Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 07-22-2003, 01:54 AM   #11
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Advice needed: 95 Kawi Concours vs. 85 BMW K100 RS

The Concours sound like a deal, especially if it's well cared for.

I never liked the BeeEem K bikes. Didn't they blow oil if parked on the sidestand?

Plus, hop up/modification parts are cheaper for the Kawasaki.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2003, 02:20 AM   #12
SRMark
Founding Member

Most modern bikes are just getting warmed up at 10,000 if properly used. My ST1100 has needed a new shock in 40,000. It runs like a top. I would not hesitate to take it cross country. You might want to start viewing better bikes as you would a used car with the same mileage considerations. For the rest of you folks, be careful what you buy and you can save thousands and still have a very good, reliable bike. For the guy asking for input, check out the spare parts prices on both. And, the Connie can usually have the vibration adjusted out of it but the K bike is quite the vibrator. A K75 is a much better bike IMHO. And I bought my K75 with 22,000 on it and was stupid enough to sell it with 35,000. But BMW parts are not cheap (not that I needed any) and the air filter servicing just sucks!
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 02:34 AM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

The oil problem is usually unimportant since only an idiot would trust a BMW sidestand.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:54 AM   #14
redlmtt
Founding Member

For $4100, there are better buys, including Beemers.

Personally, I'd take the K100 over the Concours, and I expect the BMW would last longer based on the hi-mile ones I see. I find the early Ks to be not very pleasant, though.

A VFR would be my personal candidate. I think there's a chance of more to do come maintenance time, but it has a lot more character than either.
redlmtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 03:38 AM   #15
radlcr
Founding Member

By thinking with your head you could debate this until the end of time. Ride them both and let your heart/butt decide. Riding is something you experience by feeling, not thinking. Reguardless of the final out come you will be happier by buying the one that feels better.
radlcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 03:51 AM   #16
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Buy what you like

I personaly have put over 180k miles on my connie, the only problems where front wheel bearings(once), basic maintenance, gas tank started to get some rust in it a year or so ago (cleaned it out, patched a through spot). All in all my experience is to go with the connie. However, if you don't turn a wrench, both bikes can hurt you at the dealer/repair shop. The problem with these bikes are the age, and parts are available, but can get costly. I also owned a K75, did not like it, guess I don't posess a "fraternity" gene.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 03:51 AM   #17
SRMark
Founding Member

As a former K bike owner and current BMW lover, drop the pretentious crap. Open your eyes and see how loyal the Connie owners are. Check out their website and see what a great group of riders they are. Don't be surprised when, the next time you have trouble on the road, a Concours owner stops to help. I would never be ashamed to ride a Connie.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 03:55 AM   #18
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: Buy what you like

Also, if fraternity is important to you. The concourse owners group (COG) is a very good group of people, very helpfull, and have a pretty good web site to get info. Plus you don't see to many Connies out there, or k100s. Dang I'm cornfused again
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 04:07 AM   #19
Lowrez
Founding Member

This is my weird thinking.

The Kawi has seen ~4K miles per year. Assuming you don't live in an area with year round riding conditions, this is a bike that has been used regularily though not heavily. If its a single owner, I'd suspect it has been well treated.

The BMW, on the other hand, has seen ~2K miles per year. That bike has probably been ignored for extended periods. I don't trust bikes that have been ignored any more than the ones that have been abused.

Again, just my weird thinking.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 04:49 AM   #20
VAX
Founding Member

That's some good (if weird) thinking.
VAX is offline   Reply With Quote