines I've known, parts need to "match" each other for smoothest, leak-free running. This match takes a little time, and 600mi is probably a reasonable for any daily-use vehicle.

(racers will bang-em in and run, but they live with motors that are rebuilt every 3 races or so).

Besides, if it slips out that you beat it badly during break-in, I'd walk away from you if I were a dealer about to provide service.

Do what the mfr says, and if it chokes, the *mfr* is responsible for remedying the situation. Why mess with that deal?

Chris
cmice is offline   Reply With Quote