Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 08-11-2003, 06:36 AM   #41
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Default Re: Looking for an 'interesting' daily-rider

Yep, Well I own a Connie and while it is a great bike for doing just about anything I think from his post that he would want more power(newer sport touring) that's why I suggested the FJR 1300. No wanting for power there!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2003, 06:52 AM   #42
Intersport
Founding Member

Everyone is suggesting large displacement, relatively high horsepower bikes (other than the SV650)...might I suggest a KTM Duke II? I commute on one regularly, and it never fails to bring a smile to my face, starting my workday in a good mood. I'm faced with heavy freeway traffic, so the Duke's 100 mph top speed is more than adequate, and it's ultimately flickable, awesome for splitting lanes (if you live in California) and generally dicing thru traffic. Can't argue with 50 mpg, either. Mine has 14K miles on it and has never broken.
Intersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 07:18 AM   #43
SRMark
Founding Member

Forget the Daytona, get the Speed Triple and pray someone makes a good windscreen. I'd also consider a Honda ST1100 but it can get a little toasty in your region of the country. Forget the ST1300 for the same, only much worse, reason. Hows about a Ducati ST? or a Yamah FJ1300? Any of the big adventure tourers will do ya' proud too. But my strongest recommendation would be the BMW R1150R. It'll do everything you want and be easy on the bank account too. Add accessories to your liking and have fun.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 07:43 AM   #44
nweaver
Founding Member

Default As I mentioned

The origional is in the SF bay area, where Scuderia has a 2002 Capo Nord, new, on the showroom floor, for $8k + tax/fees. If you want a street-oriented giant-trailie, I don't think that bike can be beat for the price!

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 08:46 AM   #45
ikonoklass
Founding Member

Speed Triple is a lot of fun, but it ain't the bike you want for commuting. At 90 MPH, you'll blow right off the thing. Consider the Sprint ST. Heavily discounted, way better wind protection than your RS, and available hard bags. Add Gen-Mar bar risers and a Zero Gravity screen (kills the buffeting). On the other hand, I realize that life is too short for brand loyalty...
Old 08-11-2003, 09:31 AM   #46
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Yep.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 10:03 AM   #47
Alaskan18724
Founding Member

Just curious--How steeply are you seeing? I'm a right-coast type these days.
Alaskan18724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 10:04 AM   #48
docflash
Registered Member

i've ridden a fair number of bikes, and have settled on a bmw r1100rs as my daily ride. i commute on it from san francisco to marin (about 40 miles RT) including some freeway and some city streets.

it provides excellent wind protection up to about 135 mph, and handles very well. (note: i have ohlins F & R). it has more than adequate power, and plenty of adjustability: there are 3 seat heights, the handbrips can be adjusted for position and angle, and the windscreen can be adjusted "on the fly" from almost upright to pretty flat. (note: the newer r1150rs doesn't have the seat adjustability, i believe).

the 4-valve twin gives plenty of torque: more so with the R1100GS intake tubes i put in.

the only thing i'd change about the bike is that with a total width across the mirrors of 34 inches, splitting lanes in the tunnel at the top of the waldo grade is more challenging than i'd like; so is filtering thru stopped traffic at a stoplite.

many bmw dealers allow leisurely test rides (which i'm discovering is not the norm for some other dealers). cal bmw in particular, and marin bmw are especially friendly.

try it: you might like it.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:55 AM   #49
Vlad
Registered Member

Default VFR underpowered?

Gee, my VFR will get to 125 without breathing hard, and that's two up with a load of luggage. Is that underpowered in your book? Actually the horsepower of the VFR is about the same as the V-twins you're recommending. Though, I admit, they have more torque and more horsepower low in the range than the V Four. So the V-twins may be a better choice for commuting. I do agree that you should go for the Ducati Multistrada if a few thousand more in price and maintenance are not an obstacle. Then there's the SV1000 if price is a consideration. Now if stone cold reliability is a matter of concern, go with the VFR or the Honda Super Hawk. (Make sure you don't get a VFR that needs and hasn't had the stator fix.) The Ducati should be plenty reliable, as long as its properly maintained. And any of the Ducati STs are great.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 01:00 PM   #50
Pruniea
Founding Member

I would go for the Daytona! Throw on some Heli bars or 9 degree bars from Skyking.com and a double bubble windscreen. Maybe some luggage or a tank bag and a Corbin seat and you're touring.
Pruniea is offline   Reply With Quote