Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 07-22-2003, 05:06 AM   #21
rocketorM3
Founding Member

Default Re: Advice needed: 95 Kawi Concours vs. 85 BMW K100 RS

That BMW is bullet proof. The Kawi likely. I think the what moves you statement holds. I would lean to the Kawi cause I don't like 2 bangers that much even a BMW, something about the refinement of fours I like better. So for me it would be a moves me statement plus that BMW guy needs to come down on the price.
rocketorM3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2003, 05:13 AM   #22
bbtowns
Founding Member

I ride a 99' Concours and my buddy rides a 85 K1000, so I get to compare them regularly. We rode the Alcan together, both 2 up so I can say they're both plenty reliable and plenty comfortable for touring. The Connie is the faster bike, we both agree on that, and the Connie has better weather protection, but the BMW wins on style points, and we're divided on ergonomics and handling. Like someone else said, buy the one your butt likes and puts the biggest grin on your face.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:18 AM   #23
jfiore
Registered Member

The K100 is a four, not a twin...
jfiore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 05:24 AM   #24
navion_pa1
Founding Member

My 98 R1100RT broke down twice in one trip, and the BMW people from MOA were just too busy to help. Not bad if your near home, but I was in TX and UT.

Traded the lemon BMW in for 2001 connie, and

have 50K on it, just tires and oil changes. Did the four corner's tour in May, needed one tire and no oil in 10K
navion_pa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 05:25 AM   #25
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Sure, he'll just switch on his trusty BMWMOA homing beacon with built-in decoder ring and the comissioner will send his private jet out to the middle of Wyoming to pick him up. Or, he could buy the Kawi, and a cell phone, and program in the number for AAA.

By the way, Kawasaki (and Honda, and Yamaha, and Suzuki, and Ducati, and Triumph) have owner's clubs too. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Old 07-22-2003, 06:17 AM   #26
obandoj
Founding Member

If you decide to buy the Connie, make sure you get a leak down test done on it, all of the Ninja 900 derived engines have a terrible reputation for having a soft valve train, I have personally worked on many of them with the same problem, of course the Connie owners will cry foul, but I speak from experience, good luck.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 07:14 AM   #27
Tigercub
Founding Member

10k miles is nothing. Remember in 1963 Turner's Triumphs were advertised to go 20k miles before a top-end rebuild, which by the way only takes a few weekend hours and a few bucks to complete.

I once let go of an '81 Suzuki 650 with only 48k miles on it. The motor was still like new.

I have a Norton with about 63k miles, an HD with over 71k miles and a new '02 Triumph with over 6k miles that isn't yet broken in.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 08:02 AM   #28
mcjunkie
Founding Member

You're missing out on some potential good deals for no reason. 10k is nothing even on air-cooled motors. (that have been maintained) Conversely, you can wear a motor out < 10k by racing it.
mcjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 08:05 AM   #29
ValknMag
Founding Member

***** WARNING!! Side track ahead!! *****

Do you have AAA? Have they helped you out? Alternator on my Valkyrie went to doggie heaven (sounds like it's kind of widespread, BTW), and I called AAA. I didn't have the Rec Vehicle roadside plan (extra $$$), but I told them to just send a flatbed and I'll pick up the tab. This was on a borrowed cell phone. After waiting 2 hours, I walked into town and called back. They couldn't find anyone in the county I was in to flatbed me. I pointed out that I was one county from home, and they could have sent a truck from there. 15 minute wait later, they connected me to a company and the guy refused to flatbed it unless it was wrecked. Got through it without AAA, but they don't seem to be set up to deal with bikes. Anyone else have a good or bad experience with them?
ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 08:06 AM   #30
SmokeU
Registered Member

Wow 10k?? My old bike(sold it to my brother), an '87 Shadow 1100, now has about 95,000 miles on it and it still runs great. He just rebuilt the forks and got Progressive shocks and now it rides as good as it looks/runs.