Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 08-25-2003, 11:49 AM   #1
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Rookie Geezer Seeks Advice on Getting Back in the Saddle

Steal one. Ride it around and drop it off before the owner knows it is missing.

According to Mr Crabs, it's not stealing if you give it back before it is missed!

Spongebob
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2003, 11:51 AM   #2
PeterH
Founding Member

You should give us something to go on. How much did you ride before encountering the VW bus? What type of riding do you want to do now? Blast through canyons/ride long distances/commute/travel two up? How much do you want to pay? Hold off on fully faired bikes till you have another year or so under your belt. Ideal new entry level bikes are the SV650, Ducati M620e, and my current favorite the Moto Guzzi Breva ( the miata of motorcycles) they all are upright riding positions like your old CB and run $6000-7500.
PeterH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 12:08 PM   #3
Chango
Founding Member

Obviously you should be looking for an old VFR, an SV650, or a Concourse.

Seriously, I would look for a 600 cc standard for a re-entry bike. They don't have the ridiculous powerband (or lack thereof) of the newest 600's, they won't have as much plastic to replace when you drop it, and they are more comfortable than the newest bikes also.

Of course, if you're looking for a cruiser type bike, you might like one of the middle weight Japanese cruisers like the Yamaha Virago 650, or similar. The smaller ones are just that - smaller, lighter, less traumatic when you drop them the first time, etc...

In closing, I recommend a 600 cc standard or older model sporty bike (Suzuki SV650, Suzuki Bandit, Kawasaki ZZR-600, Yamaha YZF600R, etc) if you're looking for something sporty-ish. Plus, a standard will give you the opportunity to decide what type of bike you really want. (Sport bikes look neat, but they aren't what everyone really wants deep down inside.) Or a small displacement cruiser (Yamaha Virago 650, Kawasaki Vulcan 500) if that's the kind of riding you want to do. No matter what you do, enjoy the ride.

"Remember, it's always easier to do things the hard way." Chango
Old 08-25-2003, 12:10 PM   #4
JM_1
Founding Member

Suzuki's SV 650 is the only answer....got plenty of everything to bring a "geezer" back into it and then keep you interested for a long time. They're plenty fast but very easy to use, handle great, stop well, are reliable, and used ones can be purchased very reasonable. Try one, you'll like it. Most dealers will let you test ride used units if you have a current M/C license. I've had one for 3-4 years,(20,000miles) along with several other newer/larger bikes, been riding since 1965, and the SV is still the favorite.
JM_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 12:16 PM   #5
ducatirdr
Founding Member

Hmmm first you have to ask yourself, Do I want a cruiser, sportbike, Dual purpose, adventure tour, sport tour, touring bike, race replica, scooter, Boss Hoss - Aprilia RS50?

Is this a great time to live or what?
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 12:44 PM   #6
derekb
Founding Member

The Triumph shop down the road from me (Back Roads Triumph Jacksonville NC) has a great demo plan. They have let me try out many new and used bikes. All you have to have is a Motorcycle endorsement on your license.

I am riding a 96 Nighthawk right now. It is very vanilla and very easy to get along with. The new Bonniville is very nice. The Breva turns me on too though I have not ridden one.

I hope it goes well for you. Good luck.
derekb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 01:05 PM   #7
nweaver
Founding Member

Default MSF Class...

Take the standard rookie advice: take the MSF class, get a reasonable first bike (EG, Ninja 250, Ninja 500, maby an SV650 if you have a well disciplined right wrist, good safetly gear etc).

You're skills are rusty enough that terating it as a learn-from-scratch, you will be better.

ObCruisersSuck, they handle like pigs, get a standard or faired standard or large dirtbike or something.
nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 01:06 PM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

It is coming upon the best time of year for a used bike. Look for a Suzuki GS500. A nice upright position, excellent handling and brakes. Quite suffiicient power for freeways. Get your skills back up and then decide whether you want a more sporty bike, or a cruiser or maybe anothe naked street bike. Or you just might like the GS500.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:37 PM   #9
josephblow
Founding Member

I stopped riding a few years before you did, although luckily not for the same reasons. When I decided to get back into riding in 1997, I took the MSF beginner's course and I'm convinced it was the smart thing to do. I've since gone through a couple of Hondas and now ride a BMW R1100RT. Take the MSF course, please! As far as test rides are concerned, some (not many) Honda dealers will let you test ride a cruiser or two and they had a special GoldWing demo deal going a few months ago. Most BMW dealers will let you ride any model they have available if they think you are a serious buyer. I test-rode my RT three times before I bought it.
josephblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 01:59 PM   #10
mcjunkie
Founding Member

Get something you like that's cheap. Doesn't really matter as long as it suits you, you'll know when you see it. Don't scrimp on a good jacket, boots, and helmet to go with the bike. You may decide later to upgrade to newer/better bike (or not) but either way you'll have the gear which is key.
mcjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote