Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-15-2003, 06:54 AM   #31
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: After a Crash

And if you see a Volvo pulling a trailer, get off the road completely, and come to a full stop.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2003, 07:56 AM   #32
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Yes, you can do a Track Day on just about any bike that isn't dropping fluids onto the track. (Please, no Harley cracks from the MOrons). Full Dress Tourers, Choppers and Boss Hoss' have been seen at track days, so a good ST will be no problem. During MO's 2003 Sport Tour, I took our Triumph Sprint ST to a trackday and had a blast.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:00 AM   #33
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

So if he stays away from Potheads and Junkies, he should be fine?
Old 10-15-2003, 08:01 AM   #34
Hadji
Founding Member

Default How about a Dual-Sport?

How about trying something that can take you to places w/o cars? Like the KTM 950 Adventure? It could give you all that our ST1100 had to offer plus the ablility to go off-road. Maybe you will be able to find "roads" that you don't have to share w/cars. Just a thought.

Singles and Twins Forever!!
Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 08:32 AM   #35
vigorito
Founding Member

2Wheeler, thank you for the suggestion about

strengthening the shoulder. I plan to start doing something about it right away.
vigorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 09:36 AM   #36
pushrod
Founding Member

Default Re: How about a Dual-Sport?

Yeah, but unless he is an NBA player, he'll need a stepstool to get on and off the KTM. That seat is WAY up there!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 09:58 AM   #37
seruzawa
The Toad

Works for me.

Certainly it's much better than seeking out the company of potheads and junkies.

Now if we could just eliminate cell phones and make-up on the road we'd be sailing free.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:14 AM   #38
Haird
Founding Member

Default Re: SemiSportbikes with ABS...

And then there's the BMW R1100S, if that qualifies as a sport bike.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 10:31 AM   #39
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: How about a Dual-Sport?

The 950 adventure is absoloutely awesome, but it won't offer everything the ST 1100 did. It is proportioned like a dirt-bike, this means that the seat is tall and narrow. The ergoes work well off-road and in canyons, but on a long-straight highway drone, the 950 seat will quickly have a touring rider wishing he was back on an ST 1100.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:32 AM   #40
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default LIMEDUST, you've sure got a lot of good ideas so far.

As a fellow ST11 rider I know the awful feeling of having the beaST break loose. Fortunately for me, my worst was on dirt so we low sided and bike and I just slid to a stop with only minor plastic breakage on the bike and a few scrapes on the helmet. We got back up and went on with a more respectful attitude of the bikes bulk and of my own limitations. If you were in OKC I'd let you take my '98 for a spin just to get you back in the saddle. That has always helped me put the nightmares away and better evaluate myself.

When my Wife had her hard (and expensive) low side after overcooking a decreasing radius right-hander on her V-Star 1100 she had to get back on the bike. We were on a curvy back road in the middle of podunk OK and we had to get both her and the bike home. After doctoring her scrapes (road rash, torn jeans and other minor injuries) we pulled the right crashbar (installed two weeks earlier) off because it was pushed up into the rear break peddle. Once the rear wheel could move again we pulled all the broken pieces off and put them in my side case, straightened out the front forks, cleared the loose asphalt off her full face QuantumÂ’s chin bar and face shield and headed the 85 miles home.

She was shaken for sure. It took her almost two years to be comfortable going into turns again but she kept at it. Many might ask, why? Why would someone do something that caused such apprehension? The reason is in the answer from many who've already posted. She found she loved riding her own bike so much that any anxiety she felt was something she would have to overcome.

This happened to her early in her riding life and she has recognized what many had been telling her; riding is a constant learning activity that continues for as long as you ride.

Whatever you decide it sounds like you did everything right but there is always something to learn from a crash. The only way I know to learn it is to get back on the bike and find out what it is.

TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote