Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 07-21-2003, 06:24 AM   #31
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Sluggish Used Bike Market?

To add to your first point, an additional problem, especially with any kind of smaller sportbike (especially 600's) is that many of the ones you see have had the snot kicked out of them by the previous owner(s), and many people now are getting wise to that, and are hesitant to buy unless there's some kind of warranty, service history, or something to let them know it has been taken care of.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2003, 06:31 AM   #32
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Yeah '73 YZ250's were really crappy- so crappy, in fact, that they didn't even bother making them until two years later!
Old 07-21-2003, 06:47 AM   #33
nbyers
Registered Member

Default Yep, sold it.

Sold the abovementioned CBR on Saturday to a very enthusiastic buyer. He was properly appreciative of its clean original condition (original pipes, even the seat looks new) so I was glad to sell it to him. No haggling, he just paid cash.
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 06:57 AM   #34
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

I don't know about the rest of the country, but in the Midwest there is a massive price war taking place. The big Chicago shop drives much of that price war. In the Minneapolis area you can pick up R1s, GSX-R1000s, 954s, and even one of the few ZX-9Rs that dealers ordered for under $9K out the door, including tax and license. A careful shopper might be able to find a 954 for right around $8K out the door. That makes it darn hard to sell a used bike for $7K. Especially when the dealer can offer low-interest financing and monthly payments of $150 or less.

Right now it seems the only way to sell a used sportbike in this area is to take it in the shorts on the price. I've been seeing a lot of 2000-2002 ZX-6R Kawasakis in the paper for $4,500 or less. It would be hard to get more when local dealers are advertising ZX-6RRs for $6700 and ZX-6Rs for $7200.

If anyone ever asks my advice on selling a bike in the current market, I answer, "Don't." Right now it's damned hard to sell a late-model sportbike for enough to pay off your loan.

Lobotomy_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 07:04 AM   #35
nbyers
Registered Member

Default Two Kinds of People....

My experience is that there are two kinds of people: The kind who think their stuff (bike, car, house, stereo, etc.) is worth much more than it is, and the kind who think that it's worth less than it is.

There seem to be very few people who are in between.

My recommendation is to buy your used stuff (bike, car, house, stereo, etc.) from the second kind of person, of course. Skip the guy/gal with the 1998 Kawasaki ZX900 (a great, underrated bike) with the rusty chain and chipped plastic who wants $6000 and travel straight to the guy/gal with the same bike which has been maintained and garaged for $4500.

A great place to overview the used market is CycleTrader. Searchable on line in seconds; if you're looking for a specific bike you can watch the ads for a couple of weeks. Overpriced/underwanted bikes will stay posted and this will give you an idea of what the market actually is. Then as the buyer you can be confident on what is a fair and/or good deal.

Unfortunately for my wallet, I'm definitely one of the second type of person.
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 07:10 AM   #36
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

Sometimes a seller will have better luck with an oddball bike like the ZX-6E than with more popular bikes, but luck is the key. There aren't a hell of a lot of people looking for the E model because the R model is just about as comfortable, has a more tractable engine, and offers loads more performance.

The selling point for the E model is that it has a very low seat height for a sportbike. Because of this, a lot of short people, chicks mostly, dig the E, and when they get their hearts set on buying one moving heaven and earth won't dissuade them. For a lot of inseam-challenged riders, the ZX-6E is their only ticket into the sporty bike market.

The trouble is dealers order very few E versions so it's damned near impossible to find one in a showroom. They don't order many of these bikes because hardly anyone wants to buy them, but for those short people who do want one, often the used-bike market is their only option.

Thus, the poster may well be able to get a decent price for his or her ZX-6E, provided he or she is lucky enough to be selling it at the exact same time a short person is looking to buy such a bike. $4900 is unrealistic, but if the bike is really nice and well-maintained, $4500 is not unthinkable, though $4000-$4300 is probably more likely.
Lobotomy_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 07:32 AM   #37
wfowade
Founding Member

If the bike is in pristine condition, average retail from a private party is reasonable. The key is visibility. Buying from a private party vs a dealer should not really impact the price just the time it takes to sell it. Dealers receive lots of walk in traffic and some folks actually buy on impulse. As a long time rider, I have owned lots of bikes but bought a RC 51 just because it was there and available at the time. Condition is the biggest factor in determining price. Beyond that, it's getting a qualified buyer to look at the product. This is true whether you are selling homes, bikes, cars, boats etc.
wfowade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 07:44 AM   #38
TuneREX
Founding Member

I'm in exactly the same bind. I've been watching Cycletrader and my local sites [Bay Area] since April. I'm getting fed up with seeing used bikes priced 85-90% of new. With any used bike, I start my offer at 60% and go downward from there. Mind you, I have a year-round season and can afford to wait a coupla months. But my local dealership is packed with leftover bikes and buying used is getting less and less interesting.
TuneREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 08:17 AM   #39
RickZ
Founding Member

It depends on the bike, I think, but yeah, the market in general has tanked. Tried selling my 2001 R1100RT, but haven't had any luck. It didn't help that the 1150 came out, and now the Twin Spark. Not to mention that BMW chose to offer low financing to celebrate their 80th just as I needed to sell my bike. Thanks a lot, BMW. Tons of 1100RT's are on the market now, and nobody is getting what they want for them.
RickZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 09:51 AM   #40
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Re: Sluggish New Bike Market

ROTFLMAO!

It's OK, except that it was manufactured by Honda...which according to MO lately is the Anti-Christ...
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote