Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 09-23-2003, 01:23 PM   #11
James_Brown
Registered Member

Default Re: Radar detectors

The Passport 8500 and Bel 985 give you 99% of the Velentine One's effectiveness at about 75% of the price. Who cares what direction the radar is coming from? Distance is all that matters.
James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2003, 01:23 PM   #12
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

I've had great luck with a Bel 945i (now the 946). Well over 100k miles and only a single (radar) ticket. It's durable, has great battery life, performs as advertised and is very inexpensive.

One caution: the flimsy supplied mount is terrible and should not be used. I tried the mount for the first time a few weeks ago and it broke - resulting in the loss of my faithful detector under the wheels of oncoming traffic in Logan Canyon.

sbp

sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 01:31 PM   #13
James_Brown
Registered Member

Excellent point. Laser is evil. I have read that it is difficult to 'tag' motorcycles as the headlight is the only part of the front of most bikes which is reflective enough to get a reading. Generally, if you are close enough to the officer where he can get a good bead on your headlight, you should be close enough to spot him first. Alertness is your best defense with laser. Flat black paint might help too.
James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 02:22 PM   #14
sarnali
Founding Member

The best radar detector I've found is my two eyeballs coupled with enough common sense to not race around like a fool

Works on laser or X band or what ever, it even works when officer friendly has his radar off. You should try it sometimes, just pay attention to whats in front of you and ride at a speed appropriate for the conditions.

If you do get pulled over, be polite, admit you were getting a little carried away and say you won't do it again, chances are you'll get a warning.

Even if you do get a ticket it's still cheaper than $400~$500 bucks for a detector, unless you're riding like a complete ass, then you deserve what you get( I think thats called "an old school attitude" )
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 02:27 PM   #15
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Because sometimes cops set up in groups of two or three. The V1 counts the number of radars as well as direction.

You might pass one and think you're free and clear and get nailed by the second or third one.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 03:29 PM   #16
suzique_1
Founding Member

Hey , W4life, Que pasa? Just read your comment on radar detectors and got interested. my wife & I each have an 1800 and we badly need a microwave ****. What does your mount look like and where did youy get it?Where did you mount it? Does it allow quick removal? Can you read the directional arrows easily? Can you differentiate beween bands easily? Gracias. We are also wingers for life!

Suzique _ 1
suzique_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 07:42 PM   #17
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You're no fun any more.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 08:48 PM   #18
veepster
Registered Member

Good info SuperBill, but I remember New York only prohibits detectors in vehicles over 9 tons. (commercial) At least that's what the signs at the borders say.

Ride Safe, veepster
veepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 03:26 AM   #19
frasertri
Founding Member

Hmmmmm, Chris - I see that you use the H.A.R.D. system - I am currently trying the second unit myself, and both have consumed batteries at an unacceptable rate!! The concept is brilliant, but there seems to be a 'current leakage' issue with the 2 units I have tried... A set of batteries seem to last only about 6 hours of riding time, or they are being constantly drained whilst not in use. I'm wondering whether to try one more unit or get my money back... Not a cheap unit at $160, but worth it for sure if it works!!
frasertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 04:26 AM   #20
Winger4Life
Founding Member

I lock it in the right side compartment on the Wing
Winger4Life is offline   Reply With Quote