Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-14-2003, 08:03 PM   #11
Hipshot
Registered Member

Default Re: After a Crash

It ain't necessary to crash to get a little squemish. I fell off the ladder when I was powerwashing the eves of my house, broke my left arm. Ow! that hurt. So, I was off my ride for about a month until I could stand to reach the handlebars and squeeze the clutch lever at the same time. Yeah, I was a little nervous when I got back at it, but you get over it pretty quick. One really good ride will do 'er.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2003, 08:12 PM   #12
sqidbait
Founding Member

Yeah. I know that it's an admission of failure to say so[1], but ABS is very useful.

My car is a 2000, and I bought it without ABS. I didn't need it, right? Well, I've had two close calls that have made me think otherwise. All it takes is sliding sideways down a slippery highway in the winter to make one a believer. My next cage *will* have ABS.

The sad thing is that we really don't have a lot of choices for ABS for bikes. Has there ever been a sportbike that had this as an option?

-- Michael

[1] REAL men don't need ABS, right?
sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 09:12 PM   #13
wrecks
Founding Member

I'm supposed to hate the combined brakes on my 2000 vfr, but I know damn well they have saved my a$$ more than once. No matter how stupid I brake they never lock up. I will miss them on my next bike.
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 12:40 AM   #14
2wheeler
Founding Member

I have dislocated my shoulder several times now. Once it has gone out the first time, it gets weaker. In fact, every time it comes out, it gets weaker.

I am now embarking on a program of rehabilitation for my shoulder having had the situation explained to me by one of my taiji teachers and my brother in law, who is training as a physiotherapist.

You should try to see a physiotherapist and work out a program to protect the shoulder as much as possible with stronger muscles.

One problem is that when it is still painful you mustn't do too much training but when it doesn't hurt any more you lose the motivation to do the training. But that's exactly the time you should really start working with your shoulder. I wish I had known more about this earlier, as I think I could have prevented some of the dislocations I have had.

Good luck and remember that your health is more important than your bike riding.

But riding a bike is a lot of fun!

2W
2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 01:37 AM   #15
Lowrez
Founding Member

Check to see if your local MSF has a short class for experienced riders. I attended one with a friend of mine after she had a nasty crash (the old helmet is now used as a demonstration of what could happen to your face). Anyway, after a day of riding on the range, she was as good as new. Didn't hurt my riding either.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 02:36 AM   #16
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Time heals all wounds. I have injured myself on motorcycles in the past many times, and after a while you will forget. Take your time and come back slowly. If it doesn't feel right, you will know. How you handle that first crash determines how long you will be in this sport.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:43 AM   #17
LIMEDUST
Registered Member

An After Action Review, eh? Yeah, thats a good way to think about it. Unfortunately, it seems the reviews always come about the time you want to go to sleep! But if thats all I really have to complain about, then I'm very lucky.

You asked about my gear. Thankfully it was a chilly morning, so I had another couple of layers on underneath my riding gear which probably helped reduce some bruising. But I had on a full face HJC helmet, a Joe Rocket jacket, and Harley Leather boots and thick denim jeans. Evrything looks pretty bad now of course, except suprisingly the jeans! Bizarre. How lucky am I?

Its funny, a few weeks before I was thinking about getting an open face helmet as I was getting really hot wearing the full face. If I'd been wearing that, I'd have no chin and no teeth. The helmet I was wearing had scratches all over the front, side and face shield. I guess you can't be too careful. Thanks for the reply.
LIMEDUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 02:45 AM   #18
southwindphoto
Registered Member

Default change of pace

I am sure you are now well aware of this popular saying

"ItÂ’s not a matter of if you will go down; itÂ’s a matter of how hard you will go down"

For me it was a number of years ago, that I messed up my Suz 600 and crushed four vertebrates in my back

Traction and having to ware a back brace kept me off a bike for many months and ultimately I did not ride again for a number of years.

But, the bug to feel the wind in my face finally won out, and I purchased another bike.

This time instead of a sport bike, I purchased a Harley Softtail Heritage classic.

While any bike is just as likely to go down as the next, I feel less likely to speed on this bike, (itÂ’s slow anyway) and instead I am happy with enjoying the ride. If you no longer feel the "need for speed", you might consider buying a cruiser.

Like kowalke67 said, it sounds like you had some pretty good body gear. What did you have on?

Member of
Florida Outdoors Writers Association
Harley Owners Group
southwindphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 02:48 AM   #19
LIMEDUST
Registered Member

Thanks for your reply. I think I'll probably end up getting another bike. I'm sure thats why I asked you guys and not non-riders! The insurance company said they'd they would pay the tax on any bike purchase I make in the next 60 days, which is a nice incentive to go buy one relatively soon. Not sure if I will or not. Living in Michigan though, its going to be tough to ride to the mountains, but I get your message. Go somewhere nice and quiet and chill out for a while and have some good riding. Sounds good.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:56 AM   #20
LIMEDUST
Registered Member

No ABS. I have also thought about adding that option to the next bike if I get one. I'd had a near spill about 6 months ago in the wet, a guuy pulled out in front of me and stopped! I braked hard, but I grabbed them instead of squeezing and the front locked but I just eased off and it regained traction. Lucky then as well. I practiced a few high speed stops in a big parking lot, felt pretty good, never really worried about it again until now. I liked the ST1100 alot but I probably won't get another, not right now anyway. I was looking at the BMW R1100RT and Kawasaki Concours. I'll have to buy another used bike, funds won't permit a new one (especially after the loss on the ST). The BMW has ABS but costs $10000 for a 98! I don't have that much, so I'll probably end up with a Concours and alot of space between me and everyone else! Thanks for your reply.