Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 07-22-2003, 02:47 AM   #51
pplassm
Founding Member

Default '73(74) YZ250 prices.

Actually, unfortunately, early YZ250's are very competitive in AHRMA racing, and therefore, very desireable. This also applys to just about all early 70's MXers. AHRMA racing is very popular and has priced good examples of these bikes up to the stratoshpere.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2003, 03:44 AM   #52
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Sluggish Used Bike Market?

Yeah, but by the time he pays into all the various import duties, fees, re-certifications, GreyDavis legal defense fund and miscellaneous graft he'll have paid an extra $5000 to register it in the People's Republic of Kalifornia.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:35 AM   #53
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Yes, but they were 1974 models, so my point still holds. Besides, it was a joke.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:37 AM   #54
Tigercub
Founding Member

Apart from a slightly too-high price the problem you have is that it's not a Honda f4i. But why are you getting rid of a perfectly good bike? It's probably one of the best machines anyone could ever really use on the street anyway. I'm not interested in hearing all this crap about the latest ZXRR 1000 anyway. I've ridden with a lot of motrocyclists young and old over the last 32 years and if you want to stay alive on the street and also go fast it takes years of practice not the latest whizbang motorcycle. You would be surprised what crappy motorcycles people used to race and tour on years ago. Your machine is light-years ahead of any of that old stuff. It's the rider, not the bike. If you need the money find some other way to get it and still keep the bike. You may regret selling it. When it gets some real mileage on it (>50k) then you won't worry about selling it.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 08:38 AM   #55
Haird
Founding Member

I saw an new, holdover 01 SV at a local Suzuki dealer in the Chicago area a couple of months ago. Apparently, the SV market is not red-hot everywhere.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 10:12 AM   #56
Holzar
Founding Member

Default Re: Sluggish New Bike Market

I've seen exactly what Betamax is talking about. Each Saturday I get the Rocky Mountain News to see how much lower bikes are this week. Last week, one store had NEW '02 VFRs for sale (non-ABS) for $6899--that's $3100 under retail. Another store had '03s for sale for $7400. Yet another store has already discounted new 03 SV650s to 4600 and SV650Ss to 4999. Those bikes have only been in the stores a few months, but they're already at end of the season sale prices. Pretty much whatever you want new, you can get it for at least a grand under retail, if not a lot more.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:11 PM   #57
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default People want to jam it to ya

Here's a different way to look at selling something you've had and used. What if you had been renting that bike for that same period of time and had to just give it back. Chances are it would have cost you plenty. Since you didn't rent and have depreciating equity in your bike you should not expect to be able to ream the guy who is interested in taking it off your hands. If all the Type 1 people would just quit being such a-holes and just realize they are not in the driver's seat in the transaction and that is the way it should be. Sell the bike and move on. Don't try to corn hole your fellow man, be fair and think about the happiness that your bike is going to give this person. Enough of my rambling.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 01:14 PM   #58
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

How can I get my money to help out ole Grey Davis?
Old 07-22-2003, 01:21 PM   #59
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Tigercub

You are right on the money. Heck, I rode my 70's Honda CB750 back and forth from Camp Lejeune to Iowa (1200 miles one way) many times back in the 70's. They were cutting edge back then and every morning I'd have to adjust all the valves or suffer <25 mpg. Other than that problem it was a great bike. I still have it in my folk's garage. I like to fantasize about the latest and greatest but keep my bikes for around 10 years or more before moving on. By that time there really is a difference to be actually seen and felt.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:32 PM   #60
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: neener neener yo' sef'

I just got home from an (almost) 300 mile day of crankin' and bankin' with my bud. Didn't add any oil to the Triumph, the lights kept working and my buds Dyna sport kept up in the corners.

We both suffered some serious peg grindage though, and I got a sunburn from my shorts, sandas and T shirt. so there.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote