Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 08-09-2003, 05:08 PM   #1
Brent_Meeker
Founding Member

Default Re: Looking for an 'interesting' daily-rider

My approach is to buy what I think will be fun to ride and them modify it as necessary for commuting. For the seven years I've commuted on a GSXR-750. I put on some adjustable bars and raised them as far as possible without cutting the fairing (about 1" above stock); I welded up a bracket that bolts in place of the passenger grap handle and mounted a tail trunk (from J.C. Whitney); I mounted mirrors from a Katana (so I can see something beside my elbows). It's an 'interesting' commuter and I've ridden it on some 400mile trips. Now I commute on an Aprilia RS250 - also with tail trunk.
Brent_Meeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2003, 05:46 PM   #2
Vlad
Registered Member

Price range is critical here, so I will suggest some bikes. Obviously the SV650 is everywhere, so i will leave it off the list.

Ducati Monster, any size.

Honda SuperHawk

Suzuki SV1000s

BMW R1200

Best choice for an all around street bike - Honda VFR

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 06:08 PM   #3
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Sounds like you want power and handling as a priority but your ready for some size and comfort.

Sounds like your ready for a FJR1300. You will not need any softbags. Better comfort and you will not be lacking performance.
Old 08-09-2003, 06:37 PM   #4
Benji155
Founding Member

Buy the Daytona. Attach some hiway pegs. Fasten some rope to each of the clip-ons and viola!!! Sport-cruiser your way to motorcycling bliss!!!
Benji155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 07:10 PM   #5
maynard
Founding Member

Two words DUCATI MULTISTRADA
maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 07:16 PM   #6
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Capo Nord

The Giant Trailies have decent wind protection, lots of power, high bars, comfort, good handling. They don't have the outright power of the supersports, but street handling is very good.

Not only that, the Capo Nord is CHEAP, Scuderia in SF has one sitting on the floor, a new 2002 model, for $8k + tax & nuisance fees. You can even get hard bags if you want.
nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 10:41 PM   #7
Betamax
Founding Member

I'd suggest an SV, a VFR, or a Connie.

(It had to be done.)

Can a sportbike be turned into a commuter? Depends on how well you fit the bike. Your mileage will vary.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 03:04 AM   #8
JALacroix
Founding Member

Guys, lots of good suggestions...but he pretty much says that he wants a european bike. In which case I say the Falco would be a good bike to look at. I almost bought one recently myself, but got such a good deal on a SuperHawk that I couldn't pass it up. Now might even be the time for a sport-tourer, in which case the Futura is really nice. The Ducati Multistrada wa also a good idea, though the syling is polarizing to say the least. However, it looks to be somewhat lacking in wind protection.

Frankly, the Triumphs just don't do it for me. The last generation Daytona was pretty nice looking but the new one definitely is not (IMHO of course). They need some styling help across their sportbike range.

I'm sure you'll find something that does it for you.
JALacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 04:04 AM   #9
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re:Euro-tourer

How about a Sprint ST ? hard bags and top trunk are available and windshield and bars can modified to suit any style.

Or if you just want a change an ST4, or ST2 if you can find one would be fun.

I've got an '02 Trophy that I'm very happy with. My riding is similar to yours IE; mostly commuting @ 80~90 for an hour each way, with as much daily dinking around as I can squeeze in.

The Trophy is perfect for that.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 05:21 AM   #10
Fugaziiv
Founding Member

Welllllllll......

I would have to also point to the big trailies.

Suzuki V-Strom, Ducati Multistrada and such. Comfortable bikes with good power, lots of ground clearance in the corners, a general do it all kind of motorcycle.

That is unless you pick up a Suzuki SV1kS. (hint, hint)

Fugaziiv is offline   Reply With Quote