Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 08-11-2003, 02:55 PM   #51
Woody650
Founding Member

Default Re: Looking for an 'interesting' daily-rider

Guzzis certainly aren't for everyone, but I love my V11 Sport. Without a doubt it's no race replica, but it is a very satisfying sporty bike.

Sure, it takes some effort to turn and doesn't make a lot of top-end power. But it's comfortable, has a ton of torque, that fantastic Guzzi bark and drop dead gorgeous Italian style. It will run forever and requires very little maintenance (shaft drive=no chain to clean).

I rarely see other Guzzis on the road and it always draws a little crowd when parked (though that's a novelty that gets old fast).

That said, I wouldn't recommend it as one's only bike/daily rider. The suspension needs tuning to be comfortable over rough roads, there's quite a bit of driveline lash, no wind protection to speak of, and the pegs too high/seat too thin for long hours in the saddle. The vibrations the V11 Sport is notorious for are over-stated: they die down as the engine breaks in and are less irritating than the high frequency buzz of many I4 bikes.

But for an entertaing romp through the hills at a 7/10ths pace, I really enjoy the viceral thrills the Guzzi provides...

To each his own!
Woody650 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2003, 03:52 PM   #52
pushrod
Founding Member

Go for the Sprint ST. As mentioned above, it is heavily discounted, and they are throwing in a set of hard bags (installation not included, and it is a b1tch). AND, if you are military, you get an additional $1000 off, AND, w.a.c., you can get 3.9% for 48 months!

And that's not all! The motor, revised in '02, is more better.

'Course, I just bought a new Silver '03 in Chattanooga to replace my Y2K ST ($8600, with bags and gel seat and T&T), so I'm prejudiced. I use mine for everything; commutes, road trips, etc. Get a double bubble windscreen and the gel seat and you are outta here!

Just make sure you get a license tag bracket with the purchase. Triumph doesn't sell the ST or the Tiger with tag brackets. God knows why. I had to fab my own.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 05:07 PM   #53
jsimpson
Founding Member

I sold my R1100RT and kept my Excelsior Henderson. The Beemer did everything so effortlessly that it made me careless. I like a bike to warn me alittle when I'm going to fast!
Old 08-11-2003, 05:36 PM   #54
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Trophy

No long trips yet, A few 4~5 hour rides and lots of local 1 or 2 hour rides.

I've got the Triumph top box w/pad on mine and my wife says it's very comfortable for her. The seat is a butt-burner for me, and I plan on having it repaded and re covered in leather as soon as I can, but overall I'm very happy with the bike's performance and handling,

if you want a minimalist tourer it's right up there with Ducati, plus you don't have $800 service bills.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 05:38 PM   #55
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: D.W.A.

There's always the risk of getting pulled over for Driving While Asian
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 06:56 PM   #56
HarryMyhre
Founding Member

A quick scan revealed only one vote for the Kawasaki Concours. The Connie has to be one of the best values on the market. For me it would be either the Suzuki V-Strom or the Connie.
HarryMyhre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 09:55 PM   #57
zelatore
Registered Member

Default so many bikes to choose from

You MO's are all-right. That's exactly the kind of stuff I was wanting to hear.

Some comments: The big trailies just don't 'do it' for me, so I'm leaving them out.

I'd really do well with something like the Futura or FJ1300, but as I'm planning on getting a dedicated sport-touring rig next year anyway (those two as well as the ZZR are top of the current list) I'm planning to keep the 'daily' bike a bit more sport oriented.

Oh, and the Speed Triple? LOVE IT, but the lack of wind protection is going to kill me coming across the San Mateo Bridge into the evening 25 mph headwind.

Moto Italiano, my local dealer (pusher?) for the Italians unfortunatly doesn't have a Falco around for demo.

However, there are a few '02 Daytonas sitting around at low, low bargin prices. Even though I was really planning to try something other than a Triumph this time, the wail of that 3 cyl. is the best sound I know - looks like I'm gettin' me a Daytona, then making a couple calls for risers and a windscreen (oh yeah, and my beloved heated grips!)

-Zelatore, who should have a new toy by the end of the week!
zelatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 03:43 AM   #58
redlmtt
Founding Member

The bodily function for which you search likely resembles the Futura exhaust note.

Pre VTEC VFRs have a great sound. Guzzis are truly unique these days, and are a lot more fun than the BMWs I've ridden.
redlmtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 05:33 PM   #59
s_blackwelder
Founding Member

Newbie question: Who's KTM?
s_blackwelder is offline   Reply With Quote