Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 07-20-2003, 01:18 PM   #21
triumph900
Founding Member

Default Re: Do your homework, MO

I would never give retail for a bike from a private seller. Trade in is the target here. Most buyers understand that the seller is only going to get trade in value at a dealer (IF they are lucky), so why buy a premium to the seller? It is a very tough market now, and many new bikes can be had well below MSRP, and many with very cheap financing. Those are the main reasons the used bike market is slow.
triumph900 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2003, 03:52 PM   #22
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default Minor Exception

That darn Ninja 250 sells above trade-in value and it sells fast. At least, that has been my experience in the Detroit area. I mentioned off hand to a BMW dealer that my wife had a Ninja and he made me an offer on the spot. We weren't even selling it!
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 06:34 PM   #23
NotoriousDJW
Registered Member

Default Re: Do your homework, MO

KBB may be useless happy talk but you have a bike that is as bland as can be and the marketplace does work for these things. Lower your price and be amazed!

BTW, I just helped out the used bike market by ridding it of a meticulously maintaned 1990 VFR750 with 15k miles and the cleanest white wheels you've ever seen. Just $3500 for what was once the sweetest bike made!
NotoriousDJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 08:02 PM   #24
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Some Thoughts:

http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/13809075.html

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 09:58 PM   #25
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Sluggish New Bike Market

It's a comparatively sluggish new bike market as well this year...that's not just my opinion, but what I've heard from several people in sales.

To combat this trend, dealers are dropping new prices, especially on left-over '02s, but even on new '03s. In fact, I've seen new '03s going at left-over '02 prices...amazing.

And so the second-hand market is even more sluggish---because private owners are selling their bikes based on what they paid for the bike when new, but you can buy a new bike for not much more than what they're asking.

Dealers understand that prices are market-driven, but private owners want to sell at a price based on their original purchase price, whether there's a market for it or not.

I bought a new left-over VFR for only $500 more than a private owner was advertising his VFR with 10k miles on it. So why buy second hand?
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 02:42 AM   #26
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: Sluggish Used Bike Market?

No doubt!... I agree... it's fun to watch the ads.

I imagine that they would chalk it up to: 2.3748% better 'x' is still -better- (where 'x' is whatever metric they are touting this week). Whether the typical rider can discern this improvment is up for debate, and no doubt I could not discern it either! This is why I ride a collection of two-stroke grey-bikes from the late 80's and early 90's and not the latest-n-greatest, b/c for me, they (my bikes) are the peak and I will likely never out-ride them all. (RZ350, TZR250, RG500).

-James
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 03:42 AM   #27
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Sluggish New Bike Market

How does it compare to an SV650 or Concours?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 04:26 AM   #28
cbordeleau
Founding Member

I am now shopping for a used bike but might be switching to new bike shopping...

Most people selling 1-3 year old bikes want as much & sometimes more the the dealers are charging new... Now maybe its me but a three year old bike that is listed for $100 less the what the dealer offered an 03 for seems a bit out of line. No one wants less then kbb for anything and to make people an resonable offer that is 25% below what they are asking makes me feel like an ass.

People selling bikes this time of year figure they still have a month of strong bike sales time left... but I would be hard press to buy anything to close to the end of the season (live in western NY season is kinda short) that I would just be packing away in a couple of months...

It has been a longs July of used shopping... just wanted to vent a bit.

Chris

cbordeleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 05:19 AM   #29
seruzawa
The Toad

Maybe it's the easy availability of KBB and NADA prices over the internet in recent years that has contributed to the ridiculous asking prices for used bikes. I've noticed a huge increase of would-be sellers claiming that their clapped out 79 400 Hawk or their 73 YZ250 (a crappy dirt bike in the first place) is a "collector's item". Before the rise of the internet people used to price their bikes more in line with what they thought they themselves would pay for it. Now everyone seems to think that they are Cal Worthington or that their abused hunk-a-junk is a rarity.

20 year old bikes with asking prices of more than original purchase price are not uncommon. Is it mass delusion? What poses people to think that their 6 year old Intruder that sold for $7000 originally is going to sell for $5000? I've seen idiocies like this. I don't care if it's only got 3K miles on it. It's 6 freakin' years old fer crissakes! And since it's seldom ridden there's a good chance that the seals are dried out and soon to leak.

Too much self-esteem? Too much marijuana? What makes people think that their used stuff is so valuable?

Old 07-21-2003, 05:20 AM   #30
torrnado
Founding Member

"You might also want to consider that you're at the end of the riding season in some markets. (SHUTUP YOU FOLKS IN CA, LUCKY BASTARDS)..."

he he he

-Lucky Bastard in Sandyeggo
torrnado is offline   Reply With Quote