Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 07-10-2003, 09:52 AM   #21
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Re: Looking for a GT

Get a Connie or a VFR.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2003, 09:52 AM   #22
maladg
Registered Member

"maladg is deranged"
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 12:36 PM   #23
EARLJR
Founding Member

I have a zx12 and its used for daily commuting, and sport riding it is easily the lightest, quickest handling GT class of bike. It also has shim adjustable ride hight which makes it handle like one person is on it when touring two up and loaded for bear. The brakes smoke the cbr1100xx and busas also.

efj
EARLJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 02:07 PM   #24
rvfrules
Founding Member

Buy a used BMW K1200RS. 130hp/155mph is more than enough for the street. Hard luggage, shaft drive, great seat for two, telelever, ABS. What more could you want?
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 02:11 PM   #25
dnakase
Founding Member

I have a '02 ZX-12R. (AND '01 SVS650 and no it won't cure all ya'lls ills)

When 2 up riding I day dream about a GoldWing. Short of that I'd try to convince my passenger to learn to ride.

I'm always worrying about my passenger shooting off the back every time I crack the throttle. Every time I apply those most excelent brakes I get slammed into the tank. (OK, I taught her to put her hand down on the tank when expereincing negative G-forces, but some times she forgets)

Motorcycles personal modes of transport. I bought what I wanted. I put up with the frieght of having a person who cares about me and wants to share that expereince.

dnakase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 03:08 PM   #26
JALacroix
Founding Member

'max-

while i usually agree with your posts wholeheartedly (like your helmet law posts) i disagree with ya this time. he wants more motor, not considerably less. i almost bought a VFR myself but rode the VTR and had to buy that (and save the $2k).

my suggestion is either the CBR1100XX or ZZR1200. good luck!
JALacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 05:00 PM   #27
banda
Founding Member

Interestingly, I traded my 97 CBRXX for a '02 SV650 last year.

The SV handles better, is more comfortable, and has the same luggage and passenger carrying capabilities. It is also cheaper to buy, maintain, and insure. It's a ****load easier to hustle around a track on track days.

Less is more.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 07:13 PM   #28
12er
Founding Member

I'll second that one, but I'm not selling mine so dont even ask...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 02:17 AM   #29
Hadji
Founding Member

Default I'm a Travelling Man....

I'll be travelling from Southeast MO. This will be my first rally, but it's also a scouting trip to check out the track. I'd love to do a track day there and IF MotoGP comes there next year, I want to be there. Living so close, it must be tantalizing for you to hear all the action at the track. It's too bad, we don't get MOron hats, t-shirts, armbands or stickers or other schwag (Ahem, like some leftover review items?) with a subscription. ;-} Then it would be easier to identify other MOrons at these functions or on the road. Maybe I'll just yell out "MOrons of the world, unite!" and see who comes running. Hmmmm.....maybe not.

Singles and Twins Forever!
Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 12:06 AM   #30
wunderbra
Founding Member

IMO, linked brakes are dangerous and should be banned. Don't buy an XX. I had one and now have a 929 on which I have clocked 20k happy miles.

The XX met an untimely end when a motorist did a u-turn across my path. I had the front lever pinned as hard as I dare, all that was left for more braking force was the rear pedal. As you probably know, there is a link between rear brake pedal and some of the front brake pistons. Braking effort to the front is on some kind of delay switch. When I added more force to the rear, there was a very brief delay and the power cut into the front, sharply. The front tyre locked and the bike slid into the side of the car.

The bikes wheelbase was reduced by 5 inches! and I got a broken nose when I head butted her (yes, HER) car.

I know that any other bike I have ever owned would have stopped in the distance I was left with. Had their been no delay in the extra braking effort coming in on the front, or had the system been more predictable, I might have been able to control the slide. Better still, if there was no linking nonsense, the front would have had more power to begin with, and I would have had more braking power for longer.

I say again, these brakes should be banned.
wunderbra is offline   Reply With Quote