Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-14-2003, 05:00 PM   #1
Grappelli
Registered Member

Default Re: After a Crash

When you get a new bike, take a long weekend and go into the montains... somewhere pretty where you can relax while you get the feel for being on a bike back. My guess.. a couple of days and you'll have adjusted your style will be comfortable again.
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2003, 05:01 PM   #2
Grappelli
Registered Member

by the way.. this is also meant to mean, stay away from freeways.... They will sap your confidence if it is low.
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 05:07 PM   #3
vigorito
Founding Member

I agree with "MO says," and I have Been There, Done That, and Got the Dislocated Shoulder to Prove It.
vigorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 05:08 PM   #4
nomad76
Founding Member

I had to wait out a winter before I could get back on a bike after I broke my leg in a stupid accident. I was scared to death, I won't lie, but that first 30-mile ride (which was to the ocean for me) made it all worth it. If you really want to do it, you'll do it, but be sure to ponder the risks yet again ...
nomad76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 05:26 PM   #5
pushrod
Founding Member

For me, the second worst part is the way the accident replays itself in my mind. I keep seeing that car coming right at me, and I have nowhere to go. Rock to the left, drop-off to the right...

The worst thing? The look my four year old girl gave me when I got home the next day, with my arm in a jiffy splint. That memory just tears me apart.

When my arm, my wrist in particular, healed up I sat my wife down and asked her, "No sh1t, what do you think about me getting another bike?". She told me she wasn't crazy about me going out and (possibly) getting hurt, and she was still a little miffed at how I'd set myself up for a crash by riding the Dragon (IHHO). "But," she said, "You've been riding since we met, and I know how much you love it." She told me to get a bike if that's what I wanted.

My first ride was pretty normal, and the local traffic was just as screwy as it has always been. I've put 650 local (break-in) miles on my new bike, and I guess I'm back to "normal".

I do admit, though, that I'm now a little more leery of oncoming traffic when I'm on a left hand sweeper.

My advice? It's up to you to decide whether to get back on that horse. As a buddy told me, "It is all a matter of Risk Management." You know, especially now, that it is possible you will be in a crash. It's your call whether it is worth it.

Being in the wind, for me, makes it worth the risk.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 05:52 PM   #6
Glenn1959
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your crash. Despite the angst a crash causes us it is also a reminder that we are vulnerable.

A crash can make us take stock of our strategies for managing risk. You sound like you are an intelligent rider who responded appropriately to the increased risk of a tailgating driver so what else could you have done to reduce the risk? Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I think you answered this yourself when you said you obviously did not leave a big enough gap. We all make mistakes. As long as you learn from the incident you are less likely to come to grief in the future.

Riding is one of the few adventures available to everyday people. Don' t give up, I'm sure you would regret it.
Glenn1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 06:12 PM   #7
wilmilan
Founding Member

Did your ST1100 have ABS? I suspect not, because it sounds like wheel lockup on the gravel is what led to the crash. If so, then one of the biggest confidence-enhancing things you could do is, next time, get a bike with ABS (maybe an ST1100 ABS). All the anti-ABS blather aside, ABS can and does save lives, and your case is one where it might have turned the crash and its consequences into just a scary stop. Having it next time could be a big confidence-builder all by itself.

Old 10-14-2003, 06:51 PM   #8
kowalke67
Founding Member

That's a hard call. I've had near misses that replay in my mind 15 years after the fact. If you love it enough get back on and see how it feels. Your gut will tell you what to do, even if it takes a year or two or three, etc. Fate may have had as much to do with your accident as anything else. Some people ride 30 years with nothing overly serious happening to them. Some people die three hours after getting the bike. The good thing I read in your after thoughts is you did (what we called in the Army) an After Action Review. What could I have done better? What was the situation and what caused it? Maybe you are that much smarter now and could chalk this up to experience and good fortune. Bottom line is only you will know if it is worth it get back on a motorcycle and when to do so.

I would like to know, what kind of gear you had on? If you walked away from this I am assuming some decent gear intended for motorcycle riding.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:42 PM   #9
jfgilbert
Founding Member

If you ask that question to this crowd, you already know you want to get back on a bike. When you do, book yourself to track school. You will be in a safe and controlled environment, you will always learn something, and you will get more acquainted with your new bike in a day than you would in three months on the street.

In my experience, this is the fastest, most effective, and safest way to rebuild confidence.
jfgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 09:02 PM   #10
Hipshot
Registered Member

It ain't necessary to crash to get a little squemish. I fell off the ladder when I was powerwashing the eves of my house, broke my left arm. Ow! that hurt. So, I was off my ride for about a month until I could stand to reach the handlebars and squeeze the clutch lever at the same time. Yeah, I was a little nervous when I got back at it, but you get over it pretty quick. One really good ride will do 'er.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote