Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 07-21-2003, 02:55 PM   #1
Benji155
Founding Member

Default Re: Advice needed: 95 Kawi Concours vs. 85 BMW K100 RS

Personally, I would never buy a used bike with more than 10k on the clock. I'd rather spend a little more and get a nearly new bike. But, if these two bikes were my only options I would probably go with the Kawi. Despite mileage being somewhat equal, the Kwack is 10 years newer and is cheaper. Of course to me, this decision is like trying to decide which pile of crap smells better. But hey, it's your money.
Benji155 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2003, 03:26 PM   #2
sarnali
Founding Member

What a coincidence, I made that decision in '86 when I bought my '85 K100RS. The Concours hasn't changed much so it's a pretty valid comparison

I put almost 60K on the RS before I sold it, with no problems. As long as the spline maintainance has been done they're pretty well bulletproof. The K-RS kick off a horrendous amount of heat, so if you live in a hot climate thats a consideration. And they're pretty buzzy at most speeds.

One nice thing about the '85 is it has the Euro-spec cams so it's a little faster then the newer 1000's, and tube bars so you cand set it up however you want it.

With the Kawi. you also get a proven bulletproof design, a dedicated (fanatical) support group, and no EFI problems to worry about. plus you can use radial tires.

After owning the BMW and seeing how the Concours has held up, I would save $1600 bucks and get the Connie if I was you. If you don't like it you could sell it for $2500 bucks all day long.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 04:04 PM   #3
Grappelli
Registered Member

Your beemer seller is asking way too much. In excelent condition this bike is worth no more than 3k. Especially now.
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 04:35 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Everyone knows that you should also compare an SV650 and a VFR(older one) to the BMW also.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:58 PM   #5
cherryriver
Founding Member

I had a Connie for 50K before the Boss demanded a Wing. Change the windshield to a Rifle and raise the bars (Storz is the best) while changing to a longer brake line. Get a less-soft saddle- my Corbin was tatty but okay. You'll get the best weather protection you can imagine and the engine really is nice if you check the counterbalancer adjustment. The other fellow is very right about adding a Givi trunk for trips. It's a big, strong bike that can handle a passenger with ease. Good traveler and no real problems. I did an 1130 day on mine once, and a bunch of eights and nines. Likes curvy roads but can do a slab-drone with the best of them. Cheap and easy to keep. I miss mine sometimes, but the ZX1100 I got since helps keep me in Kaw engine growl well enough.
cherryriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 05:21 PM   #6
DurangoKid
Founding Member

I owned an 85 K100RS and loved it. It had 40,000 miles on it when I sold it and I have little doubt that it would have gone 200k. If it were me, it would be a very easy decision.... the Beemer! When you buy a BMW you become part of a fraternity and are welcomed to any number of events and rallies. If you join the BMWMOA and decide to ride across country and find yourself in trouble, a fellow BMW club member will be sure to care for you. If you buy the Kawi... no one will give a $hit what you ride and how many other Kawi riders would you let you spend the night after an unfortunate breakdown in the middle of America. But then if you have to ask... maybe the Kawi is the correct choice for you.
DurangoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 05:28 PM   #7
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

I did 1000 in a day with the wife on the back before we were married. My hat's off to you for 1130 mile day. After 900 it's all hallucinations anyway.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 05:31 PM   #8
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Bowel Movement on Wheels. Seems that if your BMW can handle 200,000 miles then there is no need for fellow riders to put you up for the night.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 06:58 PM   #9
ikonoklass
Founding Member

If you have $4100 to spend, look around and get a much better deal. I just bought a 2000 Sprint ST for $5,500, with hard bags and all kinds of other goodies. Neither of your options is worth writing home about.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:50 PM   #10
Benji155
Founding Member

Well let's see on the one hand you have the '95 Concour and on the other hand you have the BMW, an '85 model. I had a friend who once owned an '85 V-Max. It's just like the BMW only completely different. See I think you should either go with the Kawi or the Beemer. Now look, we can't all have what we want all of the time and we can't smoke crack at work. The thing is, go with what bike moves you, whether in your bowels or makes your heart go pitter-patter. My boy, you'll soon be a man, a motorcycle is not a toy, ride well, ride safe, and may the bike you choose poo-poo, not too often. Farewell..
Benji155 is offline   Reply With Quote