Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   Sluggish Used Bike Market? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/1991-sluggish-used-bike-market.html)

drthompson65 07-19-2003 10:10 AM

Re: Sluggish Used Bike Market?

Wow, first post. I think the whole bike market is sluggish. Motorcyclist magazine stated that even Harley is having a hard time selling bikes. I was shocked to walk into a local dealer and weasal him down to MSRP on a night train in a matter of seconds. I personally have always ridden sport bikes. Most of my bikes I've sold took over a month. Have you tried ebay? Do you have good records? I've found all of this really helps. I was planning on selling my RC51 this month but I'm thinking now I'm going to sit on it. Anyone else noticing a slow bike market?

Hrap 07-19-2003 10:44 AM

I sold a 12-year old BMW in late March - took 3 months to sell it. Had plenty of phone calls, one tire-kicker, and finally one buyer. But also know a friend who has been trying to sell a 2002 GSXR600 with no luck ...

vfr44 07-19-2003 11:53 AM

Re:

Been watching some Honda's on e-bay - Superhawks, VFR"S and CBRXX's - hardly any of them have been reaching reserve or had bids climbing much over Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com) trade-in.

Zero bids if the initial bid is set near retail - even for clean ones w/ lots of nice aftermarket stuff (corbin seats and the like - not referring to squid stuff like mini turn signals ). Expecting nada retail in a private sell is very high expectations with the likely result being what you are seeing.

Surprisingly accessories like GIVI bags, Ohlins, Heli-bars, etc. are going very hi - maybe 70-80% of new prices at online low price dealers.

Everything sells at the right price - you just won't like the "RIGHT" price. I'm expecting a real firesale of leftover new bikes this fall - should be fun.

Abe_Froman 07-19-2003 11:57 AM

I think the problem with late-model Japanese sportbikes is that they're a dime a dozen, and yes, you could go into a dealer and spend a couple thousand more and buy a brand-new one.

I see ads in Cycle Trader all the time for R1's with several thousand miles for 7500 or $8000, so when you can go buy a brand-new one at Chicago Cycle center for $1000 more why waste time with a used one? Sportbikes are almost a disposable commodity these days; at least that's how I look at them. I love my R1 but it is merely the latest and greatest of its time and it will be replaced eventually. It's a 2000 with 11.5K on it, in great shape, but I wouldn't be asking more than $6000 and I would probably get even less.

Lowrez 07-19-2003 12:21 PM

Obviously, selling a bike in two hours is luck. At least in this part of the country (Detroit) this is the wrong season to sell a bike. The rush of new buyers is over and now theres heavy competition for sellers. Dealer's that have too much stock and folks who realize they've only ridden 200 miles since April are selling bikes and trying not to lose their shirt.

My best advice, ride it out to a street squid hang out with a for sale sign. Otherwise, you'll probably have to sit on it till next spring in order to get a fair price.

Oh, and sport bikes are definately a pain to sell because:

a) They're cheap new

b) They're easy to find

c) Owners tend to mistreat them and no one wants an abused bike.

sqidbait 07-19-2003 01:50 PM

"Great color, average mileage. It's priced around NADA retail "or best offer," so I don't think price is the problem. "

That is the problem. Why would anyone pay listed retail to a private party? I sure wouldn't.

There are people out there with the cash for a used bike - I'm one of them - but it's a buyer's market and we're all patient.

If you want to sell it, take your lumps and drop the price to something reasonable. It'll sell then.

-- Michael

electraglider_1997 07-19-2003 03:40 PM

And the motorcycle magazines always make everyone believe that the latest model is so much better than any before it. How can the little tweaks they make to each successive year be "so much better handling" than last years model which was the best ever?

nbyers 07-19-2003 06:48 PM

Yep, Price is the Thing

I'm selling my 1990 CBR1000F in a very lazy kind of way; I've done minimal advertising, had lots of interest.

But it's super-clean, has some primo extras and most importantly I'm only asking $2600. I can't find another one like mine for that cheap.

I test rode a couple of used bikes before buying a new 2002 R1 (at a screamin' deal) about six weeks ago. Those used bikes are still for sale, so I think that here in Seattle the used bike market is not all that great.

As VFR44 said, anything will sell at a price....the seller just might not like the price.

seruzawa 07-19-2003 07:14 PM

Retail price is just that. Retail. It's not the price a private seller should expect. Dealers sell at retail.

Look at it this way. If I had a choice of buying the same bike for the same price from a dealer as a private party would I go to a dealer who may allow a return policy, will provide financing and will do the paperwork for me or do I go to a private party who will never do any of the above? Many people need the financing and don't want to hassle the inspections and DMV visits. This is why private parties who think they're going to get retail are usually disappointed.

TuneREX 07-19-2003 07:15 PM

Yup, you're right. Why pay near retail to a private party? There's a ZX6E on Cycletrader right now [in CA] and the guy's asking $8500! Crikey, I was just quoted $8799 OTD for a new, orange ZX-7R. Granted, it's a bit of a dinosaur, but the same price for a ZX6E? Not gonna happen.