Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   Trackday help (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/2089-trackday-help.html)

Gabe 09-03-2003 04:03 PM

Tired Tyres

How you could get on a track with heavily worn BT-010's (not the best track tire!) speaks to the negligence of the track day organizer. 10,000 km! Sweet Suffering Jesus! I know Canadians are looney, but jeez! Was there any kind of tech inspection? A trackday organizer here would never let a "pretty worn" tire out on the track.

I put a set of 010's on my F2 and was slipping a bit by the end of a 180 mile track day. You must ride extremely conservatively to get that kind of milage out of BT-010's on an FZR1000! It's unbelievable. My SV650 chewed up BT-010's after 2200 miles!

My guess is overinflation. I know you can get crazy milage out of tires by pumping them up to 38-45 psi. On the track you are asking for it if you leave the pressures that high, though.

Buy a set of spare wheels and mount up some slicks for your next track day and then carry on with your campaign to use the same set of tires for two presidential administrations on the street.

Holy_Kaw 09-03-2003 05:12 PM

Re: Trackday help

Brian, having spent the last 4 winters in Alaska I have to give a lot of weight to D. "Fall Fever", pun intended. Seriously, I can understand the sense of urgency caused by this phenomena. I'm doing a South Florida winter this year and hope not to be so afflicted. Don't be too hard on yourself, I remember the "Oldtimers" saying "Boy, I got more miles sliding on my ass than you've got riding". Sounds like you're on your way to being an "Oldtimer". VIVA CANADA!

s/cBrian_3 09-04-2003 10:27 AM

Guys, Thanks a lot for all your moral and informational support.. To clarify things a bit I had been on the track a couple of times before but it was my second trackday this year and at this track. I have a fair number of street miles under my belt and some ancient m/x eperience. I thought I would be able to detect a front wheel slide sometime before disaster hit but not this time. The whole thing happened literally in a fraction of a second. The track had been clean and free of debris and it was early in a perfect sunny, 24C day. When I eventually got up and looked back at the track all I saw was a skid mark of about 20 feet. As for speed, I was close to redline in third gear so we can figure it must have been close to the ton. I'm not sure about both of the other crashers but I know one went down on turn one which is at the beginning of the main straight. The 80%/20% breakdown makes sense to me. The whole bike including tires was teched before the ride and I made a point of asking the organizer if he felt the tires looked ok. He confirmed so but only after a cursory inspection. I had naively been running at close to 40PSI prior to this day because thats what is indicated for the street. I reduced the pressure to 30PSI but I guess it was not enough to counteract the other factors. There were a couple of riders in my group that were pulling away from me and I guess on some unconscious level it induced me to push things too hard too soon. In hindsight I shouda started out with the slowest group

kawazuki 09-04-2003 12:01 PM

Re: Vulcanized Rubber

Ow. I just laughed a piece of macaroni through my left nostril.

-Kawazuki

s/cBrian_3 09-04-2003 12:02 PM

nesba que pas?

Never heard of it.

clively 09-04-2003 04:39 PM

I know I've been riding around enjoying the day, smelling the air, and seeing the sights (getting complacent). When something happens, BOOM, you pop your front brake, it locks, and you are on your arse. It happened once and no more complacency for me. I've seen it happen several times since, and only once did I hear the tire chirp before spilling the bike, leaving the rider dazed as to what happened. I dont know about tire compounds & heat but make sure you dont get complacent. I've seen people usually get in trouble when they start feeling a little to comfortable.

grubz916 09-05-2003 02:11 AM

North East SportBike Assoc.