Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 08-26-2003, 09:34 AM   #21
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Re: Rookie Geezer Seeks Advice on Getting Back in the Saddle

Do vast amounts of research, test ride a slew of different bikes, then go buy an SV650.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2003, 09:38 AM   #22
acecycleins
Founding Member

Here's the advise you are seeking. Go to ANY bike shop talk directly with the F&I or Sales Mgr tell them you will lay down a reasonable deposit and sign a sales contract on the bike of your choice, but if that bike was not what you are looking for they will have to return your money (and tear up that contract) or find a model you may be interested in. I would locate a multi-line dealer and start with mid-size cruisers (Suz. Volusia or Honda Shadow 750). I prefer Yamaha products because the service intervals are usually further apart than most other bikes (so a v-start 650 is great). If money is not really an issue try the BMW R1150R it's a standard in the insurance world and won't kill you in price (sub 10K). If your style leans toward sportiness without getting crazy look at the SV650. Arressive without being stupid. There's tons more to help you with but e-mail me and I'll ask you some questions that might help you narrow it down. I'm in the insurance business and you never know if I may be helping your situation without asking. Thanks and good luck.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:01 PM   #23
sloemoe
Founding Member

I have been out of the motorcycling game for 10 years (my jacket/helmet/gloves had to be replaced, I know, I know eat a salad once in a while, but the boots still fit!). I had a 90 suzuki katana 750 and a 93 honda cbr 600 f2. I got a Suzuki sv 650 last friday and am pleased as punch (except that my temp tag got stolen already). It's not much of a superslab cruiser (over 65 it's tough without a fairing) but on city and backroads it rocks. I was worried because of my heft (5'8 220 ) that I would miss 90 hp. Not the case. Even keeping it under 6k rpm (I know 5k is supposed to be the limit until the first service.) this bike hauled my portly butt with gusto. I am really stunned. The breaks are great despite what some of the sport riders say. I will probably take the MSF course agian just to re-learn what I have forgotten, but the bike is unbelievable.
sloemoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 01:06 PM   #24
ecclesd
Registered Member

Geez!

Get yourself down to a Honda emporium posthaste --

Get yourself back on a CB immediately!

The "NEW" CB750 Nighthawk will make even your rosy-hued memories seem faint.

Enough power to keep you ahead of the CROOZER-barges and enough comfort to travel all day if need be...

Get a few miles under the rubber and maybe trade on up to a VFR or XX 'bird if you like.

But, one thing for SURE! the CB (or any HONDA, for that matter) will be user-friendly and RELIABLE as the day is long!

Bank on it!

Denny - '93 VFR, '96 XR-L, '99 CR-v, '01 RANCHER, '03 ACCORD.

Not a loser in the bunch!!!
ecclesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 10:28 AM   #25
brown9690
Registered Member

I'd get the Yamaha FZ-1 big, comfy, straight up riding postion, plenty of power, but easy to ride slow
brown9690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 04:28 PM   #26
Cheapskate
Founding Member

I never got out of motorcycling, but I was stuck in 1979. Back then, I had bought a brand new GS 1000 and modified the engine, brakes, and suspension. I was very happy with it until I rented a CBR 600 in Hawaii. With 13,000 RPM, I was stopping at yellow lights just so I could accelerate through the gears. I just bought a 1990 CBR 1000, so I'm still in the 20th Century, but you can hardly go wrong buying a good, used bike from the 1990's.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 12:05 PM   #27
LimaxMaximus
Founding Member

Thanx for the reply. I rode from coast to coast and from border to border with a bud on Honda Super Hawks (all of 26 hp, screaming at 9000 rpm, as I recall) with a duffel on the luggage rack, camping between the bikes under a tarp. I was all of 21 then, though, and I don't expect my wife (who has an inner ear problem that makes her unenthusiastic about g-forces) would want to accompany me on cross-country tours.

I'm thinking strictly sunny day recreational rides to the Rock Store, or along the beach and the like.
LimaxMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 12:12 PM   #28
LimaxMaximus
Founding Member

Thanx for the reply. Pardon my ignorance, but what sort of bike is that? Is it a four? I saw a Suzuki this afternoon that looked like a knock-off of a 60's Triumph twin. I have a prejudice against a bike that tries to look like something else (imitation Harley V-twins, etc.) when you could get the real thing.

Stu
Old 09-03-2003, 12:18 PM   #29
LimaxMaximus
Founding Member

Thanks for taking the time for a thoughtful reply. As I said to a previous poster, I have a prejudice against bikes that pretend to be something else, when you could get a real one.

Once again pardon my ignorance of the jargon, but when you say "standard" I assume you mean a bike with no body work and an upright riding position.

That's probably good advice, if I can set aside my ego and follow it. I am seduced by the style of sport bikes, but not being able to test ride one makes me nervous about the riding position.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:20 PM   #30
LimaxMaximus
Founding Member

Yeah! Trouble is, without riding one or two of each, how the h*** do I know which I like better? Choice is a bear, ain't it?

Stu